Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chain Coupler

Post Thanks / Like

Chain Coupler

Name:  coupler1.jpg
Views: 1076
Size:  204.2 KB Was gonna do the holes last night, but thought I was out of distilled water for the coolant tank....................After driving clear to town today, buying some gallons....................I see another gallon that was hiding under some stuff in the back of the pickup

2. Likes scoobyz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Chain Coupler

Just a tip on distilled water, Mother nature provides distilled water every time it rains, fresh from the down spot. The sun evaporates moisture from the lakes, trees, ground, sea etc. Gathers in the clouds and when enough is collected it dumps it in the form of rain. plus it's free for the taking, just have to run it through a coffee filter and plan ahead of needing it. Bob

4. Likes farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I get a supply of distilled water via the condensate from our gas furnace to supply our humidifier. I have a 3 way valve to direct water into a 5 gal water bottle which I siphon from to fill the humidifier tank or direct it outside.
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

6. Likes farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  coupler2.jpg
Views: 983
Size:  228.0 KB Was ready to turn the pins, and the chuck wouldn't close. All that boring for the gas tank filler neck, filled the inside of the chuck with chips. Note how the jaw positions are labeled on the chuck for disassembly. You have to match the jaws with the right slot, or the chuck won't center properly.

Name:  coupler3.jpg
Views: 988
Size:  238.1 KB Just some of the trash in the scroll. It was pretty bad, but it's been a year since I cleaned it out. Reassembled it with a very light coat of oil on the scroll, and jaw teeth.

Name:  coupler4.jpg
Views: 981
Size:  239.5 KB I was really happy with the cleaning. The chuck had developed some pretty serious runout. Getting rid of the crap brought runout back to around .0025-.003, which is pretty good for a 3 jaw. At least that's what it measured at with a piece of rusty cold roll in it. It might be better with a good piece of HSS round tool stock that's actually ground true.

Name:  coupler5.jpg
Views: 984
Size:  221.9 KB The pins are pressed into the plate, and will be welded on the backside. It's a simple thing I guess, but it ought to keep K'kins from getting frustrated trying to chain portable cattle panels together. We use portable panels in place of gates sometimes, and they have to be chained together. Used to be, the cows saw the panels, and stopped.................then they got wise, and learned to push them out of the way. Now they have to be chained together so that the cows can't push them. The cattle will mill around, and try to push the panels when we open them up...............it's a bit nerve wracking.......this will make the process fast, and simple.

All that's left to do is weld the pins, and weld the chain to the plate.

8. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    Name:  coupler2.jpg
Views: 983
Size:  228.0 KB Was ready to turn the pins, and the chuck wouldn't close. All that boring for the gas tank filler neck, filled the inside of the chuck with chips. Note how the jaw positions are labeled on the chuck for disassembly. You have to match the jaws with the right slot, or the chuck won't center properly.
    I'm feeling contrary this morning so I'll disagree. So long as the jaws don't bind in a different slot, it doesn't matter which slot you start with but you do have to put the jaws into the scroll in the proper order as their accuracy in closing is relative to the engagement between the teeth on the jaw and the scroll. It's not a bad idea to keep them in the same slots but if the chuck is machined properly to begin with, where you start shouldn't matter. And after years of use a 4 jaw independent jaw chuck can be more precise IMHO, but three jaw self-centering is close enough for most of what I do. Carry on.
    ---Meltedmetal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rhunt View Post
    Just a tip on distilled water, Mother nature provides distilled water every time it rains, fresh from the down spot. Bob
    Completely False.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

We can agree to disagree. Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rhunt View Post
    We can agree to disagree. Bob
    Iím not agreeing to anything.
    If you want to disagree with Scientific facts, thatís your business.

Rain water is NOT distilled water.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

13. Likes MinnesotaDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree to agree with John T.....

15. Likes rhunt, MinnesotaDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Last time I bought distilled water it was about $1.50 CDN per US Gallon. If you want your own source you could always buy something like this:https://www.h2olabs.com/p-50-conveni...reservior.aspx But converting it to distill alcohol is a no-no.
    ---Meltedmetal

Post Thanks / Like

During WWII , the US Navy sent a barge up the James River from Norfolk , to west of Williamsburg to purchase the well water that came out of the well on my BIL's farm.

The mineral content was so low, the water could be used to fill lead-acid batteries and other places that ultra low content water was needed.

I would imagine that the cooler on a TIG welder is not as critical to solids as a battery on a war ship??

That water also went to their home,, when you took a shower, it was almost impossible to get the "feel" of soap to go away.
    The water was amazing. Coincidentally, the rain water that runs off of my shed feels identical when you wash your hands using the water.
    I have a 55 gallon barrel that catches the water,, just for the purpose of hand washing.

So, I would say, that our rain water is pretty low in solids.

On the other hand, the water sold in a grocery store in a plastic jug, and labeled "DISTILLED",,
    is not distilled like moonshine is done in a Franklin County VA still,,

To remove most of the solids, the water company has some low cost process that filters the water,,
    it meets the specification of "distilled" ,, so they can label it as such.

I think it is similar to the process that they use to remove water from maple tree sap.
    Maple syrup used to be a boiling process, but, boiling is way to energy expensive to make cost effective syrup.

So, the tree guys know how to "filter" the sugar out of the sap,, as a way to increase profit.

18. Likes rhunt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    I’m not agreeing to anything.
    If you want to disagree with Scientific facts, that’s your business.

Rain water is NOT distilled water.
    why is rainwater not distilled water after you filter out the dirt particles the rain picks up as falling rain drops?
    lincoln 125sp
    dayton 250 ac/dc
    miller 211 w/spool gun
    ahp 200 sx tig
    lotos ltp5000d
    kubota b3200 FEL BH
    of course duramax diesel

Post Thanks / Like

I will propose that rainwater falls into "used to be" distilled water. After it falls though a 1/2 mile of polluted air, who knows what is dissolved in it?
    ---Meltedmetal

21. Likes Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duramax-rob View Post
    why is rainwater not distilled water after you filter out the dirt particles the rain picks up as falling rain drops?
    I imagine it might be.

But thats another discussion and added process.

To come out and say "Rain water is Distilled water" .... would be an inaccurate statement. (technically)

I guess it falls into the category of "same thing/only different"
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

Post Thanks / Like

Rain drops usually form around dust particles so that is one difference. The second difference is the pH. Gasses in the atmosphere get dissolved in raindrops, making them acidic. Distilled water starts out at a pH of 7.0 but becomes acidic over time as it also absorbs atmospheric gasses (ph of 6.9-5.5). But rain water in many areas is demonstrably more acid (pH of 4-5- Acid rain). I really don't want to put a weak acid in my TIG cooler if I can help it, plus those acids make rain water more conductive. I don't know at what point that becomes an issue with HF. But to say rainwater equals distilled water is demonstrably false.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    But to say rainwater equals distilled water is demonstrably false.

I totally agree that rainwater is not distilled,,
    The main issue is the variation of rain from location, to location, and what society is doing at that time.

My rain USED TO BE acidic,, 6.0 at least, and some times more acidic,,
    Because of my interest in gardening, I have monitored pH of rain frequently over the last 20 years.
    I was convinced that the rain would ALWAYS be acidic,,

Well, over the last 24 months, I have tested the rain water pH at least monthly, because of my attempt to improve garden plants such as blueberries.
    (Some crops require 5.9 or lower[more acidic] pH,,)

My rain water has consistently been 7.0 for the last 2 years. I live in Virginia, and I am seeing improvements in some crops by adding sulfur.
    Many articles tell East Coast USA residents to never increase acidity,, well,, that has changed,, where I live.

About 50 miles west of me was a coal powered generating plant,, that is now shut down.
    Who knows how many coal burning operations are closed.

No coal burning,, acidity reduces.

I have purchased 5 different pH testing systems, as well as having the local pool store do the testing.
    When close to 7.0, pH is VERY hard to get accurate test results. That is also an issue I have beed trying to get around,,,

Post Thanks / Like

Plain and simple...."distilled" water describes water that is condensed from steam in a distillation apparatus...nothing more, nothing less. It's not rain, not dewdrops, not any of that. Talk about a runaway thread.

What happened to the chain coupler???!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shortfuse View Post
    Plain and simple...."distilled" water describes water that is condensed from steam in a distillation apparatus...nothing more, nothing less. It's not rain, not dewdrops, not any of that. Talk about a runaway thread.

Some of these threads tend to wander off like a lost soul. Some will further educate you and some just become meaningless.
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for sammm's sake...this one went off the rails....back to the chain couplers????? I like his farm projects.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for sammm's sake...this one went off the rails....back to the chain couplers????? I like his farm projects.
    Thats funny...
    Usually it's Sammm that runs the threads off the rails....
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

29. Likes E T, Shootr, farmersammm, vwguy3 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

steam is just a rapid form of natural evaporation so that can be it. i know in college chemistry we used de-ionized distilled water. that was to get rid of any molecules of (can't remember now). maybe someone else can complete my sentence and explanation. thanks ahead of time.
    lincoln 125sp
    dayton 250 ac/dc
    miller 211 w/spool gun
    ahp 200 sx tig
    lotos ltp5000d
    kubota b3200 FEL BH
    of course duramax diesel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    Thats funny...
    Usually it's Sammm that runs the threads off the rails....
    So true, but sam's derailments are allways fun to read.
    Fronius Transpocket 180
    Kemppi minarc 150
    Esab powercut 400

32. Likes farmersammm, vwguy3 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  coupler6.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  184.5 KB Finished this about 2 weeks ago. Upload some pics of where it's being used later in the evening.

Our transponder tower got taken out by what they think MIGHT have been a tornado about 2 weeks ago. It's about 5 miles from the house, and sends the signal to my dish for internet. They just got it back up today. I guess it was totally destroyed, including ruining the concrete foundation.

34. Likes Shootr, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You better give Kkins some instruction using those hitch clips. In my experience they like to bite fingers, LOL!!
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

36. Likes farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea... the stiff ones they used to put in hood pins were pretty much like loading a mouse trap. Welcome back Sam.
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

38. Likes 12V71, farmersammm liked this post