+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PowerMax 45 1.25" Cut

Post Thanks / Like

PowerMax 45 1.25" Cut

Does everyone remember this one from Nov 2008. The PowerMax 45 had just hit the market. Jim Colt had shown it off at FAB TECH in Vegas doing a remarkable two (2) inch cut. Right then and there I knew had to have one.

Well here are those pictures from Nov 2008 which I posted along with a section of the thread

11-17-2008, 06:09 PM
    specter
    Master Welder Join Date: Aug 2008

Hypertherm PowerMax vs 1.25" AISI 1030 Steel

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok Jim Colt of Hypertherm asked for some pics of me doing something with this machine.

Well back home I decided to set up for this I thought OK I am going to exceed the rated 1" capacity. I didn't clean the steel. I did my full setup for a free hand cut. The steel was properly grounded, the air pressure set at 95psi, amps set at the Max 45. Then decided to take some pics 1st.

Pic #1 is of the 1.25" AISI 1030 steel piece
    Pic #2 is of the torch consumables before use. (hey I figured I was going to destroy the tip)
    Pic #3 is a straight down shot of the completed free hand cut
    Pic #4 is a straight on front shot of the completed cut
    Pic #5 is a shot of the dropped cut
    Pic #6 is a shot of the torch consumables after the cut

The cut was again relatively clean and uniform and showed the 15 degree angel of cut with little dross. The straight down shot of the cut was amazingly straight and uniform. When I got to the end of the cut I did turn the torch to the side to free the cut piece being held on by residual dross.

Now I know the max rated cut capacity was 1" in Mild Steel I exceeded that capacity by 25%
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Co-Own CNC shop:Miller :1251 plasma cutter, MaxStar 700 TIG/Stick, & XMT 456 Multiprocess Welder.& 2 Hypertherm HPR260's Plasma Cutter

Sorry I had a bad stroke but now I am back.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: PowerMax 45 1.25" Cut

Picture#6
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Co-Own CNC shop:Miller :1251 plasma cutter, MaxStar 700 TIG/Stick, & XMT 456 Multiprocess Welder.& 2 Hypertherm HPR260's Plasma Cutter

Sorry I had a bad stroke but now I am back.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist