Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alternator as an emergency welder question

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Alternator as an emergency welder question

Just so I'm not responsible for any misinformation...
    I ground/cut keyways using the dremel for a lawnmower about the same time, so I could be getting confused somewhat.
    I do remember the counter-bore though!
    I'd go and look at it for you 'weld' but I'm thousands miles away from the unit just now.

Rick V

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by weld View Post
    I am going to get a Delco AD244 145 amp and use that for the welder. I can get and aftermarket drop in rectifier w/o avalanche diodes.
    Quote Originally Posted by weld View Post
    The AD244 was $50, the 6-70A non-avalanche rectifier is $50, an upgraded 240 amp stator is $75 (if I go that route).
    Sorry to dredge up such an old thread, but can anyone point be in the direction of a 6-70A non-avalanche rectifier for a AD244?

Even just a part number would be helpful. Maybe my google-fu sucks, but all I can find is this thread.
    Hobart 210 MVP
    HTP Invertig 221 + cooler
    Everlast SuperUltra 205

Post Thanks / Like

Alternatorman.com probably has them.

To clear up some misinformation on avalanche diodes in automotive alternators....they're supposed to fail at around 19 volts IIRC. Other avalanche diodes may(probably do) have higher or lower failure points.

Need to finish my weldernator/12v generator project. Mine's got a 17hp briggs and will start out with a 150 amp Delco 22SI alternator. I might eventually put on one of the 240 or 320 amp Leece Neville monsters I have laying around. Since I'm a machinist, I made a serpentine(Micro V if you want the "proper" name) pulley that uses 8 rib belts. Need to weld one more piece to the frame to finish the alternator mounting..probably need to redo the fuel tank mount as well since it kinda sucks.

Post Thanks / Like

I just convert the AD244 and DR44G serries alternators to external rectification and use a generic 500v, 500 amp 3 phase bridge rectifier when I make one into a welder.
    These bridge rectifier units say they are 500 amp but they are the size of about a 150 to 200 amp units I find in very large abb motor drives.
    old Miller spectrum 625
    Lincoln SP-135 T, CO2+0.025 wire
    Miller model 250 and WP-18V torch
    Craftsman 100amp AC/DC and WP-17V torch
    Century 115-004 HF arc stabilizer
    Home made 4 transformer spot welder
    Home made alternator welder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mad welder 4 View Post
    I just convert the AD244 and DR44G serries alternators to external rectification and use a generic 500v, 500 amp 3 phase bridge rectifier when I make one into a welder.
    These bridge rectifier units say they are 500 amp but they are the size of about a 150 to 200 amp units I find in very large abb motor drives.
    Yep, been looking at the MDS500A chinese rectifiers which are about ~$60.

Name:  Three-phase-bridge-rectifier-bridge-MDS500A1600V-MDS500-16-MDS-500A-1600V.jpg_640x640.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  67.0 KB

That or some CS144 rectifiers and try to make them fit on the AD244 or in their own box. I'm not convinced parallel rectifiers is a good idea given most silicon devices have a negative temperature coefficient.

What sort of heatsink do you run on your external rectifier?

In my application it would be an on board welder on a truck and serve normal alternator duty most of the time. And winching would likely be the highest load.
    Hobart 210 MVP
    HTP Invertig 221 + cooler
    Everlast SuperUltra 205

Post Thanks / Like

I made something once. I wanted to build a compact battery charger/welder/ac output power/air compressor/etc. deal all in a package the size of a honda eu2000i.

12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    I only have a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829

Post Thanks / Like

I used one of those "500 amp" 3 phase bridge rectifiers like you have pictured there.
    For the heat sink I used a huge one out of an MRI machine, overkill perhaps. I had to get it off eBay the ones I always find at the scrap yard are kind of tiny.

I did parallel rectifiers on my AC buzz box to AC/DC conversation. The tapped transformer smoked before the rectifiers did.
    I also run parallel rectifiers on my transformer tig.
    After doing both setups I believe the single brick rectifier is best.
    old Miller spectrum 625
    Lincoln SP-135 T, CO2+0.025 wire
    Miller model 250 and WP-18V torch
    Craftsman 100amp AC/DC and WP-17V torch
    Century 115-004 HF arc stabilizer
    Home made 4 transformer spot welder
    Home made alternator welder