+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 41 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Welding table picture thread

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welding table picture thread

Can nuts be welded to the bottom of the plate with out causing warping in the plate?
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

You dont need a mag drill for 3/8 plate. Get a supervisor to keep you straight and thru bolt it through the tubing below. Countersink it with a hand drill. You'll probably only need a few.
    You need a mag drill if you're tapping the frame or using those overpriced clamps from StrongArm, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Shimanek View Post
    I welded on my 3/4 plate top, not knowing any better......wish i hadn't. Top bowed substantially and it will be a pain in the okole to fix.
    Steve,

I'm seem to recall watching a video you had of that table build. You just got way carried away with welding that top on. When I talk about "welding" a top on I'm only talking about using a couple of small "tack" welds. Mostly just for the purpose of keeping the top from sliding around on the base it's sitting on. But also here and there at times for keeping any bowed up places in the plate down tight after you pull it down with clampage.

As to bolts being a better option in case you ever want to take the top back off it in the future well, as long as you locate these small tack welds in areas you can get at easily with a zip disc it'll come right back off there just as easy as unbolting it.

Post Thanks / Like

I welded 4 inch pipe vertically in the corners of my plate for legs, and a horizontal brace just under the top; that was enough to bow the plate at least an inch on each end. I do plan on trying to reverse the problem, but am waiting for the chain fall I ordered to get here. The come along is destroyed, and no one sells rigging gear here.

Post Thanks / Like

I put quite a few beefy tacks all over the place - didn't warp much at all. Maybe a couple .020 dips here and there - not enough for me to worry about for what I do.

(pic failed to load ????)

Post Thanks / Like

Yea, the site is having pic issues this weekend...
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

I also welded mine. 3'x6' table with 10 1" welds on short angle iron pieces (eaxtactly where HT2 illustrated). Thought it would be easier to cut the .120 angle than grind out a weld.

Post Thanks / Like

I welded 4 inch pipe vertically in the corners of my plate for legs, and a horizontal brace just under the top; that was enough to bow the plate at least an inch on each end. I do plan on trying to reverse the problem, but am waiting for the chain fall I ordered to get here. The come along is destroyed, and no one sells rigging gear here.
    Well, that's what you did wrong. You never make the top a structural part of the table. You build some kind of base support structure and just set the top plate on it. Then you put just a very few small tack welds on it to keep it from sliding around.

If it's any consolation to you... I buggered up the first welding table I ever tried to build by doing the exact same thing. I warped the hell out of a 3' x 5' piece of 1" plate by welding 4 pieces of I-beam to it for legs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Can nuts be welded to the bottom of the plate with out causing warping in the plate?
    Depends on how thick the plate is and how much weld you think you need on your nutz.

Post Thanks / Like

HT2 I am thinking of tacking the nuts on just enough so they don't come off when bolts are torqued on.

Quote Originally Posted by tackit View Post
    How about welding 3/8 angle iron clips just to the legs of the table and drill through both the top and 3/8 angles with the top positioned squarely on the frame. Cut threads in the 3/8 angle and after all the holes have been drilled, shim the top plate over the frame high enough you can counter sink and enlarge the screw bolt holes in the top for the screw bolts to pass through. Or run hex head bolts from the bottom into your threaded top and grind the exiting bolts down to table
    I have tried drilling my welding table plate. 1/2" AR500 plate :/ and all I was able to do is ruin drill bits.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

HT2 I have learned the error of my ways; can you now please quit reminding me of it?? where is the beating the dead horse emoji?

Post Thanks / Like

HT2 I am thinking of tacking the nuts on just enough so they don't come off when bolts are torqued on.

I have tried drilling my welding table plate. 1/2" AR500 plate :/ and all I was able to do is ruin drill bits.
    N2,

I'm confused as to how welding a nut to a piece of plate is going to help you get it bolted to something. You might have to draw me a picture.

If it were me....I'd fore go all this worry (and the extra dicken around it'd take to do) over bolting it on and just use a couple of small tack welds to hold the top in place and keep it from sliding around. In other words...just get it done so you can start using it. A couple of 1/2" long 3/16" fillet welds aren't going to effect the flatness of a piece of 1/2" AR plate. At least not to any noticeable degree for the kinds of things you're likely to use it for.

Why'd you go with AR plate for the top?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R. Danneskjold View Post
    I also welded mine. 3'x6' table with 10 1" welds on short angle iron pieces (eaxtactly where HT2 illustrated). Thought it would be easier to cut the .120 angle than grind out a weld.
    Ragnar,

So, how'd it turn out?

PS: How's the Pirating thing doing? Please keep me in mind in case you ever find yourself needing an extra deck hand for that operation.

Post Thanks / Like

HT2 I have learned the error of my ways; can you now please quit reminding me of it?? where is the beating the dead horse emoji?
    Steve,

Sorry man but it's seemed like you were seeking (or could use) some advice. I know you're working with limited resources so you do have my sympathies for that.

Another thing that's just come back to me about that video of yours I watched... I did some cringing in a few places watching you try and flip that over. You need to start paying a lot more attention to where your feet are when doing stuff like that.

As to beating a dead horse well, experience has taught me that if you're gonna beat on a horse it's a lot safer to do it to a dead one because the live ones often have a tendency to fight back.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought scrap steel at .50 per pound and did not know it was AR plate.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought scrap steel at .50 per pound and did not know it was AR plate.
    Well that's certainly understandable. I was curious as to if maybe you went to some extra expense because you thought (or were told) it would make for a better work surface. And as you've found out it's got a least one downside because it's not all that easy to drill a hole in it if the need for such arises.

On the upside though....if you ever find yourself in an armed stand off with a Government Agency it'd be a good thing to tip over and hunker behind.

Post Thanks / Like

Other than drilling holes in it, how do you like the AR plate for a work surface. Was planning to use that for my next table. Probably 1/2-3/4" thick.

Post Thanks / Like

It is only a 2'x3' surface and I have only used it a handfull of times. I like it except it gets magnetized very easy. Witch can attribute to some arc blow. It has been propped up on a couple of aluminum saw horses since I got it. I need to build a frame for it with casters. One of these days I will get around to it.

Post Thanks / Like

HT2; based on your response to N2, I can tell you are a good man, so i won't hold it against you....as you know, sometimes you have to do what you have to do....it was not as bad as it might have seemed in the video, and resources, human and otherwise, are indeed scarce. Not how i would have done it in an OSHA approved shop...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HT2-4956 View Post
    Ragnar,

So, how'd it turn out?

PS: How's the Pirating thing doing? Please keep me in mind in case you ever find yourself needing an extra deck hand for that operation.
    Turned out ok. Posted a build thread here. You gave some good ideas for improving the next one.

http://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthread.php...ild&highlight=

Will keep you mind
    Last edited by R. Danneskjold; 03-26-2018 at 06:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R. Danneskjold View Post
    Turned out ok. Posted a build thread here. You gave some good ideas for improving the next one.

http://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthread.php...ild&highlight=

Will keep you mind
    You're hired ! Badass table done the right way !

Post Thanks / Like

Snagged a welding table today on craigslist. 4'x8', 1/2" thick top, 4"x4" square tubing legs. $325

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
    Snagged a welding table today on craigslist. 4'x8', 1/2" thick top, 4"x4" square tubing legs. $325

Good deal on the table.

Poor job of strapping that table down though.... steel ramps unsecured also.

my $0.02
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    Good deal on the table.

Poor job of strapping that table down though.... steel ramps unsecured also.

my $0.02
    Thanks, I threw the ramps in the back of the truck before I left and I agree on the strapping. I wasn't going far and I stopped to check it before getting on the highway and everything stayed tight all the way home.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tackit View Post
    Nice table, but from here it looks like the tables top is 3/8. I'm just sayin... You have gotten the table at such a good price you could weld 3/8 X 4 X 4" angle iron to the table's legs under the flanges all around the table. If it were a new top I would tap 5/8 holes around the table's top..... making the 5/8 hex bolt holes through the angle iron larger for the tops expansion. Grind or use washers under the head of the bolts of any proud bolts sticking past the top. You will never have to worry about heat warping the tables flanges or pulling off the flanges and clamping will be more solid.
    It's 1/2", I measured with my caliper, thanks for the tips.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist