Thread: Keep Lincold Weld-Pak 100 + Millermatic 211?

Post Thanks / Like

Keep Lincold Weld-Pak 100 + Millermatic 211?

I am a just-retired, half-@ssed backyard handyman. I do like to putter around working on my '88 Jeep Wrangler, and my '67 chopped Harley . I just got a Millermatic 211 because i finally ran a 220v line out to my driveway. I used it this week to put a fabricated rear bumper on my jeep. My other MIG is a Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 (a real one from a welding supply shop, not the home depot HD model) with the gas attachment. (I now grabbed the CO2-Argon bottle for the Miller) I have used this for over 15 years, and i can surely now say, the MM211 is worlds better. Here is my dilemma: Do i sell the Lincoln, (with the gas attachment, for maybe $250) and just keep the MM211, or do I load the Lincoln up with fluxcore wire, and keep it for an easy-to-carry around 110V, somewhat portable machine? The MM211 is a bit heavy to bring around, especially with the bottle. I can just throw the Lincoln in the back seat, and go with it (even though i have never used it away from my house in over 15 years). It is in pristine condition, so it is almost worth keeping it for any unseen uses. Any comments?
    Last edited by yesindeed; 01-23-2010 at 11:10 PM.
    Millermatic 211
    Everlast 200DX
    Thermal Arc 181i
    Klutch ST80i lunchbox stick welder
    Lincoln Weld-Pak 100
    Century Stick welder
    Powermax 30 plasma cutter
    Henrob 2000 torch
    Logan 200 lathe (60 years old)
    Clausing 6339 Lathe (for sale)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Keep Lincold Weld-Pak 100 + Millermatic 211?

Tough call.

I'm not a big fan of FC wire myself. It has it's uses, but I usually have better options. On 110v the 2 machines with FC would probably do almost the same thickness FWIW.

I just picked up a cheap parts machine to fix the POS import I started with. I haven't used it in years and it just sat 1/2 forgotten in the shop attic. When I saw a parts machine cheap on CL I grabbed it. My thought was to load it with .023 wire for those occasional on site repairs for thin things and sheet metal. Adding a few light tie downs on my buddy's ladder rack, fixing holes in the truck floor etc, instead of having to drag out my full sized 220v mig over to his place or arranging to hook up with him at mine. If I had the MM211 I'd use that hands down over my 110v mig, but it is nice not to have to swap rolls of wire anymore or drag out the spool gun to fix small sheet metal jobs. I used it over Christmas to fix a hand rail at my parents where 220v was not an easy option.

In reality though, I doubt I'd really miss the little 110v machine. It's more of a luxury. I've managed to make do without it for years, and if I really had enough work to justify a 110v machine, I'd rather have the MM211 with the little bit more umph on 110v. I could easily see selling it for decent money and using that money for a tool I'd use more.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Heck set it up with all .023 hardware and use it on thin stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

ive had my weld pak 100 for about 15 years to
    and thats what i do keep flux core in it great
    for small jobs when i dont want to use the mm251
    if you dont need the $$ why sell it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Heck set it up with all .023 hardware and use it on thin stuff.
    Would the .035 fluxcore wire work for that? (I happen to have a new roll of that size laying around...)
    Millermatic 211
    Everlast 200DX
    Thermal Arc 181i
    Lincoln Weld-Pak 100
    Century Stick welder
    Henrob 2000 torch

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ed mac View Post
    ive had my weld pak 100 for about 15 years ......
    if you dont need the $$ why sell it
    That has pretty much been my motto. That's why i have about 25 years worth of my toys laying around, just can't bear to part with them. What would an excellent condition Weld-Pak 100 with the gas attachment be worth?
    Millermatic 211
    Everlast 200DX
    Thermal Arc 181i
    Lincoln Weld-Pak 100
    Century Stick welder
    Henrob 2000 torch

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yesindeed View Post
    Would the .035 fluxcore wire work for that? (I happen to have a new roll of that size laying around...)
    Nah. The .023 hardware I was referring to would be the .023 liner, tips and gas for the solid.023. Ideal for thin sheet and tubing and itty bitty jobs. Leave the bigger wire for the 211.

Using that .035 flux core on a very small machine is trying to make a big machine out of a little one. Not much advantage in that. It's easy enough to swap the 211 back and forth from solid to flux core when you want power & penetration.

Post Thanks / Like

i use the 035 thats what it came with new
    and can get the wire at home depot any time
    just bought a 10lb roll was using a lot of 1lb
    rolls and there $10 each the 10lb was $44
    i tryed a HF roll its junk

Post Thanks / Like

FYI- no matter where ya bought the Weldpak-100- it be the same machine
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

Thats what I do . except is with a HD3200 and a 255XT. Once I got the 255 just keep a spool of NR-211MP in the HD3200.
    DaKK

Post Thanks / Like

Just a noob to welding but I have a Weld Pak 100 and I enjoy it. Just went to a 220v Miller TIG and in as much as I would like a 220v MIG, I will keep my Weld Pak 100 for the ease of portability and loaning it out to friends. I think it makes a great thin gauge portable welder but thats just my opinion.

That gas conversion sells for $130.00 on ebay and you could always use it on another 110v welder if someone needed that alone.
    Miller Maxstar 172 TIG (3ph)) converted to Maxstar 152 TIG (1ph), Harris & Victor Oxy/Act, Lincoln WeldPak Pro100, Radioshack 15w Soldering Iron but I want MORE and my wife says