+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: For The Can I TIG With My Welder People.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: For The Can I TIG With My Welder People.

Same thought here. I know that people do code-quality welds every day with nothing more than a stick-welder and a scratch-start rig, and more power to them. I would say, if you are primarily going to be working in a shop, and you have the chance to get HF stat and pedal output control, don't pass it up. If you are in the field or an industrial setting, where you may be 100 feet from your power source, laying on your back, reaching up behind some pipes... that's another story. Maybe not so much the pedal then.
    Everlast PA160-STH
    ... and that's about it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joshuabardwell View Post
    Same thought here. I know that people do code-quality welds every day with nothing more than a stick-welder and a scratch-start rig, and more power to them. I would say, if you are primarily going to be working in a shop, and you have the chance to get HF stat and pedal output control, don't pass it up. If you are in the field or an industrial setting, where you may be 100 feet from your power source, laying on your back, reaching up behind some pipes... that's another story. Maybe not so much the pedal then.
    After looking at the price of finger controllers i will make my own when i need one

the price of a freq box even used is pure Bull so that too will have to wait
    Backed my CATMA over your CARMA oops clusmy me

What would SATAN do ??

Miller Trailblazer 302 AirPak
    Miller Digital Elite
    Optrel Welding Hat
    Arcair K4000
    Suitcase 12RC / 12 VS
    Hypertherm PM-45
    Rage 3 saw
    Rusty old Truck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killdozerd11 View Post
    After looking at the price of finger controllers i will make my own when i need one

the price of a freq box even used is pure Bull so that too will have to wait
    I got my HF251D-1 for $375 and it included a WP17-V torch, ground lead and all connection leads.

HF units can be found cheap if you can hold out and keep looking.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TozziWelding View Post
    For The Can I TIG With My Welder People.
    ? I can tig with my welder.... cuz it's a tig welder.
    Welding/Fab Pics: www.UtahWeld.com

Post Thanks / Like

In one of Jody's videos, he uses a knife switch to break the arc, letting you still have gas flow.

Good idea or waste of time?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hazmat5760 View Post
    In one of Jody's videos, he uses a knife switch to break the arc, letting you still have gas flow.
    That depends on how you feel about oxidation.
    Everlast PA160-STH
    ... and that's about it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hazmat5760 View Post

If I had it to do all over again I would prefer to have that simple foot switch than to have high frequency arc start.

Post Thanks / Like

That's awesome They didn't teach me that in school

Post Thanks / Like

In action off the SA-250

]Not bad for dirty pie and rusty filler.....LOL
    Last edited by TozziWelding; 09-29-2013 at 04:38 PM.
    Disclaimer; "I am just an a$$hole welder, don't take it personally ."

Post Thanks / Like

Nice cup walk Tozzi
    Backed my CATMA over your CARMA oops clusmy me

What would SATAN do ??

Miller Trailblazer 302 AirPak
    Miller Digital Elite
    Optrel Welding Hat
    Arcair K4000
    Suitcase 12RC / 12 VS
    Hypertherm PM-45
    Rage 3 saw
    Rusty old Truck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killdozerd11 View Post
    Nice cup walk Tozzi
    It is just one of many services I offer

Post Thanks / Like

So, if I connect my Miller hf-250d-1 to my Thunderbolt 225 XL AC/DC I can still use a foot pedal even though I can't use it to change the output of the power source? The hf-250d-1 has a 'power source receptacle' (that I can't connect to the thunderbolt) and an 'operator control receptacle' (which is 5-pin).
    Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Tozzi,

How do you do that without gloves man!? That makes my hands sweat just watching you in the video...
    Benson's Mobile Welding - Dayton, OH metro area - AWS Certified Welding Inspector

Post Thanks / Like

I have asbestos hands, years of working in the kitchen and welding......

Post Thanks / Like

I am curious, is there any benefit to walking the cup? I always saw it as a crutch to keep an arc gap for people that don't have steady hands. I have never ever not even once walked the cup in 20+ years. But I am open minded and willing to try it out and learn the technique if it has a benefit over freehand.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joshuabardwell View Post
    It's this very topic that brought me to this forum just a few weeks ago. I'd made many (dare I say miles of?) 4130 and mild steel welds with my trusty old 250AC/DC-HF from 1974, by scratch starting and snapping to end. I'd built so much muscle memory, that I still sometimes accidentally snap and return the cup to the weld pool, hopeful to shield just a little bit more, only to have the HF on my new machine restart the arc. That was, until some 1/4" 6061, an exceeded duty cycle and an internal short, then a fire put me in the market for a 200DX. The decision had been put off for way too long.

I had a lot of misunderstandings about the hardware of the finger control package that I'd picked with the Dynasty, but some help from forum members here and on "the other site", solved that problem. I won't go back to the dark ages any time soon. I may buy a foot pedal some time down the road, especially if I find myself fabbing aluminum repetitively at the weld table, but for now I am learning to access the best features of totally programable process with the "RMT 2 HOLD" side of the machine, all at the tip of the finger.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NoShopSkills View Post
    I may buy a foot pedal some time down the road, especially if I find myself fabbing aluminum repetitively at the weld table, but for now I am learning to access the best features of totally programable process with the "RMT 2 HOLD" side of the machine, all at the tip of the finger.
    A person who does aluminum TIG fabrication for a living told me that a foot pedal was basically mandatory for aluminum. I don't know much about welding aluminum, but having seen his work, I'd believe him.
    Everlast PA160-STH
    ... and that's about it!

Post Thanks / Like

I just thought I would at to this thread by posting some of Jody's scratch-start tig video links.
    Here you go.

stainless tubing. http://welding-tv.com/2013/05/16/tig...inless-tubing/

set-up. http://welding-tv.com/2013/04/18/old...-with-a-twist/

hope this helps clear up some confusion.

~John

Post Thanks / Like

This is how I learned to tig weld. No pedal and using your filler wire to strike against the tungsten to fire up. I've been doing this for about ten years now and never use a pedal on steel or aluminum. If your puddle is getting too big start moving faster. If it's too small go a little slower. With practice you'll get a feel on where to set the machine and you can put more or less heat in just by your travel speed. Walking the cup is handy for this because you can just work the cup faster or slower and still keep the same bead appearance.
    Lincoln Ranger 300 DLX
    Roundtop Lincoln Idealarc 250
    Miller 110

Post Thanks / Like

[/QUOTE]

Sweet table!!, wouldn't have thought of that. These things are laying all over my neighborhood

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KennethD View Post

Sweet table!!, wouldn't have thought of that. These things are laying all over my neighborhood [/QUOTE]

Yeah, that is the last thing we need . lost all the bronze sewer caps 5 years ago. Don't know if anyone else got it ,yet ?

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a cool video Jody did about how to TIG weld without leaving a crater. He's using a Miller Thunderbolt with no foot pedal. This helped me a lot.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

Jody makes some great videos. Phrase of the day: pull out!
    Gravel

The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pennswoodsed View Post
    Sweet table!!, wouldn't have thought of that. These things are laying all over my neighborhood
    Yeah, that is the last thing we need . lost all the bronze sewer caps 5 years ago. Don't know if anyone else got it ,yet ?[/QUOTE]

Yeah on the bronze , like a plague . mine are now 20 ga ,washing machine white , because it was handy ,free and not valuable enough to steal again.
    Looking for the little Lincoln 225 to try tig in this century .

Post Thanks / Like

So in other words I could use a Lincoln sa200 diesel welder and hook up the gas, tig rig and switch polarity and have the connections visualized in the beginning of the thread? is that considered a scratch start set up? or is there a frequency add on you put on the machine to be able to TIG in the field like this. I am looking to purchase a Lincoln sa200,300, or Lincoln vantage or commander 500 to put in my duramax. But I would also like my machine to be able to hook into a wire feeder(GMAW, FCAW or GTAW). I am a pipe welder by trade. CWI/QC by title now. lol, but I am looking to possibly get out on a pipeline again when I get my own rig built. I want it a versatile as I can get it though. So the proper machine is needed to do whatever process is desired whether im at the house building yard art or on the pipeline welding or tearing down a truck and doing restoration work on a frame. I need a reliable machine that's not 15k.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist