+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: For The Can I TIG With My Welder People.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: For The Can I TIG With My Welder People.

So in other words I could use a Lincoln sa200 diesel welder and hook up the gas, tig rig and switch polarity and have the connections visualized in the beginning of the thread? is that considered a scratch start set up? or is there a frequency add on you put on the machine to be able to TIG in the field like this.
    You only need to add an HF box if you want to weld aluminum. Otherwise, yes, reverse polarity, hoop up a torch and gas and you are off to the races. Good for steel alloys only though
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

ok nice. High frequency box is needed for aluminum. that would be needed for me to build a toolbox or some type of aluminum project I might have. Now there are attachments im sure I could buy to also hook up to the welder to make the GTAW easier. or better quality like a foot pedal and such. Or if your welding tig this way you just have to work with what your using(no attachments) How about those Lincoln vantage 500's or the Lincoln commanders. they look like bada$$ machines. Or should I just try to stick with a Lincoln sa200-300 or a miller big blue 400d type machine?

Post Thanks / Like

I heard that this is not " healthy" to do say to a miller thunderbolt ACDC machine. Can the rectifier handle it??
    HH 190
    Uniweld Torches
    Lincoln 225 ac-s
    Marquette Starjet torches gauges

Post Thanks / Like

how would it hurt your welder, its just a transformer producing high current just likes its doing when stick welding

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rambin View Post
    how would it hurt your welder, its just a transformer producing high current just likes its doing when stick welding
    I used an equivalent buzzbox and completely ignored the duty cycle on max DC. Popped a diode, my fault and was easily fixed.

Bought an actual tig soon after - then the tig fever took hold and I've never looked back

So I agree with you, won't hurt it - unless duty cycle is not paid attention to.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys.
    HH 190
    Uniweld Torches
    Lincoln 225 ac-s
    Marquette Starjet torches gauges

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    You only need to add an HF box if you want to weld aluminum. Otherwise, yes, reverse polarity, hoop up a torch and gas and you are off to the races. Good for steel alloys only though
    ok ,top of the hour and I'm confused again aluminum with dc/hf ? electrode neg ? enough cleaning with hf ?
    thanks,Ed

Post Thanks / Like

You need HF if doing AC tig on alum. HF keeps the arc going when the arc changes from DC+ to DC- and back. HF has nothing to do with cleaning action. That's DC+. Doing alum with DC is completely different. For that you need lab grade Helium.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

ok ,top of the hour and I'm confused again aluminum with dc/hf ? electrode neg ? enough cleaning with hf ?
    thanks,Ed
    I failed to recognize/consider that an SA 200 only produces DC...you will need AC and HF
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

I heard that this is not " healthy" to do say to a miller thunderbolt ACDC machine. Can the rectifier handle it??
    I did it on my Hobart Stickmate AC/DC machine without an issue. One think about scratch start TIG...most of the time you will be at around 125 amps or less.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

Could this power supply be adapted to tig aluminum?

http://www.harborfreight.com/225-amp...der-69029.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Walters View Post
    Could this power supply be adapted to tig aluminum?

http://www.harborfreight.com/225-amp...der-69029.html
    In technical theory, yes.

In practical working terms, forget it. Using high frequency boxes on stick welders works, but for any AC application, doing it without the benefit of a remote or contactor makes the learning curve super steep. Best off saving for something with dedicated AC output and TIG features

IMHO of course

Post Thanks / Like

What's the price to make something like this?

Post Thanks / Like

I used to do this years ago and it worked great. Somehow I "lost" my TIG torch and am now getting another one so I can do it again. I can hardly wait, this thread brings back memories.
    Lincoln Idealarc AC/DC 250 "doghouse"
    Hobart Handler 187 MIG

Post Thanks / Like

I had a Dialarc 250 HF. As old school technology goes, it was a great welder. It gave 310 amps on AC! If there was a limit to duty cycle, I don't know where it is. As I see it, the biggest factor in aluminum welding is amperage. I had a Diversion 180. Duty cycle was an embarrassment! It was very frustrating. Mine didn't ever shut off, it tapered back on amperage. I'd be pushing the pedal to the floor, getting less heat.

Having used a state of the art TIG welder, I'd miss the features now. Still, you could weld aluminum with a component rig.

Willie
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

The other end of the spectrum - I have a new 4 years old now Syncrowave 200 and I still can't get the hang of TIG. I can gas and MIG with no problems, have even done a small amount of stick, TIG is a BITCH!
    Retired - "Her job is to Bitch - mine is to give her a reason"

Miller Syncro 200
    Miller 211 AutoSet
    Miller 375 Extreme
    An old Ox/Acc

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist