+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: For The Can I TIG With My Welder People.

Post Thanks / Like

For The Can I TIG With My Welder People.

This is how we do it out in the field away from all the modern conveniences.
    You can hook up to any constant current power source and TIG away on DC all day long. No remote, no foot pedal, no nonsense.
    TIG rig, air cooled, with a gas valve.

Remember to turn gas on before you start your arc

Hooked up to any stick welder, rember to switch your leads to DCEN

The full rig again
    Disclaimer; "I am just an a$$hole welder, don't take it personally ."

Post Thanks / Like

Re: For The Can I TIG With My Welder People.

we used to do that in the shop sometimes, just so that we wouldn't have to switch out leads and grounds and all that, just attach the stinger to the torch. It works well enough especially if your power source has HF start, a lot of the work I did wouldn't allow scratch starting so that eliminated most stick power supplies right there.

Then again we didn't do field work either.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice.

Post Thanks / Like

Tozzi, I have a Miller Shopmaster and I just found this out a month ago while talking to Miller. He said the same thing you are. Just get a torch with a gas valve and do scratch start. I have very minimal expierence with tig. I ran some beads on flat alum in college a long time ago. I was thinking of buying a torch but decided to wait until I get a HF unit. Now seeing this post makes me think about it again. I know you can't do alum without HF. How is using scratch start? Can you use it on stainless? Is it worth getting or wait until I get a HF? I basically would use it just to start learning tig. Also I thought I would need a pedal. Is it difficult to use without one?
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

Post Thanks / Like

For a lot of years that is all I had. Then I got a hi freq box so I could weld aluminum. Then I got the TA-185.

If you can weld with that stuff, a foot pedal, HF start, adjustable wave, gas solenoid on a timer and water cooled torch are all luxuries.

David

Hi Toz

Stick-man, Just do it! Screw the hi freq for now. Once you do some tig, you will buy more stuff.
    Last edited by David R; 02-02-2010 at 07:08 PM.
    Real world weldin.

When I grow up I want to be a tig weldor.

Post Thanks / Like

I can pass X-ray on SS and carbon pipe with that rig scratch starting. That old torch has made me some $$$ Hows things Dave
    Disclaimer; "I am just an a$$hole welder, don't take it personally ."

Post Thanks / Like

I happened to go for a late night cup of cofee yesterday. A friend of a friend, a weldor, was there. He happens to mainly do tig on restaurant equipment, using scratch start. So I was talking his ear off till about 1:30a this morning and he agreed to help get me started. He has only been a weldor for 30 years, so I hope he knows what he is doing
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TozziWelding View Post
    I can pass X-ray on SS and carbon pipe with that rig scratch starting. That old torch has made me some $$$ Hows things Dave
    true that, but there's a big difference between passing xrays and being code compliant. I'm not a big fan of scratch starting, but it works well enough.

Post Thanks / Like

I paid my dues, Now every machine I have has touch start tig with a plug for the remote Except the V155-S has no remote capabilities.

David
    Real world weldin.

When I grow up I want to be a tig weldor.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats all i use with my little 80amp stick inverter. Im so use to scratch start it feels weired using the foot pedal. Im so used to pulling away to break the arc.
    Ya gotta spend money to make money!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stick-man View Post
    Tozzi, I have a Miller Shopmaster and I just found this out a month ago while talking to Miller. He said the same thing you are. Just get a torch with a gas valve and do scratch start. I have very minimal expierence with tig. I ran some beads on flat alum in college a long time ago. I was thinking of buying a torch but decided to wait until I get a HF unit. Now seeing this post makes me think about it again. I know you can't do alum without HF. How is using scratch start? Can you use it on stainless? Is it worth getting or wait until I get a HF? I basically would use it just to start learning tig. Also I thought I would need a pedal. Is it difficult to use without one?
    For times when you cant touch your work and scared of getting tung inclusion with this same setup you can use the edge of your filler rod and literally strike it from your work piece across your tungsten quickly and it will also start the arc.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the thread on this. i just recieved a trailblazer 301g from an old friend/boss.
    i have'nt used gas power welders much. did you braze a piece of brass on that coupler, or is it a special. i really can't tell by the picture. thanks again, wally

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SR20steve View Post
    For times when you cant touch your work and scared of getting tung inclusion with this same setup you can use the edge of your filler rod and literally strike it from your work piece across your tungsten quickly and it will also start the arc.
    Steve,

I don't quite follow . . . would you explain your technique more fully? My mental picture is still a little fuzzy.

TIA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pumahvac View Post
    did you braze a piece of brass on that coupler, or is it a special. i really can't tell by the picture. thanks again, wally
    That Brass adapter in Tozzi's rig is a standard production piece that is common when using a "One Piece" Air cooled Tig Torch. Shielding gas passes through the adapter while current is introduced to the Torch - Much the same as at the bottom end of an Air Arc set-up. Wherever you pick up the One Piece Torch should also have the adaptors in stock.

On my shop machine, the hole in the adapter lug is attached to an output stud, but Tozzi's way will work just fine as well.

The Tig Torch shown looks identical to the Weld Craft one I use - Flex Head, and Gas Valve on handle.

Have a Good Day.
    Last edited by Black Wolf; 02-08-2010 at 07:06 AM.
    Later,
    Jason

Post Thanks / Like

thanks black wolf. i'll look into it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 4sfed View Post
    Steve,

I don't quite follow . . . would you explain your technique more fully? My mental picture is still a little fuzzy.

TIA
    Touch filler rod to work piece, strike filler rod against tungsten. Arc gets struck off the side of the tungsten on the filler rod, rather than the tip against the base metal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Supe View Post
    Touch filler rod to work piece, strike filler rod against tungsten. Arc gets struck off the side of the tungsten on the filler rod, rather than the tip against the base metal.
    That'll take some practice . . . thanks for the response.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 4sfed View Post
    That'll take some practice . . . thanks for the response.

Jim
    you better have gloves on!!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice, Thanks Tozzi, I'll be rigging up my bobcat this week the same way. Thanks for posting.

Post Thanks / Like

I build and maintain heaps of these.

Some Airgas part numbers:

Power block - RAD64005406
    Rooster Tail style TIG cap - RAD64005643
    Button cap- RAD64005646
    Argon hose fittings - RAD64003964 (reusable hose clamps, I like these)
    TIG torch body - 17FV RAD64005474
    TIG torch assy - (body above WITH cable) - (RAD64005478

Buy argon hose by the foot and use fittings. If you damage a premade hose, you can't fix it in the field.

If you damage the TIG power cable, they make NICE lightweight conventional stinger cables.

Post Thanks / Like

I learned on a TIG rig just like that accept we had the top of a mountain dew bottle covering the stinger and power cord connector lol no bs worked great. If you learn on this and then move to HF, Crater Time, Pre and Post and ofcourse Pulse ...Wow what luxuries but i still love breaking out the old TIG rig and running with it sometimes...Good post my friend...

Post Thanks / Like

We use Dew and other soda bottles at the school where I work, but the plastic lube jugs as shown have better stinger clearance.

Post Thanks / Like

I run the same setup w/ 50ft cables and a simple purge line with my Dynasty.

Going from a Synchro 250 w/ EVERY bell and whistle, this taught me how to REALLY weld.

Post Thanks / Like

I think everyone learning to tig weld should start out this way. I still use this set up at home in my shop. I love the simplicity. No fancy high frequency or foot pedles here. I have tweco connecters on my stick whip and on the tig torch and simply swap back and forth to go from stick to DC tig. I use a CK roto head tig torch with twist gas valve.
    Last edited by snoeproe; 12-19-2010 at 08:25 PM.
    Jason
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Torchmate CNC table
    Thermal Arc Hefty 2
    Ironworkers Local 720

Post Thanks / Like

Don't hate me cause I have a foot pedal and a heated shop to work in.
    Syncrowave 350
    Coolmate 3

Millermatic 251
    Spoolmatic 30A

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist