+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Learning the trade

Post Thanks / Like

Learning the trade

Hey folks, new to the forum. Have a few questions. I am actually looking at making welding a career by using my Army GI bill to learn the trade. I am wondering if anyone has any advice on doing this. I am interested in welding and fabrication as a career. Anyone with ANY advice in these fields would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Learning the trade

Hi Ya combover0808 and Welcome to the Welding Web Family. As a veteran myself I can tell you the GI bill is an excellent tool to use . But don't just jump into the first program you happen to come upon. Do some research first into what type of welding and fabrication you like the best ! Remember its a career. Since you'll be getting Uncle Sam to foot the bill select the best welding school you can get into. Talk to your military transitions career advisor for some help and aid in completing the necessary paperwork. The best schools will not be in your local area so be sure you can relocate to the school while attending. Also check with both the school and yoour advisor to see what your out of pocket costs will be for school materials, lodging, food, and of course any items you might have to provide in the way of protective gear.
    Co-Own CNC shop:Miller :1251 plasma cutter, MaxStar 700 TIG/Stick, & XMT 456 Multiprocess Welder.& 2 Hypertherm HPR260's Plasma Cutter

Sorry I had a bad stroke but now I am back.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist