+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Just started welding!

Post Thanks / Like

Just started welding!

Hi - I'm an older guy (63) who has been welding about 3 years. Now, it is getting serious, and I would like to do it right.

Don't know why it took me this long, because welding is fun! OK, about 35 years ago, a friend of mine showed me how 'stick stuff together' with a gas rig, but I very rarely used it and don't believe that counts. Today, I currently have a little flux cored welder which I am using on my cars and bikes. Wow, it works, saves me a ton of money, and IT'S FUN!

I live in a little town (about 10,000) people in TN up near the KY border, and am:
    married with 2 grown boys
    retired from the computer field
    avid motorcyclist (currently have a 1998 Kawasaki Concours and a 1984 BMW R100
    drive a pickup (F150) and a Miata (1997)
    play the guitar

I have now gotten to the point where I have real questions so I've joined this site. Thank you so much for being out there! And, who knows, maybe I can return the favor somehow.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Just started welding!

Hey doitright.

Similar story - be 62 later this year. Been welding for about 8 years. It is habit forming!

Built a nice shop and collected some good tools so when I retire in a few years I'll have plenty to do.

I'm below Chattanooga, TN on I-75. Post your location in your profile. I know a few members from Tennesse, might be able to give you some tips and direction on good suppliers, etc.

Welcome to the forum.
    Last edited by wb4rt; 05-08-2014 at 03:38 PM.
    Burt
    Hobart Handler 140

www.10FtDrillBit.com
    www.MyWelds.com - pictures of my work

Post Thanks / Like

I'm thinking of taking welding foundation training and I thought I was too old at 45.
    I'm glad you are having fun at 63!

Post Thanks / Like

Careful, it's addictive, could cost a lot of money. If that's a concern stay away from tig.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, welcome ! let us know when you want to spend some money. We can spend all you got ! You may want to provide a budget .

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, what BD1 said. I think of my knowing what I know now wish list. Doing it over, I'd pass over about 12 welders. There are a couple of those I'm using now I would skip over too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by doitright View Post
    Hi - I'm an older guy (63) who has been welding about 3 years.

I live in a little town (about 10,000) people in TN up near the KY border, and am:
    married with 2 grown boys
    retired from the computer field
    avid motorcyclist (currently have a 1998 Kawasaki Concours and a 1984 BMW R100
    drive a pickup (F150) and a Miata (1997)
    play the guitar
    Well lets see...
    Just a paltry 60 since March, but retired...from the railroad (thankfully they had the age 60 and 30+ years of service retirement plan...I had in almost 36). Another matter to be thankful for is that I needn't worry about collecting Soc. Sec. as RR Retirement is so much better...ought to be, we paid through the teeth for it each and every paycheck!

Married, but no kids...Killer and I can often be found on the floor kissing the firmament and giving wholehearted thanks on the "no kids" aspect.

Used to be an avid motorcyclist before contracting scumbag disease (carpal tunnel syndrome...which I once thought only the laziest, worthless members of society got to dodge actual work and to glom onto an SSI check) Still have my '84 R100RS and the '90 R100GSPD that was the direct cause of the carpal tunnel syndrome...never ever drive all the way up to Alaska from Wyoming on a knobby tired endure, even if it is a BMW, with a friend that can't understand for more than a mile and a half without reminding that the bike has a sweet spot where the knobbies don't rattle your cage excessively around 65 mph...which is still faster than the Canadian speed limit. Returned from that trip in a rental van with the R100GSPD in back from Missoula, MT to Sheridan before painfully unloading the bike and doing the under 100 miles home on I-90. Took me 11 months to get the feeling all the way back to the tips of my fingers. Hands will still immediately go numb at the sight of a regular round handled screwdriver or while driving a non-power steering equipped vehicle.

Drive a Dodge 2500 diesel...learned my lesson on Fords... 'nuff said. Killer loves her Jeep Cherokee AWD Limited.

I can still pick up a trombone and do a pathetically passable effort, but why bother.

Now for the meat and potatoes...do give us a shout if/when you decide to upgrade your welder. We just loves being of aid and assistance spending other folks hard earned money!!!!

EDIT: BTW, I spent about a year and a half out in the Harlan, KY area building a dam on the Martin's Fork of the Cumberland River near Smith, KY back in the mid '70s. About as deep into hillbilly country as you can get before you start coming out the other side...dueling banjos region to be sure. Sort of near Knoxville, TN via Cumberland Gap and New Tazewell, Virginia...in Wyoming mileage anyway.
    Last edited by WyoRoy; 05-09-2014 at 12:59 PM.
    Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
    Miller 251
    Miller DialArc 250
    Bridgeport mill
    Hossfeld bender & dies
    Logan shaper
    Jet 14 X 40 lathe
    South Bend 9" 'C'
    Hypertherm 900
    Ellis 3000 band saw
    21"Royersford Excelsior
    Two shops, still too many tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by doitright View Post
    I'm an older guy (63) . . . .
    64 here and about to retire
    Don't know why it took me this long, because welding is fun!
    Yes it is! I used to have a job that was about 40 to 60% welding. I always liked that part the best. That is until a back injury forced me into a different line of work. Now I do a little hobby welding, making doo dads to make my life easier.

I live in a little town (about 10,000) people in TN
    It's all relative. That is a huge city to me.

doitright, keep on welding and having fun!
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Mods, please delet this post, thanks.
    Last edited by Fast Leroy; 05-09-2014 at 01:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WyoRoy View Post
    Used to be an avid motorcyclist before contracting scumbag disease (carpal tunnel syndrome...which I once thought only the laziest, worthless members of society got to dodge actual work and to glom onto an SSI check) Still have my '84 R100RS and the '90 R100GSPD that was the direct cause of the carpal tunnel syndrome...never ever drive all the way up to Alaska from Wyoming on a knobby tired endure, even if it is a BMW, with a friend that can't understand for more than a mile and a half without reminding that the bike has a sweet spot where the knobbies don't rattle your cage excessively around 65 mph...which is still faster than the Canadian speed limit. Returned from that trip in a rental van with the R100GSPD in back from Missoula, MT to Sheridan before painfully unloading the bike and doing the under 100 miles home on I-90. Took me 11 months to get the feeling all the way back to the tips of my fingers. Hands will still immediately go numb at the sight of a regular round handled screwdriver or while driving a non-power steering equipped vehicle.

WyoRoy, go get that carpel tunnel fixed man, simple procedure. I sold my Kawi Nomad and bought a Goldwing for the crusie control for the same reason. Wished I would have gotten it done sooner. My was caused by years of frequent jack hammer usage. All the pain is gone, can play my guitar now for more than a couple minutes. Had it in both wrists, they called me two stroke.

Welcome to the site Doitright!

Post Thanks / Like

What get out of work? I suffered with it quite severe for years. I'd make a motion not expecting a problem, Pow! like 5000 volts going through my hand, then numb and achy for weeks. on a good day it was like my hands fell asleep, numb and tingly. I frequently awoke with my hands aching something awful! I had the first fixed in 1996. Next day I was on a roof helping a friend shingle. In those days I was Superman! I never knew if I overdid it or the doctor damaged the nerves. I lost all feeling in three fingers. I still had use, but no feeling. Visiting the doctor each week, he seemed unconcerned. After five months, in the span of 15 minutes all feeling returned! He said: "Didn't I tell you, nerves don't heal. You have to wait for a new one to grow."
    The second hand 11 years later, different surgeon. I behaved myself, had a quick recovery. God, I wish I'd done it years earlier!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey! thanks for reading my thread. I am in Oneida, TN, which is about a half hour east of I 75 exit 141.

Coronado. CA across the bay from San Diego, CA
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum.
    I offer three choices: Good, Fast, & Cheap. You may pick two.

Hobart AC/DC StikMate LX
    Harbor Freight AD Hood
    Harbor Freight Industrial Chop Saw
    DeVilbis 20 Gallon, 5 HP Compressor

Post Thanks / Like

thanks so much. what kind of welding do you like/do?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist