+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bucket cutting edge

Post Thanks / Like

Bucket cutting edge

I had PMd with Admswelding about replacing the cutting edge on the beat up bucket on my skidsteer, and am posting a couple of pics for him. The original edge was bent up on the sides. My iron worker would bend the same size in mild steel, but no go on the AR. It doesnt bend easily hot either So I just cut the old edge off straight, leaving the turned up portion. Idid my best to straighten the old floor, but it was pretty beat. i have a little bit of unevenness in the floor, but only an 1/8" at the worst. I beveled to floor plate and the sides, as well as the bottom where the wear plates tie in I welded with 3/32 7018. i would have liked a little bigger rod, but that would have meant a trip to town, so 3/32s it was.

I tacked in 4 places int he back and the sides, then I welded the the sides, and a bead next to each tack, top and bottom. It got two passes top and bottom with some extra build up on the inside of the sides to round the corner back out. I also had to build up the front edges of the upturned part, as it was badly worn.

It took about 4 hours start to finish. It was hot, heavy, dirty works, Admswelding and Tozzi, and the like can keep all of it! Grinding the AR is tough as well. Overall it came out decent. I just need to cut the top of the bucket off and weld a new piece on, as well as some decent hooks. Cutting off the old onelong with the piece that had been scabbed on underneath probably gained me a hundred pounds of lift capacity!

Thanks again for the help Admswelding.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 864
Size:  35.2 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 827
Size:  49.1 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bucket cutting edge

Looks like it turned out great!!

3/32 rods take ALL day....

Bummer for you...
    Just a couple welders, big hammers, grinders, and torches.
    Work will free you.
    Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
    Trump/Carson 2016-2024

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a if your worried about the sides you could do a bolt on side cutter Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400705998.007549.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  38.4 KB

Post Thanks / Like

No, i wasnt worried over it, it was just abused and wore out and i was looking for a decent way to fix it. I have a remote cabin spot with a road to repair so I can weld together my cabin. So I bought this skidder cheap because they thought the pumps were going out, and the levers were whacked, flat tires, etc. Then I got a broken auger, which is now repaired. Just need the drills for it now. Once I get my road fixed, building pad changed a bit, and the cabin built I will likely sell this and go back to a tractor with a front loader, as I found these skidsteers arent to my liking. Since I work alone I have to figure out ways to lift things without getting out under the boom while it is up. It is much easier on an FEL.

Post Thanks / Like

I hear ya on the skid steer. I have a John Deere 2305 with FEL, back blower, sander and back blade. Absolutely love it. Only regret is that I didn't go a bit bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    No, i wasnt worried over it, it was just abused and wore out and i was looking for a decent way to fix it. I have a remote cabin spot with a road to repair so I can weld together my cabin. So I bought this skidder cheap because they thought the pumps were going out, and the levers were whacked, flat tires, etc. Then I got a broken auger, which is now repaired. Just need the drills for it now. Once I get my road fixed, building pad changed a bit, and the cabin built I will likely sell this and go back to a tractor with a front loader, as I found these skidsteers arent to my liking. Since I work alone I have to figure out ways to lift things without getting out under the boom while it is up. It is much easier on an FEL.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you did a good job considering what you had to work with, the bucket looks like it was bent up pretty bad. It's good for many more hours of use and it's a lot cheaper than buying a new bucket.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist