Thread: Gas powered Air Compressor

Post Thanks / Like

Gas powered Air Compressor

I have been looking at the 8 gallon gas powered wheelbarrow air compressors. Anyone have any feedback on some of the brands out there?
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gas powered Air Compressor

Emglo use to be the cats meow but don't think they are made or made the same now. I like the Ingersoll Rand with a Honda engine. A Honda engine would be a must have if I were buying one.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the honda engines.

I built one with a briggs 5.5hp engine and it makes plenty of air.
    Next one will use a 6.5hp honda engine and use a bigger compressor.
    old Miller spectrum 625
    Lincoln SP-135 T, CO2+0.025 wire
    Miller model 250 and WP-18V torch
    Craftsman 100amp AC/DC and WP-17V torch
    Century 115-004 HF arc stabilizer
    Home made 4 transformer spot welder
    Home made alternator welder

Post Thanks / Like

One of my dumbest blunders was to lift a Honda equipped power trowel out of my basement. In the process (the story is too long to tell here) I dropped it a few feet. I broke the ear off the casting the carb was bolted to. Repair parts were to cost $800.00. At that price I could buy two Briggs Industrial new motors. If you get a Honda hope you never need parts.

Post Thanks / Like

Ingersoll rand with a Honda. All my trucks have them. My next step down would be a Quincy with a Honda or Kohler. North Star (northern tool brand), makes a decent one with a Honda.

Sent from my iPhone, while hiding from my wife!
    Proverbs 4:23

My company welds.

Post Thanks / Like

Honda engine is a must have. I looked at the Northern Tool ones that they have and I like the CFM that they have. How does the IR compressor do with needle scaler or occasional air-arc use? I would like a bigger tank but due to space concerns, mainly width somewhat height, a wheelbarrow type would fit the best.
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen some IR with Koehler engines with good reviews on northern tool and tractor supply company. Anything wrong with Koehler?
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    Honda engine is a must have. I looked at the Northern Tool ones that they have and I like the CFM that they have. How does the IR compressor do with needle scaler or occasional air-arc use? I would like a bigger tank but due to space concerns, mainly width somewhat height, a wheelbarrow type would fit the best.
    I would only be concerned with the lack of tank on a wheelbarrow compressor. Would you consider a separate reservoir tank?

My company welds.

Post Thanks / Like

Gas powered Air Compressor

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    I've seen some IR with Koehler engines with good reviews on northern tool and tractor supply company. Anything wrong with Koehler?
    Kohler is up there with Honda and Kawasaki, you're not gonna find a compressor with a Kawasaki on it though. Like I said, Honda is #1, but Kohler would be my #2nd. Heck, I've got a zero turn with a 28hp Kohler on it with over 4,000 hours. If you stay on top of maintainance it'll be fine.

My company welds.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzBox View Post
    Kohler is up there with Honda and Kawasaki, you're not gonna find a compressor with a Kawasaki on it though. Like I said, Honda is #1, but Kohler would be my #2nd. Heck, I've got a zero turn with a 28hp Kohler on it with over 4,000 hours. If you stay on top of maintainance it'll be fine.

Thanks, good to know.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Post Thanks / Like

I could fit 1or2 10 gallon semi air tanks in the space I have. That would help with the volume. I also could change the air opening on the air arc since I would be using smaller carbons.

Post Thanks / Like

I might try an eagle compressor next. They make the most air per dollar. Yah, I know, this ones electric, but does that say 19cfm 170psi 3manifold outs
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    thermal arc 252i - millermatic 350P - miller XMT, cp300ts, 30a 22a feeders, buttload of other millers, handfull of lincolns, couple of esabs - Hypertherm 1250 G3

Post Thanks / Like

How much power does that thing draw?
    My 220 machine does around 13cfm at 110psi and hits 15amps at shut off.
    old Miller spectrum 625
    Lincoln SP-135 T, CO2+0.025 wire
    Miller model 250 and WP-18V torch
    Craftsman 100amp AC/DC and WP-17V torch
    Century 115-004 HF arc stabilizer
    Home made 4 transformer spot welder
    Home made alternator welder

Post Thanks / Like

Are the MAXair compressors good compressors? Like mentioned above they get more CFM per horsepower due to the Single stage that is like two stage.
    This is currently on my list for my first compressor for a while now I haven't pull the trigger yet.
    Name:  52902b53-2bd6-454b-b1ad-612e0529619d_400.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  22.1 KB

70CFM @ 100PSI!! Not bad for a 15HP? 43 Runing Amps guess is because is three phase?
    Everlast PowerARC 300

Post Thanks / Like

A 100 CFM compressor at 100 psi is run by a 50 horsepower diesel engine. I can believe a 70 would run off a 15hp electric motor especially considering many electric motors can run at 115-125% of their nameplate rating. But you aren't going to find a single phase 15 horsepower motor.

Anything you can find that has a Quincy compressor will be your best bet. They have the most reliable unloader system and that is the only thing that really goes bad on compressors. I have found the Comp Air Leroy and IR units to be susceptible to corrosion in the unloaders. Quincy isolates theirs with a diaphragm and uses brass parts instead of aluminum.
    Last edited by 76GMC1500; 06-03-2014 at 12:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

This has gone completely off track. I don't need a 50 HP compressor just a wheelbarrow type 5- 9 HP.

Post Thanks / Like

I am looking to make a gas powered compressor but need to find the parts for the idle control and governor for max cut out pressure. thought of using a truck air brake system style compressor powered by a Tecumseh 5 hp motor.
    Lincoln 225 ac (my first machine)
    farmhand 115vac 70amp mig/fc toy
    miller aead 200le (my main machine)

Post Thanks / Like

Gas or electric??

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    This has gone completely off track. I don't need a 50 HP compressor just a wheelbarrow type 5- 9 HP.

My company welds.

Post Thanks / Like

I have an older emglo with 5.5 Honda. runs air hammers, impacts and airarc etc
    R.T. Welding LLC
    On Site Service
    Columbus, NJ

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a Hitachi with a 5.5 horsepower Honda on it. I have had it for a little over 7 years and have little over 200 hours on it and it works great for me. I've used it from everything from air tools to painting trailers to painting cars and die grinders.

Sent from my SCH-I110 using Tapatalk 2
    Vantage 300 kubota ,miller 304 xmt ,lincoln ln 25 pro , ranger 305 G, plenty of other tools of the trade to make the sparks fly.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm tempted to get one and bolt it to the top of my 200 g airtank.. just use the tank as a reservoir of sorts.
    but first I have to build a new trailer to hold the tank..