Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Millermatic 30A Wire Feeder - Ain't No 7A749 Refurb

Post Thanks / Like

Millermatic 30A Wire Feeder - Ain't No 7A749 Refurb

I never know if these threads should go here or in the appropriate manufacturers section but seeing as it's not an operational problem, Welding Projects & Pictures it is 'cause it was yesterday's project and I got pictures.

I picked up a Millermatic 30A wire feeder a couple weeks ago to add to the Airco MIGet unit I have http://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=30514 that's been sitting idle since I checked it out to make sure everything works a-OK. Time for it to earn its keep.

The MM30A just happen to come with (4) three phase, 250amp Airco power supplies (rebadged Miller CP250s), a Chemetron WC-50S wire feeder, Linde MIG 31 wire feeder and (2) Airco AHF-R2 suitcase feeders as well as (2) flow meters/gas hoses, a 300amp Bernard gun, a 400amp ProFax gun and a bunch of work leads/clamps. All working but we'll leave all that for another time.:roleyes:

Anyway, the MM30A has seen its share of action and was covered with years of caked on dirt and grime so it was time for a 'freshing up'.
    Name:  Millermatic 30A 003.jpg
Views: 4308
Size:  97.0 KB

All broken down and ready to get started.
    Name:  Millermatic 30A 005.jpg
Views: 4262
Size:  80.4 KB

The drive head main shaft exhibited an unacceptable amount of slop and although I figured it was a worn bushing, it turned out to be more the fault of the shaft as can be seen here.
    Name:  Millermatic 30A 006.jpg
Views: 4252
Size:  71.2 KB

One end built up using the Sycrowave 180SD and 3/32" ER70S-2 filler, 3/32" red tungsten, #4 cup, argon @ 12cfh, DCEN with amps to max and peddled as required. Looked a couple times and meter read 39 and 52 amps after running a bead.
    Name:  Millermatic 30A 008.jpg
Views: 4259
Size:  99.3 KB

Main shaft following some time in the Enco lathe. Obviously my machining skills aren't any better than my welding and although it ain't pretty, it's back to spec diameter (.625") where it needs to be. If I had the ability to cut keyways I would have opted for a complete new shaft as I have the required material on hand. Although I did not change the bushing, the shaft 'repair' removed over half the slop to where it is now acceptable for me.
    Name:  Millermatic 30A 010.jpg
Views: 4249
Size:  68.6 KB

Stand by for some shots of the reassembly.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Millermatic 30A Wire Feeder - Ain't No 7A749 Refurb

Repaired shaft and driven/drive gears reassembled in drive housing.
    Name:  Millermatic 30A 011.jpg
Views: 4230
Size:  39.2 KB

Drive housing reassembled minus drive rolls. Unit came with a set of .035 and .045 rolls and had been converted to use solid rolls that are the same as the MM200 so they can share as needed.
    Name:  Millermatic 30A 012.jpg
Views: 4229
Size:  81.1 KB

Shot from the back showing the new conductor sheath for the gas valve that replace the brittle and cracked original.
    Name:  Millermatic 30A 018.jpg
Views: 4213
Size:  35.9 KB

Front view showing the faceplate with lettering that wipes right off if you get too carried away attempting to clean. Not sure what I'll do with that yet but I may take it to a local lettering guy as Steve (7A749) has suggested and does.
    Name:  Millermatic 30A 017.jpg
Views: 4209
Size:  29.9 KB

Side view showing the 'after' with out the control cables that will be replaced with longer pieces as I plan on parking the Airco power supply and build a cart for the feeder and gas cylinder. Wrapper still needs new paint and badges but as I said - it ain't no 7A749 refurb.
    Name:  Millermatic 30A 016.jpg
Views: 4219
Size:  96.0 KB

Thanks for looking.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

i have a 30a and its a spool gun

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ed mac View Post
    i have a 30a and its a spool gun
    That'd be a Spoolmatic 30A Ed whereas this is a Millermatic 30A.

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o1039c_mil.pdf
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a 7A749 Refurb, and at first I was thinking "Why are you dissin' my boy?" But then I opened the post and checked out your workhorse...We'll you do have double rolls, so you can put a hundred foot gun on it...
    MILLWRIGHT'S SON
    Miller XMT 304 CC/CV
    Miller S52 Stainless Steel Feeder
    Miller Process Selector Control
    Bernard Q-Gun
    Bernard Short Stub
    Trade: Furniture Maker, so I'm a fabricating fool.

Post Thanks / Like

Well now that you mention it I can see where the title can be misleading and thanks for checking out the thread before dropping the hammer on me.

I have the utmost respect for Steve and as you can attest is second to none with the quality of work he does.

MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

That double-double drive system should be able to push a snake down a sewer pipe!

Is it pretty tight tolerances to prevent birds nesting?
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Post Thanks / Like

I can tell you for certain it has some pullin' power. I've only run a small sample piece (3-4') of wire thru it when checking it out and it doesn't take much tension on both drives to turn it into a stump puller.

As for bird nesting, I would imagine it runs the same chance as a single drive roll system that's adjusted too tight. The intermediate wire guide runs about as tight to the first rolls as the gun adapter does to the second ones so it should just be a matter of proper adjustment to prevent any bird nesting. The manual doesn't elaborate but my guess is the tension adjustment on the first set would be slightly less than that of the second if anything but I wouldn't think equal tension should cause any problems either. Don't know - never used a dual drive before.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

Duane,

If you have the exact specs for the keyways in the shaft, I'd be happy to take some .625 precision drill rod and make a brand new shaft for you. I'd have no problem machining those, and I'd be happy to do it for just the cost of materials and shipping.

--Wintermute
    "No man's knowledge here can go beyond his experience." - John Locke
    www.improvised-engineering.com
    Manufacturer Agnostic:
    Blood----------Sweat---------Tears
    ----|------------------|----------------|----
    Lincoln Red, Miller Blue, Esab Yellow

Post Thanks / Like

I certainly appreciate the offer wintermute but even though it's uglier than sin, it's back to .625" where it rides on both ends of the 2" long bushing taking out most of the play. A new bushing would take care of the rest but it's working smoothly so I'll run with it for now. It'll probably still outlast me.

Thanks again for the generous offer.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

As always Duane, first class job. What you gonna use he for?
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    Millermatic 251 Syncrowave 300 30A spoolgun
    Lincoln MP210
    Hypertherm 45
    (2) LN 25
    (2) Lincoln Weldanpower 225 CV
    (4) SA200 1 short hood SA250 SAM 400

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kolot View Post
    As always Duane, first class job. What you gonna use he for?
    Thanks kolot. Could have done more and would have if selling it but it's going to mate up with the Airco MIGet I have http://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=30514.

Quote Originally Posted by 7A749 View Post
    It turned out quite good Duane. You did more than most would do by far. I wish I had a bushing for you, but like we discussed, you can prolly order or turn one easily enough.
    Thanks Steve. Almost caught it big time from one of your many satisfied customers - Millwright's Son - over the thread title. Fortunately he read it before unloading on me.

Do you have the correct plugs on it for the Airco? I got tons of twistlock plugs. The Westinghouse I put one of these on had different recepts on the machine, but I changed them out.
    Got plenty. All the feeders came set up to plug into the Aircos except the Linde that is missing the 115v 3-prong but I'll take one from the Airco suitcase units for that as I won't be using them in their current form.

The one below I did for a guy here locally. It was a swap job so I didn't go crazy on it. The center tab broke when I was taking the drives apart so I had to weld it back up & remachine it. Turned out good for a quickie job. You can see the original style drive rolls on it. Just don't ever want to have to replace the main center drive gear. Hard to find & expensive.
    Show off!! I could have painted the motor and gear guard and . . .

I feared one of the tensioner pin bosses would break off when I was driving the pins out/in in the process of cleaning it up but I guess I did OK supporting them and they made it thru without incident.

I was looking at those gears and main drive gear numbers looked aweful familiar. Not Martin Gear numbers but I think they may be from that other outfit (name escapes me at the moment). I'm going to dig into as the plastic gear that drives the roll gears has seen its better days and could stand replacing. The whole assembly does turn about twice as easy as it did now that it has been cleaned and lubed so that should help for now.

Oh, if I junk that parts feeder, I'll give you the face off it. It's not too bad. Not too sure what I'll do with it yet. The board is desirable in it, maybe I can find it a home. Throw some simple green on it with a mild brush. Take it off for best results. Hit it with some clear coat & touch it up with a magic marker where you can. See that thread on saving face I did awhile back.
    I can't even wipe this faceplate down or the lettering comes right off. Had to leave it as is and may take it off to let a local lettering guy have a look at it. Talked to him awhile back on doing an overlay for the Arico if/when I get around to freshening it up. Same thing, painted on letters just wipe off.

Yeah, the MM30A board is the exact same unit as in the MM200 so it has more than one application.

I have some decals for the wrapper too. Matter of fact, I'll be getting some more made this week. When you get around to painting it, let me know.
    How about shooting me a PM with prices on a couple and a couple more like those for the Roughneck which are the same as the MM200 for when I repaint that. Might as well include what you want for that parts feeder too with shipping to 77632 for me to consider.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

Looks nicer now with the base cleaned and painted.

A little welding to rebuild the shaft, so it counts as a welding project too.

And I'm kind of surprised those old Dymo labels are still on there! They always seemed to peel or fall off, as the adhesive seemed 'iffy' to me. Either that or it stuck on forever!

But that sad blue paint makes it all look not as good as it could. I'd say for a quick-spiff to just remove the Dymo labels, mask the Miller emblems, and clean and paint the blue. Done. Replace Miller labels if you want later.

All in all, nice project (as usual).
    The best laid schemes ... Gang oft agley ...

Post Thanks / Like

If you run across a matching drive gear, let me know what you find.
    Have you tried SDP-SI for the drive gear? It looks pretty standard from what I can see in the picture.

--Wintermute
    "No man's knowledge here can go beyond his experience." - John Locke
    www.improvised-engineering.com
    Manufacturer Agnostic:
    Blood----------Sweat---------Tears
    ----|------------------|----------------|----
    Lincoln Red, Miller Blue, Esab Yellow

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duaneb55 View Post
    I was looking at those gears and main drive gear numbers looked aweful familiar. Not Martin Gear numbers but I think they may be from that other outfit (name escapes me at the moment).
    Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Have you tried SDP-SI for the drive gear? It looks pretty standard from what I can see in the picture.

--Wintermute
    BOSTON GEAR! I almost had it right. Martin or Boston Gear has just about anything you need. Still have to check it out.

Thanks for the kind words MoonRise.
    Last edited by duaneb55; 04-19-2010 at 11:00 PM.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

hello im troy i just picked up a millermatic 30a wire feeder i have some questions for you

Post Thanks / Like

im new to site so if u got time private message me please thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Let me no what u think thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Let me no what i think please thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job there Duane. I some how missed this the 1st time around.

I'll need to remember this thread since I have 2 of those feeders that I trash picked a few years ago still sitting in the garage as an "around to" project. Since I don't yet have a separate CV power source, they have been way down the list. Hopefully between the two I'll have most of what I need to get at least one running eventually.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Troy,

That lead coming from the gun adapter goes to the (+) output of the welding power source. Often there's a short lead that goes to the power stud (red arrows) and then the power supply lead connects to the stud. Either way works. Obviously the gun end inserts at the yellow arrow and this type adapter is typically for Tweco style guns.
    Name:  DSC00019.jpg
Views: 2915
Size:  132.2 KB

The 3-prong plug you're looking for is a NEMA L7-15 and you can get one here http://www.stayonline.com/detail.aspx?id=6804 if you can't find one locally.

The 2-prong plug for welding power source contactor control output is a NEMA L2-20P and you can get one here http://www.stayonline.com/detail.aspx?id=4758 if you can find one locally as well.

As for your AC225 working as a power source, that would be no as MIG is a DC process and the MM30A requires a CV (Constant Voltage) power source whereas your AC225 is a CC (Constant Current) machine used for stick and TIG processes.
    Last edited by duaneb55; 11-05-2012 at 08:39 AM.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for jumping in Steve. I meant to suggest Tony check with you on plugs and other such stuff but got in a hurry.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

Holy wire feeders Batman!!!
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey thanks Duane i found the 3 prong locking plug at the specialty electric store and i got it for under 10 bucks so ya now im ready to plug her in probley this weekend or maybe tmrw. So the 3 prong locking plug i can just plug it to your regular 110 wall outlet?

Post Thanks / Like

So any DC power source will work to run my MM 30a wire feeder... Whats a welder i can use to run my 30a wire feeder.

Will this welder run my 30A wire feeder??? Cuz i can pick this welder up for 150 buck its an old thunderbolt.