Thread: Injector cutting torch

Post Thanks / Like

Injector cutting torch

Hi
    I have been thinking about purchasing a oxy/propane cutting torch. And was wondering about an injector type torch> I have read that they cut much faster than a standard balanced pressure type. Can someone who is familiar with them give me the rundown on them. I noticed there are not many companies making them anymore.Only brands Ive seen out there are harris and esab.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Injector cutting torch

If you know how to set the equal pressure torch, the injector is not any faster. Have used and sold both Harris and Oxweld( Linde-Esab ). JG
    SMAW,GMAW,FCAW,GTAW,SAW,PAC/PAW/OFC
    and Shielding Gases. There all here.

:

Post Thanks / Like

As said before I also have not had experience with an injector style cutting any faster than a balanced pressure type. For welding they can have advantages though, lessened with modern good regulators.

Post Thanks / Like

The responses lead me to another question.
    What then are the advantages of an injector type cutting torch? The manufacturers claim they are faster and more economical (fuel wise). And these torches are being used and recommended as the best choice for alternate fuels. There must be some real advantage to them somewhere. If not, then why are they still being produced?

Post Thanks / Like

For thick plate burning, burning with multiple torches, flame heating and hardening with multiple nozzles.

The only people I know that regularly use single injector torches are scrap yards, railroad scrappers and forge die shops.

Maybe weldgalt can give an idea of when the economy of propane injector torches start to make sense.

Matt