Thread: Short-term, high-paid travel gig leads?

Post Thanks / Like

Short-term, high-paid travel gig leads?

I am entering a two-year welding certification program this fall. I am hoping to gather resources, links, info, recommendations, etc. on how I can make that cert turn into money when I graduate, whether I need additional certifications, and if so, how to get them.

Some details:

I will have plenty of on-the-job experience by the time I graduate since I already work in a fabrication shop where I do everything but welding: grinding, blacksmithing, patinas, etc. I will start welding on the job as soon as I am able, with or without certification, so I will leave the program with a resume that includes job experience.

I am a small-framed woman who will never be able to lift as much as some brawny dudes can. My hand-eye coordination is excellent, though, and I have very steady hands.

I have a family and do not want to leave them for more than a month or two at a time, and it would be great to be able to get back to visit them on weekends when I am out at job sites. I may only want to do those gigs once or twice a year, too.

I live in Western North Carolina.

Any advice or even links to relevant threads would be very much appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Short-term, high-paid travel gig leads?

lot of views and no response. Ill give it a shot, most high paying jobs do not happen overnight. They usually require to be an expert in your field. For welding being able to weld exotic metals or be a contract Certified welding Inspector,

My back ground, I was a Chemical plant operator. During plant turn-a-rounds contractors would come over and weld exotic metals on furnaces and boilers. They were there for the shortest amount of time working 7-12s till they finished.

There are careers like Chemical plant operator, instrument tech, analyzer tech and plant maintenance tech (boiler maker, rotating equipment) which pay well, but its rotating shift work.

If you do not live close to a manufacturing, refinery,chemical plant complex then these jobs are hard to come by without travel and usually no going home on weekends.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm...my cousin does these gigs that last a month or two at a time out at job sites/big builds. He gets to go home pretty frequently. I hardly ever see him, but I'll be asking him whenever I can what exactly he does with all that and maybe update later. =)

Post Thanks / Like

start with industrial projects report

http://industrialprojectsreport.com/

It's been a while since I used it. But you used to be able to buy a single issue. The report lists all the major MRO shutdowns and new construction projects; who's hiring, and what skilled trades they're looking for.

I found a single issue was a good resource when I didn't know where to jump for my next job. If you're moving around a lot, then a subscription might be worthwhile.

The hot sheet

http://industrialprojectsreport.com/site/projects.aspx

will give you a sample of what info is available in the full report.

That's the best advice I can offer besides looking at temp agencies like tradesmen international. They can be a mixed bag; but decide for yourself.
    Benson's Mobile Welding - Dayton, OH metro area - AWS Certified Welding Inspector