Thread: Safety

Post Thanks / Like

Safety

I just bought a hobart handler 140 to teach myself how to weld, my question is would it be safer to weld outside in the yard with some welding blankets on the grass or under my carport on the driveway. The only question about the carport is that it borders the house and our neighbors house, I could attach welding blankets to make side walls on the carport, but would that be enough protection? I'm going to mostly be doing flux core welding as I don't have the gas tank for my welder yet. The blankets I plan on using are going to be actual welding fiberglass blankets I thought maybe just lay the blankets on the grass or lay plywood down first and then blankets.Thank you for your time and help on this, just trying to be as safe as possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Safety

if it was me I would stay on the concrete, welding blankets are a good idea, the garden hose to wet anything down and have a good fire extinguisher. how big is the car port? how close is it to the house? You will want to watch where you are throwing sparks with grinders etc
    - Christian M.
    C3 Welding & Fabrication
    - CNC Plasma Cutting
    -Mobile Welding
    -Custom welding and fab
    www.c3welding.com

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with camjeep, also house keeping remove any combustables and clean out cracks and corners where the concrete meets the wood. I always wait a wile as a fire watch before leaving the work area as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for y'all's advice