Thread: Miller AEA 200L

Post Thanks / Like

Miller AEA 200L

I was reading AR Hillbillys' post on "Drug another Project home"
    I have welder exactly like his, that bought for the Onan motor, but it was to good a looking welder to tear apart
    so I am getting it running. Everything seems to work, Welds and has AC output. Mine does not rectifier either.
    What I can determine, is that the DC generator supplies the DC voltage to the slip ring brushes to flash the revolving field
    windings.

Mine is still the original Miller gray, with all the decals intact.

I cannot find a manual for it on Miller website
    AEA 200L Serial # H153784 W/Onan--recoil start

Also does anyone have or know the paint code for the Miller Blue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Keith

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Miller AEA 200L

Keith Mine is to old to get the manual from Miller. I think they go back to the mid to late 60's mine's a 58'. Duane figured the date out for me.
    Thad

Post Thanks / Like

Keith I told you wrong. Mine is a 1959 and I assume from your serial number yours is also.

Post Thanks / Like

I noticed that your serial no. is not much different than mine. According to the memo that Duane posted, mine is late 59.. If I remember correctly
    yours is late 59 model also, a little higher number than the one I have. mine is complete, even has the factory cart under it.
    I did have it running, ran a couple of lines with the welder, Checked the AC output, both 120 and 230V. It quit on me a couple days ago, when I was setting the timing. I haven't figured out why or what happened..Just that I don't have any voltage to the points. The wire coming to points from the coil shows it is a direct short to the case (Ground)

Did you get yours to weld and have AC Voltage yet??

Keith

I'm going to repaint it Miller blue. Do you happen to have the paint code for the Blue paint.

Post Thanks / Like

No I haven't got it to weld yet. We have grand kids staying with us and I'm working long hrs so I'm not getting much time in the shop. I painted mine with Sail blue rustoleum spray paint from Walmart. It's a close match to newer Miller Blue. I had to unhook the kill switch to get mine to fire. I don't understand the ground wire to the coil but mine is the same as yours. I found with mine that the timing must be very close or it doesn't run and the points have to be just right. I had the gas tank off several times before I got it right. I'll rig up a temp gas tank until I get it welding.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Keith-OR View Post
    It quit on me a couple days ago, when I was setting the timing. I haven't figured out why or what happened..Just that I don't have any voltage to the points. The wire coming to points from the coil shows it is a direct short to the case (Ground)
    Quote Originally Posted by AR. Hillbilly View Post
    I don't understand the ground wire to the coil but mine is the same as yours. I found with mine that the timing must be very close or it doesn't run and the points have to be just right.
    The ground wire from the (-) coil terminal goes to the points and battery (+) from the ignition switch goes to the (+) coil terminal. If the (+) wire is going to the points then the condenser is most likely shorted and the reason it shows shorted to ground on Keith's machine.

AR, recheck your points gap.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duaneb55 View Post
    The ground wire from the (-) coil terminal goes to the points and battery (+) from the ignition switch goes to the (+) coil terminal. If the (+) wire is going to the points then the condenser is most likely shorted and the reason it shows shorted to ground on Keith's machine.

AR, recheck your points gap.
    Duane, I disconnected the wires from coil at the-- point, condenser box, there is no connection to ground.. Condenser is fine.
    When I reconnect the coil wire, it is like a direct short to ground. I've also measured the push to stop bottom, it is open until I push it as
    to kill engine.
    I can't seem to find the correct schematic for the Onan that is on this machine. To me it looks like some one wired the coil incorrectly, here is how it is wired
    1. wire comes from under the mag to the points, wire runs from the the points to one side of the coil on the other terminal of coil, wire runs to ground. I am assuming that the wire coming from behind the fly wheel is from a 6 V stator.

I would think that the coil should be wired same any battery operated system, ---Wire comes from power source(stator) to + side of coil, then a wire from - side of coil to the points/condenser.

I installed new points, condenser and spark plugs before I attempted to start 1st time.

Thanks
    Keith

Post Thanks / Like

Duane, I just went out tested the ignition coil with ohm meter obtained following readings
    1. primary resistance is 2.84 ohms
    2. Secondary resistance is 8.24K ohms

I'll recheck my reading tomorrow with a different meter.

Keith

Post Thanks / Like

My bad. I was referring to a battery ignition system rather than the mag system on your CCK units.

Your secondary resistance readings are out of spec and these should help sort things out.

Onan CCK Mag Ignition System pg1.pdf
    Onan CCK Mag Ignition System pg2.pdf
    Onan CCK Mag Ignition System pg3.pdf
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Duane,
    BUt I have that manual with those wiring diagrams, but they are not how this Onan is wired.
    I haven't had a chance to pull the flywheel off to see what is behind it as far as if it is an alternator of sorts or what.

I haven't had a chance to do anything, been dealing with a downed horse this morning. Priorities, Priorities

Post Thanks / Like

Keith mine is wired exactly as you said yours is. It runs perfect. If the timing is off even a little it won't run and the points need to be set exact or mine doesn't run. I like to never got it running until I got the timing set right. It has the points box all the way to the left before it will run. New points/condenser are sometimes junk.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I found my Fluke VOM. measured the coil again,got the same reading as with the other meter.
    Primary readings---2.84to 2.84 ohms
    Secondary ----- 8.25 K ohms

I put new plug wires to the spark plugs.
    Hooked everything back up as it was, it tried to run when I cranked it.

I'll get hold of TJ to see about a good coil. @ onan parts

AR.Hillbilly & Duane thanks for all the info.
    Tomorrow I will get a new gas line for the temp. gas tank, then see if it will run as before.

Post Thanks / Like

Got motor back together, it already had new points, condenser and spark plugs, I put in new spark plug wires. put all the shielding back on
    put in some to a temp tank, cranked a couple of times, wa la she fired up. Still running right now, going to let it run 1/2 to an hour.
    already had it welding coupe of days ago. Had checked the AC it was operating has it should..

So all that is left to do is clean it up and shoot on some paint..Miller Blue

Thanks Duane and Hillbilly

PS will post some pictures later

Keith