Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Police officer came to my shop today

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Police officer came to my shop today

After a good wire brushing a piece of chalk can make impressions stand out for easy reading some times.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Yea.... I ran into a few variations on that theme when I was searching for info. Some guys would just shake flour on it and wipe it off...others would give it a quick blast with a fluorescent orange spray bomb and wipe with a rag while it was still wet. Unfortunately most of my letters appear to have been beaten into submission by a large hammer and won't be coming home any time soon.
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    I looked at this one for about 15 yrs and never saw any markings either.... they didn't show up until I took the wire brush to it, and even then most of the markings are gone. They will likely be on the right hand side starting just below the hardened plate. Either the original builder was light with the stamps, or my grandfather was a pretty bad aim (which would explain a few things...). And you're right, that looks almost identical to my "before" pic, but your chips aren't as bad as the one that wasn't visible in my picture. I like your stand...might have to copy that some day. I should have reshot that pic in the sunlight, it looks really gross in that ugly blue color... thankfully in real life it isn't that bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by DSW View Post
    After a good wire brushing a piece of chalk can make impressions stand out for easy reading some times.

After reading these this morning, went out and gave it a quick brush with the wire wheel. Still nothing visible.
    After the Christmas rush is over, I'll spend some more time at it and give it a good brushing.

Thanks
    Paul

Miller Thunderbolt XL
    Praxair O/A
    Other stuff

Post Thanks / Like

I'm betting that if anything is left, it will be the old English weight markings... they should be 3 numbers in a row closer to the base. Anything closer to the top was in the road of wild flying hammers.
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les