Page 97 of 97 FirstFirst ... 4787959697
Results 2,401 to 2,419 of 2419

Thread: Blacksmithing tools

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blacksmithing tools

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post

Of course those that know, would argue that me deserving minimum wage might be a bit of a stretch…
    lol. That's funny

Post Thanks / Like

I need a post vice. I will either buy a cheap one off eBay or build my own out of HD tube steel. Buying one might work better but i like the idea of making one. I have some 2" bar stock i could use but i was holding onto that. I made my own anvil out of forklift tines. It actually works quite well. I enjoyed making it. If i could get my hands on another set of those tines they might make a HD post vice. It wouldn't break that's for sure.
    Last edited by Need Advice; 13 Hours Ago at 03:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

You don't "need" a post vise. And, to be honest, they aren't that great for a lot of things because the jaws don't close parallel. I don't use one at all, though there is one in the stockpile if I ever get a wild hair and decide to build some kind of stand for it.

A heavy-duty old school machinist's vise mounted to a heavy bench? Love mine and use it all the time. You can't ask for better, imo. 99% of what you do will require a good solid hold on the material, and a heavy machinist's vise delivers that in spades. The only upside to a post vise is that they are designed to be pounded on without damaging the screw or fracturing the casting. And, if your machinist vise is big enough, even hammering on something in the jaws isn't a problem as long as you're not crazy about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    You don't "need" a post vise. And, to be honest, they aren't that great for a lot of things because the jaws don't close parallel. I don't use one at all, though there is one in the stockpile if I ever get a wild hair and decide to build some kind of stand for it.

A heavy-duty old school machinist's vise mounted to a heavy bench? Love mine and use it all the time. You can't ask for better, imo. 99% of what you do will require a good solid hold on the material, and a heavy machinist's vise delivers that in spades. The only upside to a post vise is that they are designed to be pounded on without damaging the screw or fracturing the casting. And, if your machinist vise is big enough, even hammering on something in the jaws isn't a problem as long as you're not crazy about it.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I have a few questions if you don't mind. Don't they make forged steel vices? Wouldn't they be strong enough not to break? And what about cost? Aren't they expensive? If i made my own vice out of steel, maybe even those forklift tines, they wouldn't break. Maybe i could add some guides on the side to keep the jaws parallel? I don't know, just questions flouting around in my head. The only vice i have now is a cast iron HF model. I cant beat on that.

Post Thanks / Like

A post vise is handy because of the quick opening and closing.
    The only reason I have them is that they were really inexpensive.
    A Indian Chief with 5 and 1/4" jaws was $10.00 I felt so guilty, I gave her $20.00 and it's complete and excellent condition.
    I did spend $75.00 at her garage sale and saved $100's. Best deals ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Ive seen people fabricate their own bench vices out of steel. You would think that could take a lot of abuse. But cost is another factor. You need a screw and steel. Maybe buying one would be the way to go, im not sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    A post vise is handy because of the quick opening and closing.
    The only reason I have them is that they were really inexpensive.
    A Indian Chief with 5 and 1/4" jaws was $10.00 I felt so guilty, I gave her $20.00 and it's complete and excellent condition.
    I did spend $75.00 at her garage sale and saved $100's. Best deals ever.

I would love to get a deal like that but i never see them anywhere except online. The cheapest I've seen is $95 with $100 shipping on eBay.

Post Thanks / Like

If i do ever get a chance to buy an old bench vice at a reasonable cost i will buy it. I've seen them at flea markets but they want an arm and a leg for them. And I'm not sure what is good and what is bad. I have a vice that works but i need one i can abuse without breaking.

Post Thanks / Like

Back in the day you could buy old tools cheap because people didnt know what they were worth. But now with the internet everything is a collectible and expensive. When i was a teenager we moved into a house that had a post vice in the basement. I didn't know what it was at the time but wished i would have taken it with me when we moved.

Post Thanks / Like

I traded a Milwaukee sawzaw for an old woodworkers vice. It was from the 1920's i think. After i decided to give up on woodworking (too may irons in fire so to speak) i sold it at the flea market for $80. The guy was very happy to get it at that price. I don't know what it was worth but a new one that same size and style costs $200. I should have kept it and tried to trade it for an old bench vice. Sorry for all the posts, sometimes i don't know when to shut up, lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Need Advice View Post
    Sorry for all the posts, sometimes i don't know when to shut up, lol
    You'll fit in fine. LOL

:

12. Likes Need Advice, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

By the time you collect all the metal for making a vise, then actually burn through all the rod or wire to weld it up.... you're way past what a "vintage" vise would cost you.

I see both types for sale on Facebook's "marketplace" with regularity. Price can vary, but I'd feel a lot better buying an old machinist's vise rather than a post vise since the latter are usually beaten and battered, and missing parts.

Are big machinist vises worth the money? Yes. And you can find them pretty cheap if you take the time to hunt for them. And as soon as you buy one for $100, you'll run across two that are bigger and at a better price. That's just the nature of the beast.

Do some research in to the old vise brands. Study up on what to look for. Ideally, you should be looking for a vise that weighs somewhere around 100# or more. New vises suck, imo, especially those made in china, so don't think you're getting a good deal when you buy one. The older vises from the 60's and earlier, made in America, Canada or England.... those are very good tools made by people who appreciated good tools. They won't let you down, and that's why they are priced rather high. Even a cheap modern vise is going to set you back $60 or more if you buy it at the store, so don't fret about paying twice that for a vintage older vise that you know you can rely on.

14. Likes Need Advice liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    By the time you collect all the metal for making a vise, then actually burn through all the rod or wire to weld it up.... you're way past what a "vintage" vise would cost you.

I see both types for sale on Facebook's "marketplace" with regularity. Price can vary, but I'd feel a lot better buying an old machinist's vise rather than a post vise since the latter are usually beaten and battered, and missing parts.

Are big machinist vises worth the money? Yes. And you can find them pretty cheap if you take the time to hunt for them. And as soon as you buy one for $100, you'll run across two that are bigger and at a better price. That's just the nature of the beast.

Do some research in to the old vise brands. Study up on what to look for. Ideally, you should be looking for a vise that weighs somewhere around 100# or more. New vises suck, imo, especially those made in china, so don't think you're getting a good deal when you buy one. The older vises from the 60's and earlier, made in America, Canada or England.... those are very good tools made by people who appreciated good tools. They won't let you down, and that's why they are priced rather high. Even a cheap modern vise is going to set you back $60 or more if you buy it at the store, so don't fret about paying twice that for a vintage older vise that you know you can rely on.
    If i could find one for $100 that would be good, i was thinking they went for many times that.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess i was looking at the Wilton bullet vice. Those go for $400-$500 used i think. That looks like a nice vice but out of my price range. I have seen other machinist vices much cheaper after looking.

Post Thanks / Like

Blacksmithing tools

I agree with those suggesting a machinist vise

A big old ugly one as long as it has no cracks or repairs, operates freely and it is OLD.

Stay away from the import ones no matter how big they are. They are easily identifiable if they have a BIG BOLD number on the side of the casting and NO manufacturer designation. OR if they have a built in “anvil” The other giveaway is when you break it you notice that the voids in the casting is filled with Bondo.

You don’t need swivel base for smithing. Bolt it securely to a solid, stable work surface.

Oh and stay away from exposed screw vises.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lis2323; 10 Hours Ago at 07:08 PM.
    :

18. Likes Need Advice liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would love to get a deal like that but i never see them anywhere except online. The cheapest I've seen is $95 with $100 shipping on eBay.
    Have you checked Facebook marketplace or Craiglist ?? Your location could possibly be the reason too.
    Start packing....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    Have you checked Facebook marketplace or Craiglist ?? Your location could possibly be the reason too.
    Start packing....

No, i only checked eBay. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check.

Post Thanks / Like

I found this anvil for $50. Looks like it might have a steel top.

Post Thanks / Like

I found this anvil for $50. Looks like it might have a steel top.

The again maybe its just an ASO