Page 100 of 108 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102 ... LastLast
Results 2,476 to 2,500 of 2688

Thread: Blacksmithing tools

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blacksmithing tools

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post

No, tongs are not expensive. Tongs are very very cheap. You're talking about buying a vise and a guillotine tool, but now you're balking at the cost of tongs? How does that make sense? Why would you quibble about the price of a the most important tools in your arsenal? You do not need a vise or a guillotine, as we've already discussed, but you do need tongs that are of good quality. If ever there was a place to skimp.... this isn't it.
    Yes i guess you're right. I was thinking about buying 5 pair of tongs for $200-$250. That sounds expensive when you consider how many tongs people usually end up with.
    Lincoln Pro MIG 180
    Chicago electric 225 Arc
    Harris oxy fuel

Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved. Romans 10:13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Need Advice View Post
    Yes i guess you're right. I was thinking about buying 5 pair of tongs for $200-$250. That sounds expensive when you consider how many tongs people usually end up with.
    Stop watching YouTube or those blacksmith shop photos with a wall full of tongs on display.

I guarantee you they are just ones they have acquired one way or another ( nothing wrong with that) and NOT ones they ever use.

Start with one and add the style(s) you think you need for work holding depending on your needs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

3. Likes VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought my tongs from Centaur Forge.
    Most I bought on sale so it wasn't too bad.
    I think the most expensive was the large Wolf's jaw tongs.
    I'd rather buy ones and use my time doing projects.
    Quality tongs are much safer then investing time trying to make them. That's my opinion.
    Centaur Forge usually always has something on sale. I buy my horseshoes from them too.
    Check their Clearance section. I bought scrolling tongs for $22.00 .

https://www.centaurforge.com/mobile/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post

I can’t tell you how many times I grabbed a hot object right after welding it followed by ouch that’s hot followed by running hand under cold water. “Palm to forehead”
    N2

:

6. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Blacksmithing tools

The fellow that bought the little post mount hand crank drill I refurbished a while back….

shipped this one over to me today to do something with….

Maybe powder coat or chrome. I sent him this photo from that RR track post thread here on WW

and he is looking into getting me some track as he is involved with the historical railway preservation societies locally.

:

8. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bah Humbug!

You need about 4 pairs of tongs to get you going, and that'll last you for several years unless you start going wonky with the things you build. I prefer box-jaw tongs for holding flat bar because it traps the steel in place. A single pair that'll hold 1"x1/4", a very common size stock for beginners, will also hold sizes smaller than that, obviously. A pair for holding 1/2"x1/4" would be mandatory for making things like hooks and scrolls. Throw in a pair of v-bit bolt jaw tongs to hold 1/4" round and 1/2" round. They'll hold square bar, too, and even some sizes a hair larger or smaller.

Then maybe you worry about getting some flat-bit tongs or scrolling tongs. Buy as you go. Experiment with tongs from different makers because you'll soon find that some are far too heavy for the metal they're working... and some are far too small for the size they're advertised for. If you go back through this forum, you'll see where I've talked about a lot of different makes and models.

After you have a year or two under your belt and know how to forge metal reliably, then you can start thinking about making your own tongs. Then you'll know what you need to know and have some experience about what you like and don't like.

While the "Rapid Tongs" from Ken's Custom Iron are very nice and I wouldn't begrudge anyone trying their hand at them.... you really do run the risk of ruining them because you don't know what you're doing -- just like you ruined the drawknife and tongs you've already tried making. It's easy to screw things up, believe me! Investing in some quality tongs from a good maker will drastically improve your ability to work. You'll be far more comfortable and happy, thus more productive and less frustrated.

10. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    I sent him this photo from that RR track post thread here on WW

Funny you mention that because I was thinking about doing the same thing to make an anvil for a treadle hammer. Four short pieces of track stood on end would give a lot of mass, I think, and be more than enough for what you do with the treadle hammers. Plus it would look cool.

12. Likes whtbaron, N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    Bah Humbug!

:

Post Thanks / Like

You can fix that. Just send me all those extra tongs you all have lying around, lol (just kidding)
    Lincoln Pro MIG 180
    Chicago electric 225 Arc
    Harris oxy fuel

Post Thanks / Like

I can’t tell you how many times I grabbed a hot object right after welding it followed by ouch that’s hot followed by running hand under cold water. “Palm to forehead”
    That's why I have a big healthy aloe vera plant in the flowerbed next to my shop - magical stuff!
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS
    (3) Angle Grinders at the Ready
    Just a hobbyist trying to improve

16. Likes whtbaron, N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shootr View Post
    That's why I have a big healthy aloe vera plant in the flowerbed next to my shop - magical stuff!
    Ahhhh, IPA'S work for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post
    Get a piece of round bar and make a taper.
    Cut it off. Make another taper. Repeat until the bucket is full. Make long tapers, then make short tapers.
    Do the same with square bar.
    You can use a piece of round bar to make a piece of square bar then taper. Or vice versa, square to round then taper.
    Using a piece of round to make a square also helps to teach technique since it is very easy to make a trapezoid or parallelogram if not careful.

Honestly, it seems like you are a squirrel chasing nuts. You have a lot of interest in many fields. That can lead to a mediocre result.

I know that feeling since I bounce around on the projects I make.

You are doing a great job asking for advice. Now it is time to focus on one or two areas and learn to do them somewhat well. Use those skills to make money to buy other tools as needed.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
    Just wondering, are there any more exercises you can suggest? It would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
    Lincoln Pro MIG 180
    Chicago electric 225 Arc
    Harris oxy fuel

Post Thanks / Like

Just wondering, are there any more exercises you can suggest? It would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
    Vaughn is the best actual blacksmith on this forum. He would be the one to ask.
    I just use blacksmithing techniques in some of my art.
    The pics I posted are an exercise I did to learn and so he could give me advice. Check the blacksmithing thread for more ideas. You can also go through earlier pages of this thread for more ideas on the tooling used.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 625 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

20. Likes Need Advice liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought two pair of hoof nippers (or nail pullers?) at the flea market and a pair of flat jaw tongs. I plan on fabricating/welding jaws to the nippers to hold square and round stock. The way they are shaped they seem like they might make an ok pair of bolt jaw tongs. Anyone know what kind of steel they are made from? Can i weld jaws to them? The only drawback is they seem pretty heavy.

Name:  20210929_180726.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  54.0 KB
    Last edited by Need Advice; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:17 PM.
    Lincoln Pro MIG 180
    Chicago electric 225 Arc
    Harris oxy fuel

Post Thanks / Like

Heat and beat - that's what blacksmiths do. Forge the Jaws into useful shapes.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

23. Likes Need Advice liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nippers are usually made from a higher carbon steel than mild steel. They can be reformed into great tongs. I have a couple of tongs made from them. Due to the higher carbon steel, DON'T quench or dunk them in water if you get them exceedingly hot, like red, when forging or they're likely to crack.

25. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shortfuse View Post
    Nippers are usually made from a higher carbon steel than mild steel. They can be reformed into great tongs. I have a couple of tongs made from them. Due to the higher carbon steel, DON'T quench or dunk them in water if you get them exceedingly hot, like red, when forging or they're likely to crack.
    Thanks, so i guess welding on them is out of the question. I'll have to heat and beat like Shootr said.
    Lincoln Pro MIG 180
    Chicago electric 225 Arc
    Harris oxy fuel

Post Thanks / Like

I was once told you cant weld spring steel because it will crack. After a google search i found out you can weld high carbon steel if you preheat it. But i think just forging the jaws would be better anyway because i have no experience of know how welding such steel.. Thanks.
    Lincoln Pro MIG 180
    Chicago electric 225 Arc
    Harris oxy fuel

Post Thanks / Like

Just curious what those set you back. I’ve never seen any that I have noticed at a flea market. It’s always possible I’ve seen some in the past but they probably did not grab my attention because I was most likely on a mission trying to find other goodies. Good find NA.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

The fellow that bought the little post mount hand crank drill I refurbished a while back….

shipped this one over to me today to do something with….

Maybe powder coat or chrome. I sent him this photo from that RR track post thread here on WW
    I would give that drill press a REALLY good bath in "purple cleaner" ,, then give it a coat of real boiled linseed oil.

I am a sucker for tools at fleamarkets that are refinished that way,, they look "authentic",, not modern,,

Post Thanks / Like

Just curious what those set you back. I’ve never seen any that I have noticed at a flea market. It’s always possible I’ve seen some in the past but they probably did not grab my attention because I was most likely on a mission trying to find other goodies. Good find NA.
    I paid $5 a piece for them. I also got a brand new looking Harris Oxy regulator for $15. My old one started leaking. I was told its probably because i didn't relive the pressure from the lines and that ruined the diaphragm.
    Last edited by Need Advice; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:52 AM.
    Lincoln Pro MIG 180
    Chicago electric 225 Arc
    Harris oxy fuel

Post Thanks / Like

I was considering buying this set of tongs. They are not as HD looking as other tongs but they are affordable. Does anyone know what the 3rd pair of tongs that have slots cut into them are for? I've never seen tongs like that before.

Lincoln Pro MIG 180
    Chicago electric 225 Arc
    Harris oxy fuel

Post Thanks / Like

I paid $5 a piece for them. I also got a brand new looking Harris Oxy regulator for $15. My old one started leaking. I was told its probably because i didn't relive the pressure from the lines and that ruined the diaphragm.
    . Not bad at all.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

33. Likes Need Advice liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

$5/ea is a steal - you did very well there!

RE: Tongs - Vaughn turned me onto this shop for the make-yourself set of tongs:

Best-Selling Rapid Tongs Bundle Set – Ken's Custom Iron Store (kensironstore.com)

I bought them, and learned a lot by making them (and ruining one or two). Ken's come with detailed instructions, and he also made video's of how each is made. That's a lot of value, from an American company, that deserves the business.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

35. Likes Need Advice, VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shootr View Post
    $5/ea is a steal - you did very well there!

RE: Tongs - Vaughn turned me onto this shop for the make-yourself set of tongs:

Best-Selling Rapid Tongs Bundle Set – Ken's Custom Iron Store (kensironstore.com)

I bought them, and learned a lot by making them (and ruining one or two). Ken's come with detailed instructions, and he also made video's of how each is made. That's a lot of value, from an American company, that deserves the business.
    I think that set of tongs are the same ones i posted. In the description on the website you gave me it said the slotted tongs are so you can grab round, square or flat iron with the same tongs. thanks. I like the video that he adds. That is a lot of value.
    Last edited by Need Advice; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:05 AM.
    Lincoln Pro MIG 180
    Chicago electric 225 Arc
    Harris oxy fuel