+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 118 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Blacksmithing tools

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blacksmithing tools

Nothing too special, but for those without a real anvil, if you can cut a hardy hole, here are some cheap tool ideas to help with curves. There are much better options if you want to spend money

(Bottom picture is the not-a-real-anvil with its very useful new hardy hole.)

-Q
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. Likes Garfield43 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nail Header made from a 5/8" flange bolt.

The Steel Puck my dad designed for helping dish out bowls. Way better than a ring or tank end!

Ring Tongs -- exactly what you need when trying to forge out chain hooks and the like!

Post Thanks / Like

Side-mounted anvil vise. Perfect for third-hand operations!

Post Thanks / Like

Scrolling tool. You often see these mentioned when doing Penny End Scrolls, but they aren't absolutely necessary for that task. They do come in handy when you're trying to touch up any scroll and need an anvil inside the curve.

Name:  IMG_3821.jpg
Views: 1073
Size:  38.0 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Vaughn, I'm glad you posted the scrolling tool. I've been looking for something new to work on with these beautiful days for forging lately, so that's my next project. Been wanting to make one of those for a long time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shortfuse View Post
    Been wanting to make one of those for a long time.
    Glad I could help. If I could change anything, I'd make it about an inch or so shorter so it was more stable. I haven't really needed it to be so tall, but that's one of life's lesson learned.

Post Thanks / Like

Rings and curves... you can never have enough forms. I found some scrap pipe that I cut a slice off of. Then I found some more scrap to make a small cone mandrel for the anvil. They don't get much use in the shop, but better to have them and not need them......

Post Thanks / Like

Just need to fab up a stand..Name:  post vice one.jpg
Views: 1687
Size:  34.4 KBName:  post vice two.jpg
Views: 1341
Size:  60.3 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Gorgeous!

I keep putting off making a stand for mine, but keep waiting until I come up with that "right" design. Maybe one of these days I'll find just the right piece for the stand....

Post Thanks / Like

A real beauty!Name:  IMG_7984 (1).jpg
Views: 982
Size:  72.6 KB Here is a picture of mine.

Post Thanks / Like

My vise stand is done.Name:  Leg vise stand.jpg
Views: 1166
Size:  34.7 KBName:  leg vise stand 3.jpg
Views: 1253
Size:  43.2 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a couple of my post leg vices mounted.

:

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of nice tools shown, enjoyed looking at them, thanks...

I like this guys blacksmith tools, his finished tools are top shelf. http://www.gstongs.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Forged out a bit of sucker rod to make a slot punch. My first time working and I like it. The info I've found online seems to indicate that it's 41xx or 43xx alloy, but it felt about the same as car coil spring when I was hammering on it.

Started with 7" and stretched it to almost 9" by the time all the tapering was done. The next tool is already underway, though I'm not sure what the working end will look like. Maybe a curved hot cut? Maybe a slitting chisel?

Name:  IMG_5083.jpg
Views: 899
Size:  72.6 KBName:  IMG_5085.jpg
Views: 866
Size:  70.3 KBName:  IMG_5087.jpg
Views: 894
Size:  80.9 KBName:  IMG_5093.jpg
Views: 868
Size:  74.1 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Since I've been working on all these new chisels and punches from the Sucker Rod Special I picked up a few weeks ago, I thought it'd be a good idea to make something to contain them.

I found a short length of 6" square tubing in the scrap pile and added some expanded metal to keep the tools standing upright. I haven't decided on putting a handle on the thing, but I'm pretty sure I'll stencil the shop name on the side of the thing so it's prevalent in any photos I take.

Name:  IMG_5375.jpg
Views: 844
Size:  54.8 KB

I love being organized, but it's so hard to stay organized!!

17. Likes Garfield43 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good idea ! Yes organization for me last until the next project. I will say that my roll around cart is now my favorite for being " project " organized for my artwork. That added HF magnetic strip works well .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    Since I've been working on all these new chisels and punches from the Sucker Rod Special I picked up a few weeks ago, I thought it'd be a good idea to make something to contain them.

I found a short length of 6" square tubing in the scrap pile and added some expanded metal to keep the tools standing upright. I haven't decided on putting a handle on the thing, but I'm pretty sure I'll stencil the shop name on the side of the thing so it's prevalent in any photos I take.

Name:  IMG_5375.jpg
Views: 844
Size:  54.8 KB

I love being organized, but it's so hard to stay organized!!
    I like it! Good idea.
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Got her finished and all prettied up. The label is held on with spray adhesive and then given a quick top coat of poly to protect it a bit.

Name:  IMG_5456.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  55.7 KB

Overall, I'm quite happy with it. The two layers of expanded metal keeps the tools from flopping around and there's plenty of room for more sucker rod tools when I get around to making them.

And if you thought being a pack rat was a bad idea.... I made the bottom from scrapped stuff I saved!

Not only did I save the scrapped piece, but I saved the cut-off pieces. All I did was tack them back together with a 1/8" gap for drainage...... and voila, I got a bottom piece!

Name:  IMG_5427.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  71.5 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Tongs are not a beginner's project. Good tongs should be light, well balanced and hold the stock securely. Good tongs are safety equipment and make your forging experience more enjoyable and productive. Even after all these years, I still prefer to buy tongs rather than make them myself.

Sometimes, though, I see something that makes me curious and I have to give it a go.

Case in point, the small v-bit tong kit from Ken's Iron.

For about $20 shipped to my door, they're about half the cost of a completed set of tongs. What I liked about them, though, was that they were small and light. Most folks model their tongs after the big industrial stuff from way back in the day... but we don't need that kind of stuff when working small stock. When I saw how small the KI tong kit was, I just had to give it a try since I was needing some tongs for 5/16" round bar that I use to make steak flippers.

Overall, I give it two thumbs up. Most of the work is done for you and you just need to drill for the rivet, draw out the reins a bit, and shape the jaws however you like. Fairly quick and easy stuff, all told.

Name:  IMG_5486.jpg
Views: 791
Size:  83.9 KBName:  IMG_5487.jpg
Views: 728
Size:  92.2 KB

The funny part is that if you factor in my time and the fuel I used, these tongs are no cheaper than buying a pair already made. Where they shine, though, is giving me complete control over how the finished product looks and works.

If you want to make some good lightweight tongs, these are a pretty good way to go. I'll be ordering a few more kits in the near future so I can make a few more pairs for small stock dimensions.

22. Likes Garfield43 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

homemade tools guy here, don't shoot me, not a spammer (PROOF: we're known on 350+ forums)

Excellent thread! Just a note that we featured DSW's guillotine tool in our HomemadeTools.net newsletter: http://mailchi.mp/buildthreads/class...rt-post-342773

You may not know it, but WeldingWeb is legendary among homemade tool fans; you guys are in our top 5 sites for homemade tool building forums. We've got 832 tools from WeldingWeb.com listed so far, each one fully credited to its builder, and properly linked to its original post. Here they all are: 832 homemade tools from WeldingWeb.com

I hope we've been able to send you lots of traffic. You earned it.

24. Likes Garfield43, VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Thanks for the post and link to the 832 tools. I frequent the site, but didn't know how much of the tools came from WW. It's gonna take a while to browse thru all those tools!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Don't click if your project list is already too long!

You guys are actually our top metal forum for homemade tools, including all welding forums, metalworking forums, machining forums, and blacksmithing forums. WeldingWeb is at #4 out of 2,700+ websites. You can see the full rankings here: http://www.homemadetools.net/sites

27. Likes VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by homemadetools View Post
    Don't click if your project list is already too long!

You guys are actually our top metal forum for homemade tools, including all welding forums, metalworking forums, machining forums, and blacksmithing forums. WeldingWeb is at #4 out of 2,700+ websites. You can see the full rankings here: http://www.homemadetools.net/sites
    quoted for truth. Theres some excellent quickies in there though, useful to be sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot to mention - I actually wrote a roundup of the best WeldingWeb homemade tools last year: 36 best homemade tools from WeldingWeb.com

Post Thanks / Like

Just picked up this anvil today not a blacksmith but thought it would be a good addition to the shop it weighs around 180# paid 175$ for it on the stand has a protrusion out the side not sure what its for Name:  IMG_20170525_214052_205.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  46.0 KBName:  IMG_20170525_214029_543.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  111.7 KB
    Thermal arc mst 400/vs212 feeder
    Esab 161
    Miller trailblazer 325
    Ahp alpha tig 200
    Miller 212 auto set w/30a spool gun
    Hypertherm powered 45xp
    Miller 211 w/ spoolmate 150
    Thermal arc hefty feeder

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist