+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How can i know for sure PC Board is Faulty?

Post Thanks / Like

Question How can i know for sure PC Board is Faulty?

Im looking to buy my first welder a lincoln Ranger 305G the engine runs but there is no voltage output. I know how to check for output with the engine alternator, but i don't know how to tell if the PC board is faulty. If its neither the PC board nor the Alternator im guessing it should be something simple and not too expensive to fix, its just a matter of figuring it out. I really want a Ranger 305G but i don't have the 5 grand to buy a new one. If i can get this thing up and running for under 1,500 it could change my life once i pass my 6G. please help me

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How can i know for sure PC Board is Faulty?

question #1 code number please.
    Few things to check first. Power plugs do they have correct AC voltage. 230 and 115 volts. can you make the engine go from low to high idle and have it go back to low by it's self. 15 sec timer. Find B1 and B2 on the chopper module and measure the DC voltage there. Should be between 80 and 100 volts dc. high idle.
    Need more clear information on what is working and what is not working.
    you can also try looking at the control pcb and see if anything is fried (burnt real bad).
    Discolored may not mean anything.
    Check your private messages

Post Thanks / Like

Just though of one thing, the weld terminal switch needs to be on to have voltage at the weld terminals. Try the mode switch in all positions.

Post Thanks / Like

Post pictures of this machine and boards

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ccawgc View Post
    question #1 code number please.
    Few things to check first. Power plugs do they have correct AC voltage. 230 and 115 volts. can you make the engine go from low to high idle and have it go back to low by it's self. 15 sec timer. Find B1 and B2 on the chopper module and measure the DC voltage there. Should be between 80 and 100 volts dc. high idle.
    Need more clear information on what is working and what is not working.
    you can also try looking at the control pcb and see if anything is fried (burnt real bad).
    Discolored may not mean anything.
    Check your private messages
    I seem to be having the same issue with 305d.
    The board is g5507-2g1. Any way I have no 110 or 240. I have no idea what the heck a chopper is. I just got this thing went to job site and plugged in 110 cord hooked up a mag drill drilled 4 holes then the mag let go and killed what ever was under the drill it fell.. anyway what do I check for or better yet how? Have meter in hand. [IMG]https://s.amsu.ng/0WSh3LTUdLQN
    Last edited by Jon lambert; 05-18-2021 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Adding pictures

Post Thanks / Like

Check with the manufacturer for error codes.
    It sounds like a loss wire but manufacturer can till if that case.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dcompeau View Post
    Im looking to buy my first welder a lincoln Ranger 305G the engine runs but there is no voltage output. I know how to check for output with the engine alternator, but i don't know how to tell if the PC board is faulty. If its neither the PC board nor the Alternator im guessing it should be something simple and not too expensive to fix, its just a matter of figuring it out. I really want a Ranger 305G but i don't have the 5 grand to buy a new one. If i can get this thing up and running for under 1,500 it could change my life once i pass my 6G. please help me

Post Thanks / Like

your welder should have 120vac, this welder has 3ph weld out put which goes to a bridge rectifier change to +/- , and the + side goes to positive out put and neg side goes to chopper "the one with 4 capacitors" and to the neg output . the chopper has two wires which receive PWM from control board. if you have 120ac then you have 3ph going to rectifier , and if chopper get the pulse from control board the welder will have output.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist