Thread: Smith-roles comet arc welder

Post Thanks / Like

Smith-roles comet arc welder

Hello everyone, first off I'm new to the forum.
    Secondly you'll have to pardon my less than acceptable knowledge lol but here goes.

I've acquired a Smith-roles comet 180 arc welder, didn't cost me a dime so I figured what the hell. It came with the cables and a bunch of different sticks and I figured I'd be able to find some form of documentation on this thing online but evidently not as it's qc date on the lid is from 1968. I am Curious to know if anyone is able to direct me on what goes where under the lid as it's missing what I assume to be a power switch of sorts on the front panel and looks to have 4 or 5 other wires that are loose ended. It'd be cool to be able to get this thing running and teach myself how to use it. I will post pictures just as soon as I'm able to figure out the function to do so! Thanks for any and all replies /help it will be greatly appreciated.Name:  PXL_20210526_052127480.NIGHT.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  57.9 KBName:  PXL_20210526_052019129.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  45.9 KBName:  PXL_20210526_051952499.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  65.9 KBName:  PXL_20210526_051944682.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  64.0 KBName:  PXL_20210526_051918772.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  66.6 KB
    Last edited by Deez666; 05-26-2021 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Pictures

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Smith-roles comet arc welder

Name:  PXL_20210526_051904059.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  61.6 KBName:  PXL_20210526_051833203.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  60.4 KB

There's a few pictures, if anyone needs anymore I can provide

Post Thanks / Like

That’s an interesting welder you have there. Maybe someone
    will come up with a schematic. Can’t tell a whole lot from the
    pics. Let’s say it had two incoming power wires to the switch,
    one incoming ground wire to the chassis, and two wires from
    the switch to the transformer. Are you saying there would still
    be 4 or 5 extra wires? Does it have a cooling fan ?
    Miller a/c-d/c Thunderbolt XL
    Millermatic 180
    Purox O/A
    Smith Littletorch O/A
    Hobart Champion Elite

Post Thanks / Like

I can get some better pictures this morning here it was fairly late and I was trying to hold the light and take the pictures lol. No cooling fan, and as far as I can see or tell there isn't much a place to put one, but to the question you asked, no. I think there is 5 wires total, possibly 6 but I'm pretty sure 5 is the number. It's 530 am currently so I'll go out in about half hour when there's a bit more light and take better pictures

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a link that I found to this Canadian-made welder:
    http://islandblacksmith.ca/2012/04/smith-roles-comet/

6. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The power switch for a welder like this usually disconnects BOTH of the 220 volt wires coming in.
    So, if there is a cord, 2 wires from the cord go to the switch, 2 go to the transformer, then there is at least one wire for ground,,

So, that would account for at least 5 wires,,

The switch on my Miller welder died,, this is what I ordered to replace my switch,,

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by SweetMK; 05-26-2021 at 10:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I've been led to this link several times throughout my search, it doesn't actually say anything about the I inner working of the machine. Just explains a bit about the company's and the history of it. Thank you though.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome, yes there is 6 wires total 3 that come in from the cord and 3 others all loose ended.

Post Thanks / Like

so here is from the side, the black cable on the top of the transformer goes back behind the transformer and hooks to 1 side of what I'm going to guess is some sort of capacitor? The white wire from the cord coming in is sitting at the bottom of the picture by itself, that leaves the 3 in front where the power switch should be all black from reading the prior reply I'm going to assume 2 are for the switch so what would the other one below them in the picture Aswell as the white one go to?
    Name:  PXL_20210526_131730270 (1).jpg
Views: 316
Size:  68.5 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Deez666; 05-26-2021 at 10:50 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

You may have to "judgement call" figure where the wires go by the length of the wires,,
    Where can the wire reach to?

In this pic, the upper wires go to the machine, the lower wires go to the power cord,,

in my machine, the power cord ground is bolted to the chassis somewhere.

I took this pic because ,, even though the terminals were numbered the same,
    the new switch was wired differently.

The old switch conducted up and down,, the new switch conducted side to side,,
    that was a surprise!!

12. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SweetMK View Post
    You may have to "judgement call" figure where the wires go by the length of the wires,,
    Where can the wire reach to?

In this pic, the upper wires go to the machine, the lower wires go to the power cord,,

in my machine, the power cord ground is bolted to the chassis somewhere.

I took this pic because ,, even though the terminals were numbered the same,
    the new switch was wired differently.

The old switch conducted up and down,, the new switch conducted side to side,,
    that was a surprise!!
    Awesome! My power cord also grounds to chassis. So now I've just got to get a switch, is there anything I can test with my dmm it's good for 500v ac so 180 shouldn't be a problem. Maybe some ohm tests or where to test better lol. Thank you to everyone who's replied as far. Trust me every bit helps. I can wrench a car eyes closed standing on my head (got to do this from time to time )
    But the only welder I've ever used before getting this one is my little century 80 Flux core welder. Good little machine but cannot do much of anything past 3/16" with it being gasless and 115v lol

Post Thanks / Like

I've used a Smith Rolls Comet and it welded pretty good for a buzz box. Ran some Blueshield 7018 just fine.

Post Thanks / Like

So I think I've got er worked out for the most part the only thing I can't quite factor in is the unit that's behind the main coil in the machine I've learned is a big *** capacitor of sorts, it's pretty badly corroded on the spade Connections on the top of it, is it absolutely necessary for function of the welder to have that thing wired in with the rest of it or will it work without? If it won't work without it can someone show me a diagram of any sorts on how I'm supposed to have it hooked up with the 2 thicker or 2 thinner leads that come from the main coils? And what's its function anyways? I only ask cause my century 80 doesn't have a cap that I can decipher anyways so I'm a bit lost on the topic

Post Thanks / Like

I’m not sure what your capacitor does, but I was looking
    at a schematic for a Lincoln Idealarc machine and some
    have a power factor correction capacitor that is
    connected right across the primary(input side) of the
    transformer. On that machine, the capacitor is optional,so
    that machine obviously works without it.
    If the top of your capacitor is corroded, it may have failed.
    Miller a/c-d/c Thunderbolt XL
    Millermatic 180
    Purox O/A
    Smith Littletorch O/A
    Hobart Champion Elite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Deez666 View Post
    So I think I've got er worked out for the most part the only thing I can't quite factor in is the unit that's behind the main coil in the machine I've learned is a big *** capacitor of sorts, it's pretty badly corroded on the spade Connections on the top of it, is it absolutely necessary for function of the welder to have that thing wired in with the rest of it or will it work without? If it won't work without it can someone show me a diagram of any sorts on how I'm supposed to have it hooked up with the 2 thicker or 2 thinner leads that come from the main coils? And what's its function anyways? I only ask cause my century 80 doesn't have a cap that I can decipher anyways so I'm a bit lost on the topic
    Maybe it was used in the 12VDC battery charging circuit than was included with the welder (as shown in the above link).

Post Thanks / Like

The battery charger is kind of what I was thinking Aswell, but I just wanted to make sure before trying to plug er in that it wasn't entirely needed for operation. Will let you guys know how it goes when I go get a 4 prong 230 plug so I can plug it into my genny. I have an extra dryer plug that would work but I don't really care to have to haul its heavy *** down the basement stairs to try it out lol. The cord is only about 4 ft long, too but an extension cord for a dryer is some special kinda cost lol. The 230 plug is only about 30 bucks seems like a no brainer to me! Hopefully all goes well and she fires up without too much grump about it, if so I'll tear it down one day soon here and repaint the ol girl.

Post Thanks / Like

I got er figured out, thank you to all that chimed in and helped me get there much appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

30 amp dryer plug may not be enough. Most buzz boxes use a standard 50 amp welder plug.