+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not just another welding table-cart.

Post Thanks / Like

Not just another welding table-cart.

I had some extra metal laying around and decided to make a welding table/cart. I live on a farm and there is no concrete here so the table had to be able to move easily around the farm. While looking for some king pin parts my girlfriend had an idea about buying a used lawn mower. I found a mower on craigslist and started the monster project. This is the biggest welding project I have done. The cart measures 3'x7'4" and is roughly 41" to surface. It took me roughly 2.5 weeks to build it. I started welding this thing with a cheapo harbor freight 90amp welder but load capacity was making it take way to long and to be frank making me mad. So I went and picked up a Northern 140amp Mig/Flux. I only used flux as I dont have any gas tanks yet. I am going to put the generator on it and I have another TIG welder and a few tanks coming from a buddy as trade for some web design work. Hopefully should get those next weekend. I paid $60 for the mower, $100 in paint and probably $30 in nuts bolts and a few odds and ends. Anyway let me know what you all think.

Below are some pictures and videos.
    The Mower
    Name:  Mower.jpg
Views: 1430
Size:  66.0 KB

Deconstruction
    Name:  decon.jpg
Views: 1420
Size:  61.5 KB

The middle box
    Name:  Middle.jpg
Views: 1411
Size:  67.8 KB

Back Box
    Name:  middleback.jpg
Views: 1411
Size:  70.4 KB

Finished Cart.
    Name:  finishedcart.jpg
Views: 1415
Size:  56.0 KB

And I know I talk to much but here is a video series on the cart.

I think my next project is a pickup truck crane, then an ATV dump cart. I need more ideas for projects to get better at welding so I am up for any of that you guys might have.
    Last edited by GunGeek; 08-17-2014 at 12:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Not just another welding table-cart.

Thats really cool, nice to have a mobile weld shop on the farm. Your gf had a good idea using the mower parts.

Instead of a regular generator you could put a small generator/welder like a Lincoln Outback or Miller Bluestar so you could do stick/tig repairs away from your shop. The stick capability would allow you to do larger and heavier projects without maxing out the 140.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Chris T.; 08-17-2014 at 11:48 AM.
    TOO MANY TOOLS & NO MORE SPACE

Post Thanks / Like

Chris, Thank you. The mobile aspect on the farm is critical, I have replaced all of my tool cart wheels with pneumatic and some still don't roll well.

I was getting really frustrated trying to find the parts I was looking for cause I am not good enough to make them yet. We went to Tractor supply and I thought hey let me look at this mower. Perfect, lets see if we can order this whole front assembly so we ran inside. But the guy that did the part ordering said we cant help you with ordering parts until Monday as part ordering is only Monday through Friday..GRRRRR. So off to Sears we went to try to get the parts. They don't carry parts at the stores anymore.. seriously internet has ruined instant gratification. By that point I was extremely frustrated when she said look here is a complete mower on CL for $150 so I started digging. If it wasnt for her I probably would still be trying to get parts.
    Last edited by GunGeek; 08-17-2014 at 11:56 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Look into solid off road wheels, kind of what forklifts and boom lifts have. Just on a smaller scale. Check McMaster and some other online caster suppliers.

I put pneumatic tires on my welding table which is about 4'x3' & 500#. As soon as I rolled it around back the tires went flat and the brarings spilled out of the swivel.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk
    TOO MANY TOOLS & NO MORE SPACE

Post Thanks / Like

You did well. Around here old garden tractors seem to have adopted a following of people that think they should be "restored" so even dead ones often sell in the $300 range. As you have discovered some of the generic brands sell cheaper. If you are in a rural area keep an eye out for auction sales. If these guys are cleaning up yards to make the place look good, quite often the "junk" that we can make stuff out of sells pretty cheap if you can beat the scrappers there. Trying to buy parts from dealers gets ridiculously expensive for parts that really aren't being pushed to their mechanical limits. I also end up dragging stuff around the yard or out to the field, and have been eyeing up the rear axle/wheel assemblies out of old front wheel drive cars as well. No big deal to narrow them and slip them into a size bigger tubing to maintain strength. When I have to go mobile I have a PTO generator big enough to light up the whole yard in a power outage, so welding with the stick in the field is also an option (being careful not to light the stubble on fire). Maybe a generator is your next addition?
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmm....sparks. Maybe you will need some light sheet metal to protect the tires and avoid flats? Great looking cart though, I like it. As for drawers, my brother built a work table and used one of the older smaller rollaway tool boxes. He cut off the bottom section with the wheels and fitted it into the project. Works well and gave it a very professional finished look.
    Last edited by whtbaron; 08-17-2014 at 12:22 PM.
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

That is a really cool cart. Looks like it will be just the ticket for moving around the farm/homestead. It looks like you painted the top. You might find that stripping it down to bare metal will make it a better surface for welding. Overall a great looking rig.

-Dave
    Work HARDER, not smarter!
    ------------------------
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Millermatic 251
    Lincoln Precision TIG 185
    Hypertherm PM 600
    Hobart 135 Handler
    Oxweld 400 FlameMaster

Post Thanks / Like

Chris I will take a look at the solid tires. I have probably already moved this thing around about a mile worth. So far bearings are holding up although I had to change a few old tire plugs out cause the tires were going flat. Solid may be the way to go, just not sure if they will fit these axles.

whtbaron. I have a generator and have planned on putting on the center section of the cart. I think I mentioned it in one of the long winded videos. As far as sparks are concerned I was worried about that as well until I ended up having to weld right over the top of the tires, no damage from the sparks/slag even on the dry rotted tires. I also forgot to mention in the text that I have two 220lb drawer slides on the way to turn the area above the rear tires into a few drawers. Of course I have to custom make the drawers. Not sure what size metal I'm going to use for those yet. I was going to put a tool box the center as well but going to wait until I have the extra funds for that tool boxes are expensive...

Leadhead, I did paint the top with 2000 degree primer. I would love to leave it bare metal but I also need to ensure that rust doesnt become an issue when it is sitting under the hay shed for a few days.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GunGeek View Post
    Leadhead, I did paint the top with 2000 degree primer. I would love to leave it bare metal but I also need to ensure that rust doesnt become an issue when it is sitting under the hay shed for a few days.
    I keep my welding table covered with a piece of naugahyde vinyl purchased at "JoAnn Fabrics" years ago. Everything is painted except the table top. Rust has never been a problem even when left outdoors for a couple of months. I roll the cover up and slide it into a pocket when it's not covering the table. It's so much easier to not need to ground the part to be welded, just the table.
    Slob

Purveyor of intimate unparalleled knowledge of nothing about everything.

Oh yeah, also an unabashed internet "Troll" too.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slob View Post
    I keep my welding table covered with a piece of naugahyde vinyl purchased at "JoAnn Fabrics" years ago. Everything is painted except the table top. Rust has never been a problem even when left outdoors for a couple of months. I roll the cover up and slide it into a pocket when it's not covering the table. It's so much easier to not need to ground the part to be welded, just the table.
    Hmm, I might have to check that out, I really didnt want to paint it but since I already had to remove a bunch of rust I figured it was a good idea.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, I might have to check that out, I really didnt want to paint it but since I already had to remove a bunch of rust I figured it was a good idea.
    Yes, it really has worked well but ensure the corners of your table are slightly rounded to not tear the cover. Naugahyde is not really a flimsy or light material and a cover of 4X8 is a bit heavier than you'd think. I have 12" overhang on all sides with mine and the edges of the 3/8ths plate don't rust.
    Slob

Post Thanks / Like

This thing looks just like a stripped down NASCAR pit box ,I looked into building one years ago .There were several different web sites that had builds on then.
    gxbxc

Post Thanks / Like

I think this is the Altamate mobile work cart

Post Thanks / Like

Holy moly, that is funny because I left the piece to hook up the steering wheel and the rear end still together so I can hook up a motor later. Someone Had a TON of money for that thing, first its a custom build, second, snapon, that stuff aint cheap either. I am guessing every bit of 20+k in that thing. Its nice but its too close to the ground for my purposes, nothing like getting high centered on a pebble. I considered using trailer jacks on each corner of mine as well but decided not to as the have a tendency to wobbly a bit. I am however considering 4 hydraulic rams, hooked to a switch valve and hand pump.
    Last edited by GunGeek; 08-17-2014 at 06:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok I just looked up forklift type tires. Those also come with a pretty hefty price tag. I may just stick with the heavier lawn type tires for now. Just need to make sure the can hold the weight. Yikes.

Post Thanks / Like

By the way thank you for all of the compliments on the table so far. I'm kinda proud of it... just need to make something on it now.

Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
    Post Thanks / Like

You could foam fill the mower tires , like on an off-road fork lift ( lull).
    Thermal arc 211i
    Ck flex-loc 150 & 130
    Clamps, saws & grinders
    Harbor freight 80 amp inverter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gxbxc View Post
    I think this is the Altamate mobile work cart

OP's table is great..... But being a red welding table fan........ THAT is my kind of table!! And I thought I had a Swiss army type table....
    Lincoln 180 Mig
    Lincoln 225 Tig
    Hypertherm 65

My Welding Table Build
    Video describing the Table

Post Thanks / Like

Did you guys catch the mini fridge on the right side

Post Thanks / Like

I am however considering 4 hydraulic rams, hooked to a switch valve and hand pump.
    Use a Fenner/Stone hydraulic power pack w/three way valve and four cheap portopower rams which are spring return. If you incorporate four solenoid, or manual valves, (one into each cylinder's hydraulic supply line) you could equalize for uneven terrain yet retain a state of level to your work surface.
    Slob

Post Thanks / Like

Use a Fenner/Stone hydraulic power pack w/three way valve and four cheap portopower rams which are spring return. If you incorporate four solenoid, or manual valves, (one into each cylinder's hydraulic supply line) you could equalize for uneven terrain yet retain a state of level to your work surface.
    Is that a powered unit? I am thinking more along the lines of hand pump.

Post Thanks / Like

Is that a powered unit? I am thinking more along the lines of hand pump.
    Yes, a 12VDC unit would do you fine with a small battery maintainer interconnected you would not need to plug in for a recharge very often at all. You could use a 12VDC battery from an emergency escape lamp which are about the size of a motorcycle battery and sealed, so no maintenance.
    Slob

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, a 12VDC unit would do you fine with a small battery maintainer interconnected you would not need to plug in for a recharge very often at all. You could use a 12VDC battery from an emergency escape lamp which are about the size of a motorcycle battery and sealed, so no maintenance.
    I looked at some. Is 200-300 a standard price on those? Do you have anywhere that has them a bit cheaper.

Post Thanks / Like

gungeek I gotta ask was that a riding ring you were welding in ?If so I guess it had only a sand floor and not a sand sawdust mix I have seen in some rings

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gxbxc View Post
    gungeek I gotta ask was that a riding ring you were welding in ?If so I guess it had only a sand floor and not a sand sawdust mix I have seen in some rings

Yes Barn/Riding arena. No sand at all, pure sawdust and the dirt that is under it. Wondering how I kept it from catching fire?

I will say that I will never work with tools in there again, the getting the sawdust on the tools isnt so bad, its when you drop them and they disappear.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist