+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ?? fibre metal head gear - rubber strap model ??

Post Thanks / Like

?? fibre metal head gear - rubber strap model ??

I bought the elastic head gear for a fibre metal hood. It has the black rubber strap behind my head. QMy question and problem is, it keeps loosening itself up. I bought a new strap for it, and its even worse. Every bead I run, I need to take it off and tighten it. The strap keeps slipping where it loops around the plastic part of head gear. Anyone else have this go on? ??

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ?? fibre metal head gear - rubber strap model ??

Everyone who uses the rubber headgear has that problem I think. There have been threads about it, there were some solutions but I don't remember what they were. Search and you should be able to find a fix. I swapped the ratchet headgear from my Tigerhood to my Pipeliner to get away from the rubber.
    Airco Ac/Dc 300 Heliwelder
    MillerMatic 200 (stolen)
    Miller Maxstar 150STL
    Miller Maxstar 161STH
    Miller AEAD200LE
    Hobart MIG
    Lincoln Idealarc 250

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post
    I bought the elastic head gear for a fibre metal hood. It has the black rubber strap behind my head. QMy question and problem is, it keeps loosening itself up. I bought a new strap for it, and its even worse. Every bead I run, I need to take it off and tighten it. The strap keeps slipping where it loops around the plastic part of head gear. Anyone else have this go on? ??
    I adjust it to fit the way I like then I wrap the ends with electrical tape. Works for me, I prefer the rubber over the ratchet for comfort but keep a ratcheting headgear in the truck along with a couple spare bands

Post Thanks / Like

I tape one side up real heavy, and leave the other one open for adjustment...
    Mine don't slip much at all.

Name:  IMG_7199.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  39.0 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Electrical tape. Or get the ratcheting gear

Post Thanks / Like

The funny thing is the ratcheting gear loosens up also. And the pivots loosen up too. Is is a constant fight to keep it working right on a tigerhood futura. The latest Jackson gear is infinitely better.

Post Thanks / Like

well thanks for the info and effort in taking the picture. You'd think they would add a 3rd hole on each side to weave through. Maybe they used the same engineer that miller used to put that little nipple on the door of a model 30a spool gun that's supposed to hold it shut. Because I've had to use tape on it since day one, when I paid a thousand bucks for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by atg View Post
    The funny thing is the ratcheting gear loosens up also. And the pivots loosen up too.
    Thought I was the only one having issues, especially with the pivots. Things are driving me nuts!

Quote Originally Posted by atg View Post
    The latest Jackson gear is infinitely better.
    I used to work with a guy that swapped the Jackson 370 head gear into a pipeliner. Is this what you are talking about? I've not tried it myself, but I do like that head gear. Just not sure how it will fit into the pipeliner

Post Thanks / Like

first thing I do for the pivots is take those worthless plastic trash can lid shaped outer washers off, and put 1/4 oversized metal washers on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcoffmanjr View Post
    Thought I was the only one having issues, especially with the pivots. Things are driving me nuts!

I used to work with a guy that swapped the Jackson 370 head gear into a pipeliner. Is this what you are talking about? I've not tried it myself, but I do like that head gear. Just not sure how it will fit into the pipeliner
    That would be optimal. The 370 gear is awesome. Either in the fibremetal or put it in a cardboard huntsman gold.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post
    first thing I do for the pivots is take those worthless plastic trash can lid shaped outer washers off, and put 1/4 oversized metal washers on.
    Thanks i will try that. Wont help the self-loosening ratchet though.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist