+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: I'll show you mine... you show me yours

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I'll show you mine... you show me yours

Nothing Ever Got Done By Quitting, Never Give Up.

Post Thanks / Like

This was actually a really fun tool stand to make. The black pipe used for supporting the vises and conduit benders was cut to 2” lengths and the squares of metal tacked to the sides of them were 2” x 2”. There were 9 of them welded to the upper portion of the 3” black pipe. I’m just posting a few photos of how it went together if anyone wants to copy it. This is actually a nice utilitarian tool stand since I tired of my tools falling over and cracking my recycling bins every time they were accidentally bumped. Really helps keep them upright and all together in one location with the added bonus of being able to see at a glance the length of the vises and clamps.
    --

Name:  Pipe vise and bar clamp stand materials 003.JPG
Views: 1347
Size:  84.3 KB

--

Name:  Pipe vise and bar clamp stand support spacing 006.JPG
Views: 1340
Size:  78.0 KB

--

Name:  Pipe vise and bar clamp stand tacking supoorts 008.JPG
Views: 1344
Size:  79.7 KB

--

Name:  Pipe vise and bar clamp stand tacking supports to pipe 011.JPG
Views: 1334
Size:  80.6 KB

--

Name:  Pipe vise and bar clamp stand supports finished 013.JPG
Views: 1339
Size:  76.5 KB
    MM 211
    Smith Tru Lite O/A set, Thanks Bob!
    Lincoln AC-225
    --
    But you must not change one thing, one pebble, one grain of sand, until you know what good and evil will follow on that act. The world is in balance, in Equilibrium- Ursula K. Le Guin

Post Thanks / Like

Ran into one little problem welding the pegs to the outer ring of the lowest portion of the rotor… every last tack failed. Why… I don’t know so I cut the 3” pipe off the brake rotor and ended up welding it to a tire rim. I like the look of the brake rotor for a base better than the tire rim but… I couldn’t weld the pegs to it no matter how hard I tried. No problems welding the pipe to the top portion of the brake rotor but… big problems trying to weld anything to the lower portion of it. Brake rotors must be made from two different types of metal. The end result turned out fine and the tacks holding the pegs in place that stabilize the vises are solid so I'm very happy with it.
    --

Name:  Pipe vise and bar clamp stand cutting off the brake rotor base 014.JPG
Views: 1336
Size:  83.5 KB

--

Name:  Pipe vise and bar clamp stand on new base 017.JPG
Views: 1334
Size:  100.3 KB

--

Name:  Pipe vise and bar clamp stand pegs in base 018.JPG
Views: 1332
Size:  98.7 KB

--

Name:  Pipe vise and bar clamp stand before being sandblasted 020.JPG
Views: 1337
Size:  89.9 KB

--
    Greg-r-u> That’s a really nice looking rim with what looks to be a scalloped interior. Very nice utilitarian tool stand.
    --
    AndyA> Your stand is yet another classic. Nice job.
    MM 211
    Lincoln AC-225
    --
    But you must not change one thing, one pebble, one grain of sand, until you know what good and evil will follow on that act. The world is in balance, in Equilibrium- Ursula K. Le Guin

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much. Beats the heck out of propping tools like that up against walls and the welding table. Kids knock them over.... I knock them over.... dogs knock them over.... everyone knocks them over. It got so the center bay of my garage was an obstacle course there for a while.
    MM 211
    Lincoln AC-225
    --

Post Thanks / Like

I love those I bar clamps much more so than regular pipe clamps. I wish I had more of them. Any time I see them at yard sales flea markets ( which isn't very common) I'll grab them.

I used to keep those bar clamps attached to a 2x4 nailed to the wall studs. I'd slide the bottom up and clamp them to the 2x and they'd stay up and out of the way.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Another rim , another great idea and job ! You are gettin pretty fancy . What's next ??? Can't wait to see the next one.

Post Thanks / Like

DSW> I have grown to love all clamps.... they're indispensable.
    --
    BD1> Ummm.... idea wasn't mine. I shamelessly stole it from my neighbor.
    --
    I have to move the stand that has the vise with the exposed threads down into the basement by the wood working tools to make room for this stand. I should have done that a while ago but... I like looking at it. Gimmie over winter to figure out how to cram more into my bay of the garage because I know I'm going to want another vise that doesn't swivel and I'm going to need an anvil. Both will need dedicated stands.
    MM 211
    Lincoln AC-225
    --

Post Thanks / Like

BD1> Ummm.... idea wasn't mine. I shamelessly stole it from my neighbor.

Oh, come on, there is no stealing here. You probably thought you saw it but with those eyes who knows what you really saw. Regardless, great job !!!

Actually, I have one like that for my earrings.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post

Oh, come on, there is no stealing here.
    I believe the term you are looking for is "creative acquisition"...

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DSW View Post
    I believe the term you are looking for is "creative acquisition"...
    COOL !! I really like that.

Post Thanks / Like

When I used to live in the city I had to deal the the Philadelphia Self Help Society fairly regularly.... There were plenty of people there more than willing to help themselves to anything you didn't nail down. I understand they have branches just about every where.

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

I have very discriminating tastes... I only creatively acquire/STEAL designs that will work for me given the space I have in which to store my welding tools and supplies is extremely limited. Speaking of which... I've been eye balling the bases with wheels on pin2hot's (post #46), Rog02's (post #74). and NorOnt's (posts 77-80) tool stands for future use soon as I locate a 40 pound anvil that's affordable. I'm going to need to be able to move an anvil and I think wheels and a grab bar will be the only way I'll be able to do that.
    --
    DSW> The 'Philadelphia Self Help Society' with branches everywhere, eh? Far too polite!!! So much "stuff" that wasn't nailed down was stolen that they've resorted to boldly driving up driveways in our area. They're forcing up garage doors with coat hangers of all things in broad daylight while most people are at work. They drive vans and PUs right up our driveways. They open the garage doors and pull their vehicle in then shut the door so they can "work" without being disturbed. When they're done, they simply pull out with all their "treasures" and casually drive away.
    MM 211
    Lincoln AC-225
    --

Post Thanks / Like

Old Thai blacksmith I worked with used a sledgehammer head for an anvil. Had it inset into a 2,000 pound hardwood log.
    "USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250, Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    Firepower TIG 160S (gave the TA 161 STL to the son)
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches
    Miller spot welder

Post Thanks / Like

Thought I would resurrect this thread and add some of the "improvements" I made to my grinder stand. Improvements is in quotes 'cause they didn't all work out the way I wanted! Original build is back a couple pages.

Original stand had a 6 inch Princess Auto grinder that was ok but not good. I made the mounting plate oversize for the 6 inch thinking I might upgrade someday. Upgraded to an 8 inch DeWalt and it fit the plate just fine, didn't even have to drill new holes. Its sufficient for what I need but it is no Baldor.

Name:  DSC03328.jpg
Views: 1084
Size:  26.8 KB

Next improvement was a piece of flatbar at the back end to keep the whole unit from flopping sideways until it was resting on the wheels. It works fine but is a bit too wide, any material stickout past the OD of the rim just means more lean back angle to move it around. I'll probably cut off the extra 1/2 inch or so.

Name:  DSC03330.JPG
Views: 1094
Size:  125.8 KB

The base is an old rim and has more than a couple bangs, dings and character marks. It never sat perfectly flat on the floor of the shop, there was always a slight rock no matter how I placed it. Split 3 pieces of heater hose and secured to rim with self tapping screws. The hose is soft enough to make up for any imperfections in the rim or floor, it sits steady now, no movement at all. In hindsight, I'd use some kind of epoxy or like material to fasten the hose. The screws are ok but there are some gaps that will just fill up with grinding dust.

Name:  DSC03331.JPG
Views: 1092
Size:  124.2 KB

And the handle. The original was way too low to be of any use so added a 15M rebar extension. It works fine.

Name:  DSC03329.jpg
Views: 1083
Size:  38.5 KB

So that's it for this round, there may be more. Someone on here said something like "you get your best idea after the last weld is complete". How true!
    Paul

Miller Thunderbolt XL
    Praxair O/A
    Other stuff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NorOnt View Post
    Thought I would resurrect this thread and add some of the "improvements" I made to my grinder stand. Improvements is in quotes 'cause they didn't all work out the way I wanted! Original build is back a couple pages.

Original stand had a 6 inch Princess Auto grinder that was ok but not good. I made the mounting plate oversize for the 6 inch thinking I might upgrade someday. Upgraded to an 8 inch DeWalt and it fit the plate just fine, didn't even have to drill new holes. Its sufficient for what I need but it is no Baldor.

Name:  DSC03328.jpg
Views: 1084
Size:  26.8 KB

Next improvement was a piece of flatbar at the back end to keep the whole unit from flopping sideways until it was resting on the wheels. It works fine but is a bit too wide, any material stickout past the OD of the rim just means more lean back angle to move it around. I'll probably cut off the extra 1/2 inch or so.

Name:  DSC03330.JPG
Views: 1094
Size:  125.8 KB

The base is an old rim and has more than a couple bangs, dings and character marks. It never sat perfectly flat on the floor of the shop, there was always a slight rock no matter how I placed it. Split 3 pieces of heater hose and secured to rim with self tapping screws. The hose is soft enough to make up for any imperfections in the rim or floor, it sits steady now, no movement at all. In hindsight, I'd use some kind of epoxy or like material to fasten the hose. The screws are ok but there are some gaps that will just fill up with grinding dust.

Name:  DSC03331.JPG
Views: 1092
Size:  124.2 KB

And the handle. The original was way too low to be of any use so added a 15M rebar extension. It works fine.

Name:  DSC03329.jpg
Views: 1083
Size:  38.5 KB

So that's it for this round, there may be more. Someone on here said something like "you get your best idea after the last weld is complete". How true!
    Looks good. How do you like that dewalt 8" grinder? They seem to be priced very reasonable.

Post Thanks / Like

go to a junk yard or find a local repair shop that services trailers and semis. See if you can buy some junk brake drums from them. Beware they got some heft to them
    U.S. Combat Veteran O.I.F. II 2003-2005
    Airco Dipstick 160
    Airco Bumblebee 300
    Lincoln Idealarc
    Airco Mighty Mite 3

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    Looks good. How do you like that dewalt 8" grinder? They seem to be priced very reasonable.

So far, no complaints. Its smooth and doesn't bog down like the other one. Only used it a couple times though.
    Paul

Miller Thunderbolt XL
    Praxair O/A
    Other stuff

Post Thanks / Like

NorOnt> "Split 3 pieces of heater hose and secured to rim with self tapping screws. The hose is soft enough to make up for any imperfections in the rim or floor, it sits steady now, no movement at all. In hindsight, I'd use some kind of epoxy or like material to fasten the hose." Just the fix I need for one of my rim creations that has a lot of those character marks you mentioned making it wobbly!!!!
    MM 211
    Lincoln AC-225
    --

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist