+ Reply to Thread

Thread: breaker tripping

Post Thanks / Like

breaker tripping

my shop has a subpanel that is ran off of my dad's house's service panel. it has 6 gauge cable ran from a 20 amp breaker in his panel to the shop. it is probably 100-150 feet from one panel to the other. i have a 220 plug on a 20 amp breaker that i run my century 230 ac stick welder off of. i trip the breaker all the time. what size braker do i need and am i safe running the welder off of that 6 gauge cable ran that far. keep in mind my whole shop runs off that 6 guage cable.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: breaker tripping

Not a surprise the 20 amp breaker trips. Most of those 230v buzz box stick machines want a 50 amp breaker to run full out. Many guys get away running a 30 amp breaker (like a dryer circuit) and running at lower settings. I'm honestly surprised that you can accomplish anything with a 20 amp breaker.

If I remember right, 6g wire will run 50 amps for the whole shop. My concern would be if there is anything else in the run thats under rated, so thats why they tossed in the 20 amp breaker. If the set up would take it, I'd run the 50 amp in the main panel, then a seperate breaker in the sub panel for the machine, with breakers for lights, outlets etc. I'd probably run a 30 amp for the welder, simply to avoid overloading the 50 at the house and tripping everything at once. Thats not hard to do if you are running a fair number of lights ( the 2 or 3 twin 500 watt Halogen work lights are usually our biggest culprit working at night), add in the chop saw or grinder while some one welds at high amps and "Thar she blows!"

One of the sparkys will probably chime in and let you know if code will let you run a bigger breaker on the 6g or not. I can't remember what size you need for a 60 amp breaker right now.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what kind of wire you have but one of the most common is THHN which is actually good for 75 amps. 150 feet should not be an issue for voltage drop.
    Yes I can tack it for you. I know that won't hold but that is what you asked me to do.

Millermatic 350P XR Aluma-Pro push/pull
    Millermatic 185/spool gun
    Miller Dialarc 250 HF Water cooled
    Thermal Dynamics Plasma

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by got aluminum View Post
    Not sure what kind of wire you have but one of the most common is THHN which is actually good for 75 amps. 150 feet should not be an issue for voltage drop.
    my lincoln 125 welder trips the braker all the time! and its on a 20 amp

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the help. i will look at the cable to see what type it is. i work alone, so i don't have to worry about anybody turning anything on. the only other thing on while i am welding is my stereo and 6 t-12 fluorecent lights.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moneymaker17 View Post
    my lincoln 125 welder trips the braker all the time! and its on a 20 amp
    Is this a question?

If you run a Piece of equipment on a certain size breaker i.e. 20amp and it trips the breaker, it is clearly indicating the need to install a Bigger CB and wire accordingly.

I don't understand why you quoted Got Aluminum's post about the wire being able to handle 75amps.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    Is this a question?

If you run a Piece of equipment on a certain size breaker i.e. 20amp and it trips the breaker, it is clearly indicating the need to install a Bigger CB and wire accordingly.

I don't understand why you quoted Got Aluminum's post about the wire being able to handle 75amps.

Thanks for saying bigger CB abd wire accordingly. It is amazing how many people will put in a bigger breaker because it is tripping but not change the wire size. Here comes the fire.
    Yes I can tack it for you. I know that won't hold but that is what you asked me to do.

Millermatic 350P XR Aluma-Pro push/pull
    Millermatic 185/spool gun
    Miller Dialarc 250 HF Water cooled
    Thermal Dynamics Plasma

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist