Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: $0.73 PAKMASTER 100XL Repair

Post Thanks / Like

Re: $0.73 PAKMASTER 100XL Repair

My son "discovered" something interesting the other day when the 100xl started billowing smoke and shut down...

Apparently it will still slice through ~16ga steel like a champ even when the consumables have been in ~continuous use for an hour, and the orifice is shooting out at a 30 degree angle and is ~1/16" across, more or less. I guess he figure it would stop cutting then he would change the consumables... That plan Didn't Go Well..
    (He was slicing up an old car and assorted junk for disposal)

In his defense it was the first time he used it for more than 30 seconds.
    (You can get a lot done in 30 seconds @70A)

The elecrode was burned back almost flat ~3/16" when the pilot relay basically incinerated itself, and the only reason it shut down was apparently due to one of the contact legs in the relay melting off. , so the pilot and hence the unit would no longer work.

I'm thinking the higher voltage required to run the pilot (due to the shorter electrode and wasted nozzle) assisted it in forming the internal arc across the legs.

I can't actually find anything else wrong (aside from some singed wiring at the PCR, a carbonized spider or sawdust probably started an arc where it didn't belong between the hot legs of the relay.
    (seems to be good internal coating of sawdust, not quite sure how it got there, I recall blowing it out well when I got it)

One of the reasons I bought and kept this old bird is there isn't a single custom chip or CPU to be found, anywhere.
    Everything is either analog or CMOS logic, all through hole design.

I just need to make a note what all the capacitors are while I'm waiting for the replacement relay.
    Strangely it's cheaper to buy the TD part than the same PB contactor from Mouser.

Does anyone happen to know if the "pilot relay replacement kit" includes the clear vinyl dust boot it lives in?
    Last edited by waferhead; 02-01-2015 at 04:52 AM.
    1999 Synchrowave 250, Bernard cooler.
    TA 181i, US version, with TA 181i Euro connector, Euro on torch.
    Firepower spool gun w/Euro connector, modded to suit 181i
    Pressure controlled TIG amptrols.
    TD PacMaster 100XL plasma cutter

Post Thanks / Like

Guys,

I just joined in hopes that someone could help me with this machine. I bought a 100XL Plus and it's missing a CD board part......black box with fuse underneath shown on the first picture of this orig. post. Here's an image so you know what I mean, but would love some help if you're able to offer. Thanks, Adam
    Last edited by NYsignman; 04-07-2018 at 11:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  board.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  142.4 KB

Sorry, had issues attaching image. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone tell me what the missing part (circled in RED below) is/was so that I can see if there's a replacement out there...it was gone when I bought this and Airgas didn't give back to orig. owner, so it's gone. Thanks
    Last edited by NYsignman; 04-07-2018 at 03:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  attachment.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  138.0 KB

Post Thanks / Like

looks like some kind of fuse... maybe with other properties built in or just a plastic encased fuse....

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I assumed that also. I'm hoping someone can tell me exactly what it was and where to possibly get one. I emailed most everyone on Ebay today that had plasma/welding circuit boards also....no answer yet either. Thank you for your time. Adam

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I did a bit of searching around and didn't come up with anything for the pakmaster 100 unfortunately.... I haven't seen anything identical to that on stuff I have worked on yet, probably one of those things some engineer thought was perfect for the job... and they nixed it the next revision

could be a fuse with some sort of suppression or filtering built in or who knows what....

Post Thanks / Like

I'll have to look to be 100% but IIRC it's a set of HF points.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

Duane, I was hoping you'd chime in...thank you. Could you tell me anything about that part?....part numbers, etc.? I know yours was a 100XL, not Plus, but maybe they're the same? I've had Ebay guys offer to fix the board and may whined up doing that, but would like to exhaust my avenues trying to find it first.

Ronsii, thank you for your time.....I'm looking everywhere I can think of.

Anybody with a TD PakMaster 100XL Plus that could offer the part #, etc.....I'd really appreciate it!

Thank you
    Last edited by NYsignman; 04-08-2018 at 07:56 AM.