+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rebuilt Selector Switch M11013

Post Thanks / Like

Rebuilt Selector Switch M11013

Finally got around to rebuilding the selector switch on the 68 200 im rebuilding ... pictars!
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rebuilt Selector Switch M11013

more pictures.

The first is the only way i can actually keep track of how things go together.

Everything steel was primed and painted, Hardware was replaced with SS, the green is SPRAYON brand electrical insulating varnish, comparable to Glyptal minus the GE pricetag ($8 ea can as opposed to $40 ea can). Really good stuff ... I will continue to use this same brand.

For those that may be interested, and for the sake of later searches, i will add sizes and McMaster part numbers for what i used ...

92320A221 18-8 Stainless Steel Unthreaded Spacer, 5/16" Od, 7/8" Length, #10 Screw Size (4 ea)

91841A011 18-8 Stainless Steel Machine Screw Hex Nut, 10-24 Thread Size, 3/8" Width, 1/8" Height (1 pack of 100 / only need 4 ea)

98164A457 Type 316 Ss Button-head Socket Cap Screw, 10-24 Thread, 1-1/2" Long (1 pack of 25 / only need 4 ea)

90375A011 Type 316 Ss External-tooth Lock Washer, No. 10 Screw Size, 0.41" Od, 0.01"-0.03" Thick (1 pack of 10 / only need 4 ea)

7437K22 15-1/4 Oz Net Weight,green Insulating Varnish (2 / need maybe 1/5th of 1 can for this project)
    Last edited by AFFENDE; 09-06-2014 at 12:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you make a knew board?

Post Thanks / Like

The board is original. It was in good shape with no cracks so i opted to re-use it and just add a little varnish to it so it still looks good in 5 years.

The switch is easy to get to, and simple to rebuild so if i need to make a new board, i will use Delrin from Mcmaster and have one cut out on the laser at work or drilled on the CNC mill

Post Thanks / Like

For those that may be interested, and for the sake of later searches, i will add sizes and McMaster part numbers for what i used ...

92320A221 18-8 Stainless Steel Unthreaded Spacer, 5/16" Od, 7/8" Length, #10 Screw Size (4 ea)

91841A011 18-8 Stainless Steel Machine Screw Hex Nut, 10-24 Thread Size, 3/8" Width, 1/8" Height (1 pack of 100 / only need 4 ea)

98164A457 Type 316 Ss Button-head Socket Cap Screw, 10-24 Thread, 1-1/2" Long (1 pack of 25 / only need 4 ea)

90375A011 Type 316 Ss External-tooth Lock Washer, No. 10 Screw Size, 0.41" Od, 0.01"-0.03" Thick (1 pack of 10 / only need 4 ea)

7437K22 15-1/4 Oz Net Weight,green Insulating Varnish (2 / need maybe 1/5th of 1 can for this project)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 7A749 View Post
    Looks fantastic!!
    Thanks! I plan on using this machine for years to come so i am trying to overkill some stuff and really get it how i want it the first time.

Post Thanks / Like

WW member JAS did one with his grandfathers help on his SA 200 rebuild too. I believe he used fiber board for the plate. I think there could be a market for the four speed shorthood tap switch. They're hard to find used in good shape. I had one and I got like $200 for it.

If you have access to a laser and can create a program to clean cut it and use new copper fingers laser cut as well for the selection points, you could prolly make you some money with attention to detail and craftsmanship displayed in yours.

It looks factory man. Really nice job!!
    Thanks for the kind words. Compliments from people that know what they are talking about are absolutely priceless!!!

There is nothing worth more than doing a project with a loved family member ... That is something JAS and his Grandfather will never forget! I never got the chance to work on my great grandfathers truck with him .. though i do now have the truck.

I have access to the lasers for my own projects. It wouldn't be free, or even cheap if were to use them to rebuild / make new switches! Though the thought has crossed my mind plenty of times! We are a bit spoiled as we have a 2.5KW lights-out laser with a 4'x8' bed and auto material changer (turn it on with a full pallet of raw material when we leave, and come back int eh morning a full pallet of cut parts!) and a 4K laser with a 7'x20' bed with dual mobile bed (unload one bed while the other is cutting, then they swap etc).

working in a large fab shop helps a lot with little projects.

I might draw up this board and copper contacts in CAD just for a rainy day.

Post Thanks / Like

Job board and the SPRAYON insulating varnish ...

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you guys got a pretty cool setup. When I worked at Dart they were really cool on letting you do your own stuff on their machines. As long as you didn't get carried away, it was ok.

I really think if someone could produce the parts to build that four position selector switch without a lot of man hours in the fabrication, etc, it would be a money maker. Once the CAD setup was done, and you got a fixture made to set it up on to do the final tweaks, it would be cake.

I wish I had a chance to know my grandpa. He died two years before I was born. My dad's dad was gone long before that. Great that you got that truck

I've got the red version of that varnish. It's good stuff.
    Yeah ... the truck is worthless, 83 gmc c1500 fleetside longbed with an inline 6 and worn out 700r4 .... and its absolutely priceless!!!

This is the first time i have used the sprayon stuff ... and im glad i used it! Good Stuff!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist