+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ?? how to use acetylene tank while it's horizontal ??

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ?? how to use acetylene tank while it's horizontal ??

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post
    This started as a question, answered and explained by DSW. After that some of you want to make something else of my question, refer to me as stupid, or express your amusement of such. I don't have anyone say these type of things while physically present, nor seen much of it to others. I say the majority of you couldn't say what you wrote. Then I'm sure those big brave ones who would, cant, because your thousand miles away.
    Say what you will about the responses in the thread, but speaking in generalities can get you mopped up in range of your own pointing finger. (I seem to remember a comment you made)

I answered your questions and offered solutions to the problem. There's actually very few people who responded in the manner you speak of.

I'm not sure what your purposes are for staying with acetylene as a fuel gas, but if you are going to stay there, you'll have to keep the bottle standing up. If you can be open to other possibilities, you'll be able to accomplish the same thing you're looking to do with propylene or Propane. If you are concerned about the initial cost of purchasing an lp regulator, hoses and cutting tips, they will pay for themselves in the cost of gas. Propane cutting tips also are easier to clean and last a long time.

I hope this makes sense. Some of us ARE professionals and act accordingly.
    -Mike
    Teach Ag Mech - Mike

At Home:
    Lincoln Electric AC225
    Miller Challenger 172
    Gas Axe

Work:
    eclectic bunch of 90's vintage blue boxes

Post Thanks / Like

yes, you were the first to answer. I appreciate your response, along with some others. I just mentioned dsw because it was the most thorough answer before my question became jokeful for some. I appreciated your second post also in support to ignore the comments. Thank you teachagmech for your posts. I don't claim to be perfect or claim I haven't made any inappropriate remarks. I was going to quit when zapster said so, but it kept going, so I'm still responding. Thanks to those who tried to help, and no thanks to those who didn't. Those who didn't, please don't respond to any of my future posts. And I won't respond to yours.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm fairly new to this forum, but having a lot of experience from others I know a lot of the regulars/veterans of the forum tend to gang up and "joke" like a pack of hyenas.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your purpose for staying with acetylene?
    Teach Ag Mech - Mike

At Home:
    Lincoln Electric AC225
    Miller Challenger 172
    Gas Axe

Work:

Post Thanks / Like

I own all my own bottles, have a half a dozen victor torches, w/ oxy acet tips scattered everywhere I go. I have couple different trucks and trailers. I get my gases cheap, and usually on a barter from local fabrication shop. They don't use propane. If I were to start changing bottles and tips for one set up and different for another, and go to a separate outfit just to obtain propane, and remember to bring the right tips for the setup that I'm using, it would complicate matters. This way, everything is the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post
    I own all my own bottles, have a half a dozen victor torches, w/ oxy acet tips scattered everywhere I go. I have couple different trucks and trailers. I get my gases cheap, and usually on a barter from local fabrication shop. They don't use propane. If I were to start changing bottles and tips for one set up and different for another, and go to a separate outfit just to obtain propane, and remember to bring the right tips for the setup that I'm using, it would complicate matters. This way, everything is the same.
    Makes sense then. I figured there must have been a reasonable explanation.
    Teach Ag Mech - Mike

At Home:
    Lincoln Electric AC225
    Miller Challenger 172
    Gas Axe

Work:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mounce View Post
    ..... with acetylene you never use the full tank, well you might but it's dangerous. With the cost of the wasted acetylene after 4 bottles, you could've purchased 5 bottles of propylene. There's a formula to figure out how much to use out of it but my instructor taught us that a rule of thumb is to not use it if it's below 50psi and if you do, you risk pulling oxygen backwards through the torch and into the tank and then there's a risk of explosion. Once the acetylene gets low enough, it can't un-desolve from the acetone quick enough which causes negative pressure and then creates the back-flow.
    Has anyone else besides me never heard of this?

I've known of the risk of using acetylene at too high a volume according to the size of the tank.
    But have never heard of not being able to use up all the acetylene in a bottle without risk of the bottle blowing up. We always turned in our bottles with a little still left in them, but it was because we didn't want to run out when out on a job.
    Last edited by Reverser; 09-10-2014 at 10:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reverser View Post
    Has anyone else besides me never heard of this?

I've known of the risk of using acetylene at too high a volume according to the size of the tank.
    But have never heard of not being able to use up all the acetylene in a bottle without risk of the bottle blowing up. We always turned in our bottles with a little still left in them, but it was because we didn't want to run out when out on a job.
    You're not the only one.

I use back flow presenters and change bottles when the tank pressure drops below proper working pressure.
    Teach Ag Mech - Mike

At Home:
    Lincoln Electric AC225
    Miller Challenger 172
    Gas Axe

Work:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by teachagmech View Post
    You're not the only one.

I use back flow presenters and change bottles when the tank pressure drops below proper working pressure.
    That sounds much more reasonable.

Post Thanks / Like

I have read on several occasions of fires with the bottle on its side. Maybe coincidental and fire came about from something else I have no idea. You can run the bottle until your torch starts acting up.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    CRIME SCENES, COURT DATES, FUNERALS, RIDING THROUGH THE CITY WITH A BITCH THAT IS JUST BEAUTIFUL IT'S JUST BUSINESS AS USUAL.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist