+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 84 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Blacksmithing and forging

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blacksmithing and forging

By the way, I messed around with the copper today, this is a single piece of #2 solid wire slit two ways and hammered into a cross.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

Blowers aren't only for coal forges. A lot of larger gas furnaces like kilns and glass blowing furnaces use high volume blowers in the 50-75 CFM range. Many of the commercial blowers for forges I've seen are for Johnson GAs forges and run in about that range of output. With bituminous you should be fine on the lower end of the scale you found, but I don't have an exact figure to suggest to you. If anything it's always easier to turn down a fan that's slightly too large. You can't use air flow you don't have. If I had to take a blind stab, I'd look at 20-25 CFM myself, though that's probably still way more than you need. I don't have an easy way to check CFM from a shopvac.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Cross is nice. I may have to be on the lookout for some heavy wire to try a few myself. I bet they'd sell well at the fair.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

I got about 20 feet for free. As an electrical contractor I get a fair amount of scrap copper wire, bus bars, lugs etc. If you were here I'd give you some. Sad part is most bus material now is tin plated aluminum.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd have to do some digging, but I remember someone posting up on IFI that bus bars had something in them that made them a bad material for hot forging. I want to say beryllium.

My neighbor is a licensed electrician, so I may hit him up and see if he has anything solid in that size. I've also got a friend here who works for a company that does nonferous scrap. I'm sure he gets some in from time to time. I got about 16 lbs of scrap heavy copper flashing from him last month. PLan is this winter to play some with that and maybe make a few roses or copper dishes. I may have to ask him to keep an eye open for heavy gauge solid wire as well.

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Well I just took a crash course on forge blowers, seems pressure is the name of the game, a CFM rating in free air doesn't mean much.
    http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/4878...uch-is-needed/
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay I'm new to smithing and recently found a 4.5" jaw (100 #) post vice. It was missing the spring and mounting bracket which is apparently quite common. Other than that it only required dismantling, wire brushing and lube.

I replaced the original thrust washer on the adjusting screw with a bearing insert out of a pillow block I had sitting around. This allows for easier tightening and loosening of the jaws under pressure.

I'm certain the mod I did is old news, but I hadn't noticed any mention of it. My apologies if it has.

Terry
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Post Thanks / Like

A Good Day of Smithing

Went to a local Open Forge event today. The owner of this shop (Holy Hammer Iron works) Harold graciously gives his time and materials several times a year to host the events. Many who show up are AABA members and many are there to help beginners get started. This time I took my son and my 11 year old grandson. They made candle stick holders. The little one got his first burn today when he dropped his work on the floor on the way back to the forge and reached down to pick it up with his hands. I told him he was very lucky that he got that out of the way on his first smithing experience!

Here is Harold's shop, pics are of the inside shop and the outside shop. 2 coal forges, 2 propane, power hammer, shear, Ellis 1600, planisher, several presses, drill presses, tons of hand tools and a lineup of welders and OA.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

Here are some pics of my son and grandson working on their stuff, and a pic of some of the work
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

Great pics...nice to see the next generation getting involved. All the cheap junk in the market just might cause blacksmithing to make a comeback.
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

bigb> "Went to a local Open Forge event today." Sure does look like everyone attending had a really good time. I wonder if there are listings of Open Forge events by state somewhere?
    MM 211
    Smith Tru Lite O/A set, Thanks Bob!
    Lincoln AC-225
    --
    But you must not change one thing, one pebble, one grain of sand, until you know what good and evil will follow on that act. The world is in balance, in Equilibrium- Ursula K. Le Guin

Post Thanks / Like

bgb. Gotta love that top pic of your grandson 'goin at it'!

Terry

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
    . I wonder if there are listings of Open Forge events by state somewhere?
    Check here:

http://www.abana-chapter.com/

I joined the Arizona chapter (AABA) and I get the newsletters. It was only $35.

edit: I just checked some of those links and a lot of them seem to be broken, you'll probably have to locate the name of one near your area and just google it.
    Last edited by bigb; 12-07-2015 at 10:54 PM.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

Saw this on Craigs list tonight. Massive '' 640 '' pound anvil!! - $2100 (Milwaukee) http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/tls/5353314582.html
    Dimensions are as follows;

-height: 14.5"
    -overall length: 41"
    -face: 7"
    -footprint: 17" X 14.25"
    -hardie: 1.5"
    -pritchel: 7/8"

Attachment 1287381

Post Thanks / Like

I am going to try and make my first forge this week, here is the start. Any tips would be a big help..Name:  P1010045_01.JPG
Views: 829
Size:  139.5 KBName:  P1010046_01.jpg
Views: 820
Size:  33.2 KBName:  P1010044_01.JPG
Views: 806
Size:  144.1 KBName:  P1010047_01.JPG
Views: 813
Size:  146.7 KBName:  P1010049_01.JPG
Views: 819
Size:  143.9 KB

Post Thanks / Like

More pict. The last two pict are the wife's new cook top..Name:  P1010050_01.JPG
Views: 829
Size:  141.2 KBName:  P1010052_01.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  50.2 KBName:  P1010053_01.jpg
Views: 810
Size:  41.3 KB

Post Thanks / Like

That cook top looks neat, but if your wife cooks anything on the forge, you better be using charcoal!!

If you use coal, you'll have the blackest, dirtiest pot in the country, not to mention the grimy-est, foul-est tasting food anywhere!!!

Post Thanks / Like

That's hot, I may move this to it's own thread if your build discussion takes off, just to keep things simple here.

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

That's hot, Some more info on the size of your rotor ( diameter and depth) as well as what you plan to use as fuel would help. Charcoal needs a deeper fire than say coal/coke does, but a really large diameter with charcoal means you burn up a ton of fuel for little purpose.

If need be you can clay up the rotor to reduce it's volume.

Is the plate we are seeing going to be your grate, or is it just to attach your air piping?

A table around the rotor will allow you a place to have extra fuel. With coal that can be important as you move green coal in towards the fire, it automatically cokes. With Charcoal it will allow you to have a taller fire if need be.

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DSW View Post
    That's hot, Some more info on the size of your rotor ( diameter and depth) as well as what you plan to use as fuel would help. Charcoal needs a deeper fire than say coal/coke does, but a really large diameter with charcoal means you burn up a ton of fuel for little purpose.

Is the plate we are seeing going to be your grate, or is it just to attach your air piping?

A table around the rotor will allow you a place to have extra fuel. With coal that can be important as you move green coal in towards the fire, it automatically cokes. With Charcoal it will allow you to have a taller fire if need be.
    That is the plan at this point, I am going to cut out the center and get the flange for the bottom and the other parts today, ( tee, nipples ) For fuel I will use coal, and I will have wheels on the table to move it in and out side as needed.I will get you the size of the rotor and depth ect today. the center piece I had laying around and i just hit with a grinder a few min. and it just dropped right in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DSW View Post

The depth is 3", and the diameter is 8" 1/4" inside..

Post Thanks / Like

Lately I've seen some side draft forges, some of the guys in the local AABA swear by them. I've seen two that are built of solid adobe brick with a fire pan about 2 or 3 inches deep and the air fed in from the side. Spanish style, like this (very good book by the way):
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

I got her fired up today, and made the rod for the flapper. It turned out nice I think ( it works)..I punched the hole for a bolt for the flapper. Name:  Fire !!!!.JPG
Views: 724
Size:  140.1 KBName:  Beet it.JPG
Views: 697
Size:  145.4 KBName:  Punch that hole.JPG
Views: 990
Size:  146.3 KBName:  And the hole.JPG
Views: 1055
Size:  149.9 KBName:  Nice fire.JPG
Views: 766
Size:  148.4 KB

Post Thanks / Like

That will work nicely. Only thing I see that you might want to do is cut a slot or hole in the back, so you can pass long stock thru if you want to heat the middle of a bar, say for baskets in a spindle.

The repurposed grill should work nicely. You might add a few tool racks around the side/front to hold tongs, fire tools etc.

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Where exactly does the air come in? Looks like you are feeding it into the bottom but your pics show a solid bottom. And is that just a hair dryer?
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist