+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 84 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: Blacksmithing and forging

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blacksmithing and forging

Quote Originally Posted by bigb View Post
    Where exactly does the air come in? Looks like you are feeding it into the bottom but your pics show a solid bottom. And is that just a hair dryer?
    Yes the air does come in from the bottom, and all you need for an air is the 30 year old hair dryer.. here is a pict. from the back.Name:  back side.JPG
Views: 1073
Size:  145.2 KB

Post Thanks / Like

I assume you changed the weight/balance of the flapper you are using as an ash dump since that pict..

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I made the rod and punched the hole in the rod on my first fire. I was going to weld a rod on but using the forge to make it was the way to go..

Post Thanks / Like

Did you make a hole in the bottom of the fire pot or is there a gap around the plate you bolted into the bottom? Just trying to figure out how you get air to the coal with that solid bottom plate in there.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you make a hole in the bottom of the fire pot or is there a gap around the plate you bolted into the bottom? Just trying to figure out how you get air to the coal with that solid bottom plate in there.
    Yes I did cut a hole in the bottom for the fire pot, and it gets a lot of air with the dryer on low. It was just under 5 min. to get the rod nice and hot to beet on..

Post Thanks / Like

Pict. of the fire pot and flapper.Name:  P1010021_01.jpg
Views: 1045
Size:  41.1 KBName:  fire pot.jpg
Views: 1071
Size:  42.6 KBName:  P1010023_01.JPG
Views: 1047
Size:  138.0 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Well it looks like a nice build. I am thinking of making a smaller forge as my current one is pretty big and I don't need it so big with what I am doing on it. Did you burn coal on your first fire up? I know last weekend I was heating some 1/2" square that I had split on the saw and when that coal got really going I was getting the work piece bright orange in about a minute.
    Last edited by bigb; 12-19-2015 at 06:38 PM.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

Well it looks like a nice build. I am thinking of making a smaller forge as my current one is pretty big and I don't need it so big with what I am doing on it. Did you burn coal on your first fire up? I know last weekend I was heating some 1/2" square that I had split on the saw and when that coal got really going I was getting the work piece bright orange in about a minute.
    Yes I used coal, it was about 5min. and the rod I used ready. And the blower on low.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a few pics of the stand I built for my post vice. I filled a cast iron water pipe with 300# of concrete and four 3/4" bolts welded to angle iron framework embedded within.

Extremely stable, but can be rolled on edge or if needed to be moved any distance it can be picked up with forklift forks under the 3/8" tabletop.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Lis2323. That is a heck of a vise and table. Those are some interesting looking hammers too. Great use of storage for all your goodies. I love when a plan comes together.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    Those are some interesting looking hammers too.
    Those are top tools. They are held above the work and the tool is hit by a hammer. There is a very nice collection of them there. Starting from the right, I see 3 fullers, then 3 swages, then a hot cut, then a flatter and then what looks like it might be a handled punch or drift. Above is a nice selection of hardy tools as well.

So far I only have 2 or three top tools and I am working on increasing my stash when I can.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

thanks, I love a nice top on a tool !

Post Thanks / Like

Reading Weyger's book and came across this great idea which he calls a "Steady Rest".
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

Reading Weyger's book and came across this great idea which he calls a "Steady Rest".
    Hummmmmmmmm. I was going to stay out of the shop today.

Post Thanks / Like

The anvil stand is done.. I still have a lot of rebound..Name:  P1010004_01.JPG
Views: 874
Size:  144.8 KBName:  New stand 1.jpg
Views: 1263
Size:  28.1 KBName:  new stand3.jpg
Views: 1249
Size:  32.3 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Nice clean design. I like it!
    Is that 12" square tube? What did you fill it with? The handle is a nice touch too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Nice clean design. I like it!
    Is that 12" square tube? What did you fill it with? The handle is a nice touch too.
    It's 1/4", and is filled with sand.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thats Hot View Post
    It's 1/4", and is filled with sand.
    That's Cool, Thats Hot

Post Thanks / Like

A good friend had free time on the weekend and came over to play with the forge. Since I'm a total noob at this I welcomed the occasion.

We made a couple of gate hooks as the lesson involved drawing out, (started with 1/8"x2" shearings) hot cuts, forming eyes and math.

Made a couple of hold downs out of old tire irons also. They fit the Pritchard hole on the anvil as well as my weld and post vice tables. Couldn't make them "work" until we realized they only need a vertical "love tap to make them secure. The same tap (horizontal at the bend) is all that is needed to release.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452724693.016373.jpg
Views: 837
Size:  22.1 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452724724.583512.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  21.3 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452724748.376816.jpg
Views: 839
Size:  23.1 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452724783.548149.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  25.9 KB
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Nice..

Post Thanks / Like

I'm liking those tire iron hold-downs. They're the cats crap-cutter!

Post Thanks / Like

Tuyre Plate

Presently my home made forge has about a 1.25" Tuyre opening about 6 or 7" down from the hearth area. I have been using a 3" shower drain for a tuyre plate which places it about 1.5" above the funnel shaped fire pot. I noticed when the plate is open very little blower air is needed. My shop vac has no trouble pushing thru the ash and clinker that collects on top of the plate, but I find the air flow is too much. I built a blower with a small wheel and an air gate which worked great until the plate clogged up. Continually poking down to the plate to open it up was the only way to keep it hot enough. Also, the fire is down there pretty low which makes it difficult to get the work piece in there. I am thinking I should be using a larger plate, one that won't clog as easily. Also, a larger one, say 6 or 7 inches across, would raise the fire up about 3 more inches instead of it being down in the hole. I have some 1/4" plate, any idea how big to make the holes? Is it okay to have the clinker plate 4" or so above the tuyre?
    Last edited by bigb; 01-23-2016 at 11:43 PM.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm still recovering from sleep deprivation from the storm, so things are connecting as well as they should right now.

Post picts of your forge again ( or tell me where they were originally posted and I'll move them to your other thread on the fire pot to have them all together)

The problem with raising the grate up too high is that you'll spread out the air a lot and end up with a really big fire, if I am understanding what you want to do. When I can see the original picts ( too tired right now to go hunt them down honestly) I'll figure out what we need to do to get you set up right.

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DSW View Post
    I'm still recovering from sleep deprivation from the storm, so things are connecting as well as they should right now.

Post picts of your forge again ( or tell me where they were originally posted and I'll move them to your other thread on the fire pot to have them all together)

The problem with raising the grate up too high is that you'll spread out the air a lot and end up with a really big fire, if I am understanding what you want to do. When I can see the original picts ( too tired right now to go hunt them down honestly) I'll figure out what we need to do to get you set up right.
    After doing some research I think most of my problem was trying to keep too small of a fire. If I make a bigger fire it will put the sweet spot up where I can get to it easier. Also I have recoated the dirt/clay with refractory cement to stop the small debris from rolling down and clogging my grate. I have a lot of pea sized coal and coal dust at the bottom of my pan after breaking up the coal, that clogs the grate easily as well. What do you do with all that?
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

Added fork pockets for moving my propane forge around with the pallet jack. Used the opportunity to integrate some 'storage' features.

Here's a photo to perhaps inspire anyone looking for ideas...

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454292993.130593.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  41.0 KB

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist