+ Reply to Thread
Page 66 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast
Results 1,626 to 1,650 of 2076

Thread: Blacksmithing and forging

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blacksmithing and forging

I wonder; This is something I have followed for a long time. Was going to take a few classes in distant locations but then the whole C19 bs came into play and there were none available. I am wondering if this will change this year.

Wanting an anvil but they are far too expensive at this point. Will it be a year to learn or not? I can build a furnace if needed but would like and educators direction and teaching for the basics.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    I wonder; This is something I have followed for a long time. Was going to take a few classes in distant locations but then the whole C19 bs came into play and there were none available. I am wondering if this will change this year.

Wanting an anvil but they are far too expensive at this point. Will it be a year to learn or not? I can build a furnace if needed but would like and educators direction and teaching for the basics.
    The present is ALWAYS the right time to learn or do something new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

3. Likes Guardian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shortfuse View Post
    Of course, everyone knows that Easter eggs are laid by rabbits, silly......
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmm,,,

NOT anymore,,,,,,,,,, Oh, yea,, "Looks like the Easter Bunny won't be making it this year."

5. Likes Shootr, Bruce, N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To become a blacksmith, you must first learn that you need to strike while the iron's hot. As Lis2323 notes, if you wait for some far-off future to begin your journey, you will likely be waiting for a long time.

Anvils aren't too expensive. You don't need a big anvil, and even something like a 12# sledge hammer head will get you started. Remember, the greatest works of the "Dark Ages" were forged with the most pitiful tooling you could imagine. Vikings regularly used granite blocks for anvils, yet produced some of the finest weapons and armor of the period.

The Sutton Hoo Hoard is legendary, and every bit of it was made with naught more than you could find at your local Lowe's or Ace Hardware.

The Mastermyr Tool Chest gives you a very good example of what tooling from those days looked like, and none of it is particularly impressive. That didn't stop them from making ships that could cross the Great Oceans of the World!

If you want a good anvil that will get you started down the path, but don't want to break the bank, I highly recommend the Block Anvil. Akin to what the Vikings and other cultures used, these types of anvils offer you a ton of mass under the hammer, exactly where you need it to be, yet are light enough to move and easy on the wallet.

With one of these, you can forge the greatest weapons and armor imaginable, or all the tools you could ask for. You can build a castle, a sailing ship, or naught more than a hook to hang your hat on.

If you look around your area, you might be surprised at just how many wonderful anvils are out there.

Here, for example, is the worn down bit from a very large jackhammer/excavator type machine. You see these used in quarries to break up rocks and eventually they have to be replaced. It's such an incredibly tough alloy and ready-made to be your anvil. I've been hunting for one of these for years and would give my eye teeth to have one in the shop. One day I'll get lucky!

Here's what one looks like when all cleaned up and welded to a flange for stability.

As for training courses, do a search for "blacksmithing guild" in your state and you'll likely find plenty of places that are offering classes. If there isn't a school, there'll be individual smiths still plying their trade.

Amazingly, we're an obstinate bunch and some will likely not be at all worried about the Chicom Contagion.

7. Likes Lis2323, Bruce, Guardian, whtbaron, N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Have I mentioned how tickled I am to have a work space now? After nearly a year of collecting this and that with no real idea at the time how I would use it all, it's become a comfortable collection of portable, useful stuff.

Name:  20210403-084058-01.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  157.8 KB

Been getting a lot of inspiration from Pat's works as of late. I had an idea for this scrap piece I picked up a long time ago, and decided to see how it would come out.

Name:  20210403-084005-01.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  132.7 KB

Used every inch of the new forge, and then some:

Name:  20210403-093524-01.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  125.4 KB

I think it kind of looks like a swan. It's just sitting on that post - not sure how I want to finish it. I can weld a rebar to it to stick in the ground, or it can hang from the eye, or even leave it alone as it sits nice and level on it's own.

Name:  20210403-105835-01.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  53.3 KB

I like the gazing ball - I think it needs it. I also have a solid steel grinding ball but I think it's too monotone with that.

Name:  20210403-110011-01.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  57.3 KB
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS
    (3) Angle Grinders at the Ready
    Just a hobbyist trying to improve

Post Thanks / Like

As as rank an amateur that there can possibly be, I wholeheartedly agree with the others. Everything I've picked up, learned, and done in the past couple months was from nothing more than reading a lot, watching youtube videos, and participating in these forums. Anvil=homemade from scrap. Forge=Homemade from pics online and a $15 burner from Etsy. Tongs=Bought a 6 pack of DIY for $60 and made them myself for practice.

Every project is practice and a lesson. I don't kid myself that I'll ever figure this out but I do know it's the most fun hobby I've ever had. I hope it works out for you this year.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

10. Likes Bruce, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shootr View Post
    Have I mentioned how tickled I am to have a work space now? After nearly a year of collecting this and that with no real idea at the time how I would use it all, it's become a comfortable collection of portable, useful stuff.

I like the gazing ball - I think it needs it. I also have a solid steel grinding ball but I think it's too monotone with that.
    One option for a tool is to clean up or grind on one of the solid balls to give you a strong surface to work with for curves. You could get a piece of pipe that the ball sits in and basically have that piece on the ground Vaughn mentioned that is like a large demo tooth.

In regards to the piece you showed, I think it needs something in there to fill the void. I do not think a rusty grinding ball is the answer though.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    Arclight Dynamics 4x8 plasma table
    www.psacustomcreations.com

12. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I absolutely love coming across large/long tapers like that! Sure, we can cut them out ourselves, but it's always better to find some that have already been cut for you!!

Love the swan.

If you are half a mind to, you could replace the ball with a tall candle and change the whole thing up by the head/eye. I've seen that done before and it always looks nice. A bit of glass flue and a decorative drip tray would help fill some of the void in the body while making it "practical" instead of "art".

14. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shootr View Post

Name:  20210403-084058-01.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  157.8 KB

Been getting a lot of inspiration from Pat's works as of late. I had an idea for this scrap piece I picked up a long time ago, and decided to see how it would come out.

Name:  20210403-084005-01.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  132.7 KB

Used every inch of the new forge, and then some:

Name:  20210403-093524-01.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  125.4 KB

I think it kind of looks like a swan. It's just sitting on that post - not sure how I want to finish it. I can weld a rebar to it to stick in the ground, or it can hang from the eye, or even leave it alone as it sits nice and level on it's own.

Name:  20210403-105835-01.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  53.3 KB

Name:  20210403-110011-01.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  57.3 KB
    I love your quenching tank in the first picture.

16. Likes Shootr, N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arcflash View Post
    I love your quenching tank in the first picture.
    The idea may or may not have crossed my mind - briefly..
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

18. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The nice thing about the Trade is that no matter what the native tongue, we all speak blacksmithing.

While new to the youtube universe, this fellow is doing some nice work. This vid does a great job of showcasing just how much you can change the topography of the steel, the very thing that makes smithing so wonderful, imo.

20. Likes Bruce, Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes, it's the simplest thing in the world.

It's really easy to get caught up on having fancy tools and blind yourself to a solution that's genius in its simplicity.

I've always enjoyed Tall Ships and all their rigging so it was nice to see how they wrap an iron around a dead-eye - something that's bothered me for ages. I knew it had to be similar to putting a hoop on a barrel or getting the iron tire on a wagon's wheel, but that's as far as I ever got in my cogitating on the issue.

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-04-19 at 9.22.16 AM.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  57.1 KB

22. Likes whtbaron, Shootr, Bruce liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I know this wasn't forged, but I thought some of you guys into the artsy stuff might like the design. And besides, this thread has been too quiet lately...Name:  x930_n.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  24.5 KB
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

24. Likes N2 Welding, VaughnT, Bruce liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    I know this wasn't forged, but I thought some of you guys into the artsy stuff might like the design. And besides, this thread has been too quiet lately...Name:  x930_n.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  24.5 KB
    This was most likely forged....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

26. Likes Bruce, whtbaron, N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Never one to disappoint, the folks over at Cloverdale Forge in Canada have knocked out another genius design that I'd love to borrow from.

Several times here on WW, I've pointed out how the machine-made scrolls are very easy to tell apart from forged scrolls by their distinctive flat ends. Well, the folks at Cloverdale decided to take that one step further, and created something that shows just how huge a difference there is between what machines can do and what can be done by a competent blacksmith!

Name:  Cloverdale Scroll Display.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  181.5 KB

You just don't get much better than that!

I have no idea what their educational background is, but the folks at Cloverdale sure do knock out some fantastic designs.

This is why I constantly say we need to do our best. And, it just might be why I don't post more of my work.

Post Thanks / Like

lol... nice ACME anvil.... and that swage block hiding under the bench is interesting too...
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

29. Likes Bruce liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    lol... nice ACME anvil.... and that swage block hiding under the bench is interesting too...

:

31. Likes Bruce, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you're not watching Max Randolph's work, you're missing out. The guy's a genius.

33. Likes Bruce, Lis2323, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Vaughn, His work is on You-Tube?
    Bruce
    The Welding Chef
    Lincoln Weld-Pack 3200
    NORWELD Stick
    Stanford Hill Farm

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    His work is on You-Tube?
    Nope, sadly. He's the most unassuming guy and not at all interested in doing how-to videos. He hardly puts up any social media content at all, really, and nothing tutorial. The best you can hope for is the occasional post on Instagram, TikTok, Facebook, etc.

Of course, on the level he's working at... it's no wonder that he's not worried about building his brand or the like.

36. Likes Bruce liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A great video to show folks what can be done with not much. And, yes, I know there are a few dirty jokes in there somewhere!!

38. Likes Bruce, psacustomcreations, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Up to 6 members on my Locals page. Still not entirely sure what I'm doing with it, but it's fun and will only get bigger as time goes by.

https://threeriversforge.locals.com

I really need to get to tinkering with that video editing stuff. It'd be a lot easier if I didn't hate computers so much!

Post Thanks / Like

* up to SEVEN members

:

41. Likes VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Should be 8 now...

44. Likes Bruce, VaughnT liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist