Thread: SP-100 Gun Repair/Assembly Questions

Post Thanks / Like

Question SP-100 Gun Repair/Assembly Questions

Hello all,

I just purchased my first welder, an SP-100, which I'm very excited about. The price was right, but it needs some work. The gun/cable assembly is pretty much shot (previous owner had zip tied/hot glued the thing together -- which explains why it was sputtering like mad). I should probably just buy a new gun, but money is tight, I'm cheap, and I've never been one to shy away from fixing things.

I was wondering if those of you familiar with Lincoln guns could tell me (or send me a picture of the inside of a properly assembled gun/cable):

- how are the copper cables supposed to be attached at the gun and the connector at the welder? looks like there is supposed to be compression type fitting? could I solder the wires to the gun/connector?

- there are four or five plastic strands that run through the gun cable - what are these (strain relief?) and are they supposed to be attached to anything?

- is the gas hose supposed to be clamped at either end, or does the barbed fitting just hold it in place?

I attached some pictures of the fine mess I've gotten myself into so you can see what I'm dealing with.

Thanks in advance!

-JJ
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Re: SP-100 Gun Repair/Assembly Questions

Not that familar with Lincoln guns mostly use Tweco. Go with what you like or LWS keeps parts for. Manuals for it are free download from Lincoln entering your code number to get the correct manuals.

http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Cat...ualsearch.aspx

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Re: SP-100 Gun Repair/Assembly Questions

For anyone who's interested (or attempting something similar), I was able to fix the gun using some 1/2" brass tubing from the K&S Engineering section of the local hardware store.

Trimmed to length, slipped it over the copper cables and gas line, and wrestled it onto the gun/connector using some pliers. I crimped it a couple of times using a coaxial cable crimper on the gun end.

The gun looked like it'd been stepped on too many times, and was basically just a mass of broken plastic, hot glue, and zip ties -- so I went ahead and whittled myself a new gun out of a scrap of wood while I was at it.

I made a "strain relief" for connector at the welder end using some 1/2" ID automotive heater hose slipped over cable and connector. I wrapped the whole thing in friction tape and slapped a hose clamp on it for good measure.

While I can't say this is a recommended or ideal fix, it does seem to work. I laid an ugly-but-serviceable bead with it. (Ugly because I have zero welding skills, and was using a worn contact tip that's two sizes larger than the wire that I'm using. Which is flux core, to boot.)

Whoohoo! I'm ready to melt some metal!

Post Thanks / Like

Well that's pretty slick and ingenious on the new handle.

Would you believe me if I told you I was going to suggest the copper tubing option? I didn't as I thought someone that would know more about those guns would jump in with information or a source on an original type crimp ring.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

nice work!
    I've gotta admire your decision to attempt a repair rather than just biting the bullet and buying the "correct" parts.

Post Thanks / Like

remember flux core wire uses negative voltage to the gun.
    The worn out tip may have caused the liner to go bad. the coil liners are cheap.
    Put a new correct size line and new tip. it will weld better. set welder up using the chart on the door.