+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Swage for nesting 1/2" emt conduit

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Swage for nesting 1/2" emt conduit

I made the cones using the Autocad Extrusion tools at a 7 degree angle (at each 'side'.. times 2 = 14degs) The inner cone was 3" OD at the base of the cone, and the outer nest is 3.5" ID at the base of the cone shaped hole. No reason to use those numbers.. they just felt about right. .

Post Thanks / Like

it sounds more like the TLAR method, which often works quite well in matters such as this. (That Looks About Right)

What do you think will happen to the tubing as the cones are brought down or into it? Will the gaps become wedged with tubing or will it dimple inward as desired? I'm thinking the former, based on earlier posts in this topic.

If the inner bore of the cones had a ridge on each, centered lengthwise along the radius, it might dimple as desired, but it would make the production of the cones that much more complex.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fred_dot_u View Post
    What do you think will happen to the tubing as the cones are brought down or into it? Will the gaps become wedged with tubing or will it dimple inward as desired? I'm thinking the former, based on earlier posts in this topic.

If the inner bore of the cones had a ridge on each, centered lengthwise along the radius, it might dimple as desired, but it would make the production of the cones that much more complex.
    With the full diameter die you have to press, rotate, and press again. You won't have any dimpling like you see in the two part die because you'll get a more uniform shrink. Look at the examples that raptorduner posted. No need to dimple if you control the shrink.

Understand that the two part die works great and I've done hundreds of pieces with it. At nearly $4 per piece savings it has more than paid for itself. Of course I'm always looking to speed up production.

Zipzip, I got your email. Here's my rendition... solved the holding it all together with an o-ring... and keeping them separate with some rubber rod. Might have to machine some flats along the rod bores to provide some space for squish. Or maybe machine a shallow radius rather than drilling a hole. Often I crank out the drawings and then let the idea simmer for a few days.

I drew this a revolved boss... I find for turned work it's faster to visualized the profile... as I'm going to have to setup the machine using the profile anyway. Of course I extruded my cuts and such. I don't know if Acad does revolved surfaces.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

ForHire,
    I found your post when looking for 1/2" EMT swaged end pipes. I don't have the equipment to do the same as your steps, and only need about 12 pipes done.
    I'm about 90 miles north of you (in Bellevue). Would you be interested in making some that I could buy from you?

Post Thanks / Like

PM him. His name is Randy. He's a great guy to work with.
    There are no problems. There are only solutions. It's your duty to determine the right one.

Hobart Handler 210
    Airco 225 Amp MSM Stinger

Post Thanks / Like

I&I sling have a rotoswage maybe they can do it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dburrell67 View Post
    ForHire,
    I found your post when looking for 1/2" EMT swaged end pipes. I don't have the equipment to do the same as your steps, and only need about 12 pipes done. I'm about 90 miles north of you (in Bellevue). Would you be interested in making some that I could buy from you?
    Sure, I can make some. Sent PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ThorsHammer View Post
    PM him. His name is Randy. He's a great guy to work with.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by gxbxc View Post
    I&I sling have a rotoswage maybe they can do it
    I & I isn't local...

Farmtek stocks them in and 8' and 10' length for $6.49 and $8.05 respectively but the freight can double the price on a small order. That's why I started making it. I can buy the EMT a third of the swaged price.

Post Thanks / Like

The man who got me interested in metal working thirty plus years ago, made a conduit swager something like the drawing that "forhire" posted.The difference being that it was four pieces making up a diamond shape instead of a cone, and instead of a tapered die, he put the pressure on the diamond with matching V-blocks top and bottom.This allowed him to swage the ends of long pieces in his press, since the die was oriented horizontally.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tool Junkie View Post
    The man who got me interested in metal working thirty plus years ago, made a conduit swager something like the drawing that "forhire" posted.The difference being that it was four pieces making up a diamond shape instead of a cone, and instead of a tapered die, he put the pressure on the diamond with matching V-blocks top and bottom.This allowed him to swage the ends of long pieces in his press, since the die was oriented horizontally.
    It took me a while to wrap my head around the idea from the description but it makes perfect sense. Writing isn't my strong suit... I need pictures. I drew up the design minus the v-blocks for anyone who would like to visualize the idea. Was he able to swag in a single operation, or did he still need to turn it? I really like the design. I might have to build one.

Name:  diamond.jpg
Views: 1734
Size:  18.6 KB

Post Thanks / Like

I was wondering if anyone could decipher my description, but you got it just right.I only saw him use it once, many years ago, but I am pretty sure it was a one step process.

Post Thanks / Like

The hydraulic hose crimper seems like the best option to me if you can modify or order the correct size.
    There is also a hand ratchet style hose crimper for those of us that cant afford a hose press. But we are shooting for simplicity and speed here, scratch that idea.

How do the EMT manufacturers do it?
    Lincoln Power Mig 210MP MIG
    Lincoln Power Mig 350MP - MIG and Push-Pull
    Lincoln TIG 300-300
    Lincoln Hobby-Weld 110v Thanks JLAMES
    CK TIG TORCH, gas diffuser, pyrex cup
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
    My brain

Post Thanks / Like

I sometimes have to nest 1/2" conduit into 3/4" for seismics in drop ceilings. The seismics keep the ceiling from lifting during a quake. Most of the time the deck is less than 10 feet and nesting isnt necessary but some buildings the deck can be up to 35 feet. Also, in high seismic areas (California), nesting the conduit is required even if the deck is only 4 feet above ceiling. I use two TEK screws to hold the conduit together.

Your inventions are always clever forhire but the TEK screws are sometimes called out on plans.

Post Thanks / Like

forhire,
    I was able to get them on FarmTek, was $6.49 per 8 foot, and being it was 8 feet, it shipped regular UPS. Shipping for 12 pipes was $30

Great deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dburrell67 View Post
    forhire,
    I was able to get them on FarmTek, was $6.49 per 8 foot, and being it was 8 feet, it shipped regular UPS. Shipping for 12 pipes was $30

Great deal.
    Glad you got it sorted. Good to know the 8' lengths can come UPS. Thanks for the follow up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by forhire View Post
    Sure, I can make some. Sent PM.
    Thanks!
    I & I isn't local...
    Farmtek stocks them in and 8' and 10' length for $6.49 and $8.05 respectively but the freight can double the price on a small order. That's why I started making it. I can buy the EMT a third of the swaged price.
    forhire, would it still be possible to get one of those made for the 1/2" emt conduit?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all,

Using one of these:

Manual Benchtop Hydraulic jack air hose crimper - 1/4" to 5/16" - H10-4 ($184.99)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Manual-Bench...QAAOxygPtSwtJu

you can do this with 1/2" EMT:

Name:  EMT crimp.small.jpg
Views: 1874
Size:  32.4 KB

The hydraulic jack is marginal for the job and one can only do 0.65" sections at a time as shown in the photo. There is a 3/8" - 1/2" version of the same crimper available; may be more effective if it can crimp to a small enough diameter. One could also consider buying a used e.g. d100/165 series die set & making a compression ring, etc. but that's not as fun, challenging or elegant as the beautiful work that Forhire has done.

best,
    ______3M-10
    Last edited by 3m-10; 04-12-2016 at 02:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Loved your post. For you folks who need to join 1/2"EMT tubing see tubing connectors on my page: WWW.wezclips.com
    These handy connectors are 5" in length and swaged on both ends. If you ask really nicely I might also make some connectors for other sized tubing if I have the dies.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1307
Size:  36.0 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, this is resurrecting a four year old thread, which itself was woken up from 6 years earlier! But it's the best thread on the topic I've found with the google.

I was already to buy a few of Wezclips' connectors, but Wez seems to have folded shop

Quote Originally Posted by Wezclip View Post
    Loved your post. For you folks who need to join 1/2"EMT tubing see tubing connectors on my page: WWW.wezclips.com
    These handy connectors are 5" in length and swaged on both ends. If you ask really nicely I might also make some connectors for other sized tubing if I have the dies.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1307
Size:  36.0 KB
    I just thought of an alternative for the immediate purpose, which is mechanically splicing 1/2" EMT neatly without external connectors. The thought I had this afternoon and will try tomorrow is as follows, based on the observation that a water-tight fit and smooth interior is not particularly required.

1. The ID is abot .610, the OD is about .706, which is a circumference of 1.91 and 2.21 respectively, a difference of about .307.
    2. Cut out some 5-6" sections with a pipe cutter that will round the ends in. This will help later insertion.
    3. With an abrasive wheel, cut a longitudinal slots to remove a .310 - .333 chunk, leaving a C shaped profile.
    4. Bend in one side or the other so it is lower than the other, with a vise of impact tool.
    5. in a vise, crunch the lowered lip under the higher one, reducing the OD.
    6. Smooth the outside edge to taste.
    7. insert 1/2 length into pipe to be the "male", and secure with a self-tapping screw.

This will leave half the length sticking out.

Name:  conduit-splint.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  21.1 KB

There are details to work out about exactly how much to cut out, and how far to compress the opening. It may be desirable to leave it a little large, with spring action outwards for both insertions.

Attempt and pictures tomorrow.

-dB
    Last edited by dbrower; 01-03-2021 at 12:22 AM. Reason: add picture

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbrower View Post
    Yes, this is resurrecting a four year old thread, which itself was woken up from 6 years earlier! But it's the best thread on the topic I've found with the google.I was already to buy a few of Wezclips' connectors, but Wez seems to have folded shop...There are details to work out about exactly how much to cut out, and how far to compress the opening. It may be desirable to leave it a little large, with spring action outwards for both insertions.Attempt and pictures tomorrow.-dB
    It looks like it works.First attempt with single slot couldn't easily be made small enough, cutting out a larger section worked fine.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist