+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Welder advice for newbies

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welder advice for newbies

Quote Originally Posted by ConfusedSpouse View Post
    Hi,

I've scanned through this thread and understand about searching from other forums I'm in. Thing is, I don't know much at all about welders and really need some advise.

I want to get a welder for my husband for Christmas. He's got a project car and has said he would like a welder. He initially said a MIG welder and I'm looking at a Hobart Handler® 210MVP as per the advise of a friend who has one. Last week he found a three in one thing at Northern tools. When I pressed him, he said it has a plasma welder but with a TIG welder and he was looking for one with a MIG. The combo thing is 700.00ish, the MIG 900.00ish. He DID say he wanted one that worked off 220v. 900.00 is the outer edge of my budget.

ANY help, advise would be GREATLY appreciated!
    The Hobart 210MVP is a very nice machine and perfect for the home hobbyist. Plenty of power and the ability to work on 110v or 220v power.

If looking at an "all in one" machine on a budget, the new Thermal Arc 181 Fabricator will do mig, tig and stick.

http://victortechnologies.com/Therma...181i/index.php

I've seen them listed on line for about $800 for the base machine without the tig torch that can be added later. It doesn't have the top end power the Hobart does or the ability to be run on 110v power, but it does allow you to do stick and tig as well as mig.

Tough call between the two machines. A lot would really depend on his projects. Mig is definitely easier to learn. Stick ability would make up for the loss of top end mig power. Tig has it's uses for some projects. In my mind the scales are fairly evenly balanced.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Ken, I was thinking the combo thing sounded iffy. I'll get the Hobart now for sure!

Merry Christmas!

Mary <><

Post Thanks / Like

I've read many posts here and at other sites put up by people who are just beginning to learn to weld.

I tend to group them into two separate groups, this thread has some who seem to agree with this grouping even if the categories aren't called out.

First is a group that know little about welding but who's attitude is not suited to much learning at all, and they usually get a bit of 'welder's spatter' as a result.

The other group are those whose attitude seems much more conducive to learning and they seem to get encouraged, explained and folks take extra time with them.

One of the ways to see which camp you, as a learning welder, may fall into is the amount of effort you've spent reading the site?

I'd welded for plural thousands of hours of paid time and about that many more unpaid time when I first came to visit. The first thing I did was read the site. It took a while, but I found out many things I didn't know and I'd been in the trade for a while.

I tend to read posts of those who ask -after they've spent time reading the site. I tend to ignore those who ask without making any real effort to find out what's already been said on that or related topics?

Maybe this is too harsh, and I should be more tolerant of those with less experience? but I have been left with the opinion that of these two groups, only one is worth the effort to reply.

When I have welding problems, and I still do once in a while, I have learned to set up test array's or tables to find the problem. I think most experienced people do, even if my terms are not the same as other would use?

What I do is to set up a table of the variables, amperage, voltage, wire feed speed, stick out, gas flow, position of gas cup, travel speed, gas cup clearance, and so on. I don't change all these variable at one time or nobody can tell what made the improvement in the problem. By working through a logical table of events, as almost every single thread does here, I solve 99% of my problems. (physical limits may be identified but not necessarily overcome)

This type of approach; systematic, linear, sequential, and logical is exactly what I tend to respect in a poster and the opposite seems to hold with me too.

If someone isn't committed enough to the trade and its skills to set up a learning environment for themselves; why should I take time with that person?

On the other hand, when I read posts by someone who's taken time to do a little reading, and their questions are clarifications, advice based on a set of documented choices or similar refinement of information; I tend to respect that person's attitude and to try to take time to consider a reply.

I think this idea should be considered by new welders who would consider posting to ask questions here because they will likely get much more useful information if they've taken time to prepare to listen with 'ears to hear'.

Cheers,
    Kevin Morin
    Kenai, AK

Post Thanks / Like

i am a newbie and these advices are so good. its difficult to find the different topics about the advices and you all merge in this forum.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by newbie76 View Post
    What type of training should I be looking for for a career in pipe welding?
    Thanks
    Haha! Good one, Troll!

Post Thanks / Like

Lets wait what will be the impact till last month.i am hoping for the best from it.

Post Thanks / Like

After being away from welding (hobbiest only) for nearly 20 yrs I decided I needed to relearn what I once knew and try something new (TIG). I used to do a pretty good job of gas welding and so-so with stick. After a little practice, I am still pretty fair at gas welding, so-so at stick, and beginning to catch on at TIG. Anyway, what has really helped me improve drastically is a new helmet. I bought one of the auto-dark "big screen" jobs (Lincoln 3350). Now that I can see what I'm doing really well, its made a world of difference. At my age (71) I need all the advantages I can get. Not a plug for Lincoln, but if you're having trouble seeing like I did, try one of the new large screen helmets. I think you will really like it
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Well! I need to weld basic stuff little measure of steel Example might be a finger watch on a blade or minor repairs on a trailer and after that go from that point. Also at a certain temp? Additionally provided that one welding something and it left a dot and you grind it down might it compromise the weld?

Post Thanks / Like

Do the drive wheels correspond to the diameter of the wire? It should have an indication on the wheel.
    Brett
    http://www.bellinghamrailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all,

I made a two part video entitled "Dialing in your MIG Welder," a few months ago. I think it would help newbie MIG welders a lot.

Here are the links:

Hope it helps!
    Dan
    WeldFever
    __________________________________________________ ________
    Check out my latest welding videos at: www.YouTube.com/WeldFever

For videos, drawings, and welding discussions visit: www.WeldFever.com

Post Thanks / Like

What you forgot to mention, is that every pass you make on the same piece of steel in that short a period of time, increases the temp of the base metal, and also changes the heat needed and the wire speed needed for that same weld. Had you used multiple sample pieces the results may have been different.

Swanny

Post Thanks / Like

I need to learn all the theories of welding prior to taking the course if you can give me sites or anything to study that would be great. Also what kind of math is mostly used in welding?

Post Thanks / Like

Need help.

Just sold my thermal arc 211i fabricator. When the buyer got home he told me that it was broken so I asked what the problem was. He told me that when he pulls the trigger on the MIG gun that the wire comes out slow for three seconds then jumps up to the proper speed. Is there anything that needs to be adjusted? I don't feel like this is something that is broken.

I would greatly appreciate some advice about this?

Post Thanks / Like

Drive rollers are probably slipping on the wire. Tighten down the adjuster.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

My 181i did this when feeding a new roll through the liner, or whenever the circuit wasn't being completed. Maybe he was just checking his setting without welding.

Post Thanks / Like

Miller has their free Miller Education series online, lots of good resources there. Also check the Lincoln site.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Weldist View Post
    I need to learn all the theories of welding prior to taking the course if you can give me sites or anything to study that would be great. Also what kind of math is mostly used in welding?
    Lots of good books to read and sites to learn from but if it hasn't already been mentioned, check out www.weldingtipsandtricks.com .

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys, having read the threads listed in the first post as well as various ones across the site I've learned a lot! I figured I'd ask my questions here instead of making yet another 'I'm new here' thread.

First a little background: My name is Matt, and this fall I'll be going in to my senior year of college for my engineering (electrical) degree. In addition to EE stuff I do a lot, including working on cars and general handywork around the house (I worked construction for a few years as well). The thing that made me really want to get into welding is the ability to work on cars, in particular sheetmetal work - being in the northeast (rust everywhere), it would be very handy to be able to cut/patch sheet metal. There are also other small things I'd like to work on, including tubing (think exhaust stuff) but nothing major. Obviously I'll need a lot of practice in general before being able to even consider getting a good weld on sheetmetal anyways.

Here's where I'm stuck - while I primarily intend to work on smaller pieces, and can't really see much need to weld anything over 1/8", I value getting, as my dad put it, "The best you can afford at the time, so you only need to buy it once." - I've been strongly considering the Millermatic 140 (I have no issues with running a dedicated 20A or even 30A line, I've done plenty of residential electrical) but am somewhat worried that I'll outgrow it within a few years. I briefly looked at the Miller 211, but I really shouldn't be spending that much right now, being a student finances are fairly tight. Also, the detached garage which I'll be working in doesn't have a 240V feed and, as much as I'd like to, I don't think I'll be moving or building another garage soon and for various reasons I can't just run a 240V feed to it. To get the full benefit of the MM211 over the 140, I'd need that 240v line anyways, right? Watts are watts after all.

So in short, for automotive sheetmetal up through ~1/8" steel (no interest in welding aluminum now, really), for an absolute beginner (I watched someone weld once, that's about it), on a student's budget*, is the Millermatic 140 a good option? Naturally as I get closer to buying the equipment I'll be doing a lot more research into the process, etc.

*By student's budget, I mean I'd like to have no more than $750 into the machine, which leaves some money for a mask, gloves, jacket, gas, and wire. And I guess some sort of table.

Thanks guys!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all,

I've been hobby welding for 3 years now. I'm from Finland and we have long winter here so I had to figure out something useful to do during that time so I started welding. I repaired a forest trailer for my tractor last winter. (here's a link http://s1273.photobucket.com/user/Mi...rary/Patu%2070)

But now I took a new step forward. Actually more than a step. I used to weld with an old stick welder AGA Viking 180 and now I upgraded my welder and I'm looking for help with my beast. It's Kemppi Kempomig 5200SW with Kemppi FU30 wire feeder. A mig, stick with and option for tig and it's Liquid cooling and has 520Amps. It's WAY too big for my use, but since I got it for free (had to fix it a little but still) I think I'll use it. Problem is that it is old and all the markings on the front panel are gone. I'm desperately trying to find a manual for the machine or at least a photo of the front so that I can figure out how to set things right. Can anyone help me?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MiikaP View Post
    Hi all,

I'm desperately trying to find a manual for the machine or at least a photo of the front so that I can figure out how to set things right. Can anyone help me?
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Kemp...w=1360&bih=646

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MiikaP View Post
    Hi all,

I've been hobby welding for 3 years now. I'm from Finland and we have long winter here so I had to figure out something useful to do during that time so I started welding. I repaired a forest trailer for my tractor last winter. (here's a link http://s1273.photobucket.com/user/Mi...rary/Patu%2070)

But now I took a new step forward. Actually more than a step. I used to weld with an old stick welder AGA Viking 180 and now I upgraded my welder and I'm looking for help with my beast. It's Kemppi Kempomig 5200SW with Kemppi FU30 wire feeder. A mig, stick with and option for tig and it's Liquid cooling and has 520Amps. It's WAY too big for my use, but since I got it for free (had to fix it a little but still) I think I'll use it. Problem is that it is old and all the markings on the front panel are gone. I'm desperately trying to find a manual for the machine or at least a photo of the front so that I can figure out how to set things right. Can anyone help me?
    can't help you with a manual for your machine. i was looking at your trailer. by the look of it you're going to be hauling the whole flicking forest back to your shop or sawmill. nice job miika.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Post Thanks / Like

Miika,

Very nice work. Would you mind sharing some of the design details of the tow bar pivot? I am interested in the sleeve/pin metal type, size, and clearances used for the bearing.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AMillerUser View Post
    Miika,

Very nice work. Would you mind sharing some of the design details of the tow bar pivot? I am interested in the sleeve/pin metal type, size, and clearances used for the bearing.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Regards
    Desing details huh? Umm.. Just started welding and tried to mimic the old pivot as I built the thing. Sleeve is 250mm in diameter and pin is 60mm in diameter. Just plain old P235S. The bearing is brass. It had quite tight fit. On the top side and under i left 10mm clearances but made a plastic pieces 10mm thick on them. Plastic was Ertalon LFX polyamid plastic.

Miika

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MM54 View Post
    Hey guys, having read the threads listed in the first post as well as various ones across the site I've learned a lot! I figured I'd ask my questions here instead of making yet another 'I'm new here' thread.

First a little background: My name is Matt, and this fall I'll be going in to my senior year of college for my engineering (electrical) degree. In addition to EE stuff I do a lot, including working on cars and general handywork around the house (I worked construction for a few years as well). The thing that made me really want to get into welding is the ability to work on cars, in particular sheetmetal work - being in the northeast (rust everywhere), it would be very handy to be able to cut/patch sheet metal. There are also other small things I'd like to work on, including tubing (think exhaust stuff) but nothing major. Obviously I'll need a lot of practice in general before being able to even consider getting a good weld on sheetmetal anyways.

Here's where I'm stuck - while I primarily intend to work on smaller pieces, and can't really see much need to weld anything over 1/8", I value getting, as my dad put it, "The best you can afford at the time, so you only need to buy it once." - I've been strongly considering the Millermatic 140 (I have no issues with running a dedicated 20A or even 30A line, I've done plenty of residential electrical) but am somewhat worried that I'll outgrow it within a few years. I briefly looked at the Miller 211, but I really shouldn't be spending that much right now, being a student finances are fairly tight. Also, the detached garage which I'll be working in doesn't have a 240V feed and, as much as I'd like to, I don't think I'll be moving or building another garage soon and for various reasons I can't just run a 240V feed to it. To get the full benefit of the MM211 over the 140, I'd need that 240v line anyways, right? Watts are watts after all.

So in short, for automotive sheetmetal up through ~1/8" steel (no interest in welding aluminum now, really), for an absolute beginner (I watched someone weld once, that's about it), on a student's budget*, is the Millermatic 140 a good option? Naturally as I get closer to buying the equipment I'll be doing a lot more research into the process, etc.

*By student's budget, I mean I'd like to have no more than $750 into the machine, which leaves some money for a mask, gloves, jacket, gas, and wire. And I guess some sort of table.

Thanks guys!
    Noticed no replies to your post... You've probably got something by now but thought I would say something. I love Miller Welders but they are pricey. I have a few Millers but my mig is a cheapie HTP 120. Its suited me well for the last 10 yrs. but one thing I have learned that is important to share for anyone wanting a small welder to weld thin sheet metal is to get something that has a true Rheostat dial that will go down to close to zero on the power. I say this because mine is a 4 position dial and the lowest setting (position 1) is still too high for todays thinner automotive sheet metal. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Just read this, so it may be a litttle late, but:

I would say save up a little more and get the MM211. I have one and absolutely love it. I read your post and do what you do, but sometimes a project comes along that needs a little more juice (no pun intended-maybe).

The MM211 will run on the 110v that you have now, and in the future, when you get the 220v hooked up, just plug it in and go.

Listen to your Dad. You will be glad you have a little headroom for the future.
    Dynasty 200 DX
    MM 211
    Spectrum 375 X

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist