+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Welder advice for newbies

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welder advice for newbies

hi, i have a lincoln ar225 arc welder. what is the minimum rated generator can i use to give satisfactory results?

Post Thanks / Like

Surprised no answers yet.

Reading elsewhere it seems at least a 10KW is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    I would respectfully dissagree.
    While I think a 12kw machine will likely do the job, it's not overkill - 12000/240=50 amps

Lincoln says it will take a 15kw machine since the welders are not very efficient.

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us...ze-detail.aspx
    and
    Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    Generators are different from House/shop power in that the basic math/power formula doesn't hold up due to the generators size- even a 12kw genset.
    A 50 amp circuit on generator power is not the same as a 50amp circuit house power. Your house/shop power comes from a generator also- just a really really big one that doesn't notice a little 50amp Tombstone plugged in to it. The 12kw generator WILL notice the Tombstone plugged in when you light it up and strike and arc. Motor just doesn't have the ooompff required to maintain a steady speed and not hiccup.
    Last edited by newbury; 10-03-2014 at 01:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Guys, need some help! Looking to undertake some welding on a range of motorbike trailers. Came across these "Welding Positioners" from MG. Any advice please ladies and gents?

Post Thanks / Like

Great dude. Well done.
    Thanks to all.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the chart!

Post Thanks / Like

I use the same book, it is great isn't it! sometimes when i am in english or socials i put it into the socials textbook...

Post Thanks / Like

This is a reply to an old question about buying hubby a welder for Christmas, but if another lady wanders in asking again...the answer is the same way I buy clothes for ladies - intentionally buy the wrong one from a reputable business and overspend. He can then return it, buy exactly what he wants for prolly a little less, and take you to dinner on the difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Found that the fine folks over at Miller have just the thing to help us "new" guys out.

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...ion-guide.html

Seems like a great resource to me.
    EVERLAST POWERPLASMA 60S

LIN
    COLN ELECTRIC AC 225

VICTOR O/A set

Post Thanks / Like

Get a good multiprocess.
    I got the TA 211i and I love the thing.
    I also got the Jackson NexGen autodark helm and I love that too.
    Been learning to TIG mostly, but when I need to fall back on the stick it's there.
    Use the small half height bottles unless you really plan to do a lot of welding.

I got the TIG Pedal when I got the welder. I haven't quite figured that thing out yet. I haven't decided if it's just an On/Off foot switch or if really does back off on the power.
    If it does attenuate power it's not real sophisticated.
    Hey~!! It's a hobby. It's not supposed to make sense~!!

Post Thanks / Like

Great idea to put the chart in PDF .......... thanks !!
    Its what you learn, after you already know it all, that counts

Post Thanks / Like

I have yet to hold a welding rod or gun but I recently ordered a Lincoln POWER MIG® 210 MP Multi-Process Welder TIG One-Pak® - K4195-2.. Approximate delivery date is about mid Feb. I note that the Power Mig 210, when ordered by itself, does not come with the Tig adapter plug, for which there is a designated location under the cover. When one orders the Tig kit separately, the adaptor for the Amptrol pedal is included in the kit. I am told by the ordering agent this is the first time the K4195-2 package has been ordered into Canada. We don't know if the adapter plug comes installed or simply included in the box, for owner installation. Anybody know? Thanks, Allan

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Everybody...

I am interested in learning basic welding & gradually proceed to procure RED SEAL certificate & Journeyman Certificate as well..
    Please advise how should i go about to do this ?

Please correct me here...
    I can learn basic 1year welding course @ Mohawk College in Ontario.
    & then go Welding Apprenticeship program.
    OR
    If i can learn the Basic welding from NAIT@ Alberta,,, but they have 3 years Welding apprenticeship program.Where you must employed in welding JOB.

So i seek your guidance for good Institute in Alberta to start basic welding course & then move NAIT.

Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

I have never welded before and planning to buy a Miller Dynasty 210DX or a Dynasty 280DX, will it be an overkill ?

I want to weld 0.04" to 0.12" stainless steel and 0.04" to 0.12" aluminum.

Post Thanks / Like

Best advice I have for newbies is: read, read, read, and then read some more, and then keep reading, and when you're done, read even more. Eat sleep and read about welding, research, learn absorb. Don't ask questions until you have read a lot.

I've had young guys with no welding experience come to me for a job, and I told them, go to the library, get some welding books, and read. I'm not gonna waste my time teaching you something you can learn from a book. But they wouldn't do it, so I never hired them.

You can learn so much in a library, and with Google.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redonoin View Post
    I have never welded before and planning to buy a Miller Dynasty 210DX or a Dynasty 280DX, will it be an overkill ?

I want to weld 0.04" to 0.12" stainless steel and 0.04" to 0.12" aluminum.
    What do you think?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mule47 View Post
    I have yet to hold a welding rod or gun but I recently ordered a Lincoln POWER MIG® 210 MP Multi-Process Welder TIG One-Pak® - K4195-2.. Approximate delivery date is about mid Feb. I note that the Power Mig 210, when ordered by itself, does not come with the Tig adapter plug, for which there is a designated location under the cover. When one orders the Tig kit separately, the adaptor for the Amptrol pedal is included in the kit. I am told by the ordering agent this is the first time the K4195-2 package has been ordered into Canada. We don't know if the adapter plug comes installed or simply included in the box, for owner installation. Anybody know? Thanks, Allan
    Update - The 210 arrived on the 16th. The adapter for the TIG foot pedal came as an accessory - not installed. the directions are very good but there's not much room to fish the plug in, plug into the circuit board and get the plug in place to be screwed to the body. Wyatt Swaim did a Youtube video on the installation which was excellent and motivational in my doing my own installation.

Post Thanks / Like

the document is Excellent and i saved

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DSW View Post
    I thought this was a good idea, so I figured I'd kick it off with some links to a few threads I could dredge up of people asking about recommendations for a 1st welder. Most of mine deal with mig, if anyone can remember a few good ones on tig, stick or O/A add them as well.

Maybe we can get someone to write up a quick synopsis of processes and the pros and cons of each.

http://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43726

http://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43744

http://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43569

http://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=39087

http://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=37573

http://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=37226

http://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=31894

Maybe we can cut down on the repetitive "I'm new and need a welder..." questions. Yeah like thats going to happen!
    I definitely found this helpful. Good thinking guys.

Post Thanks / Like

It IS really helpful, thanks)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing these information and tips, I am an amateur welder myself and have just started out.

Post Thanks / Like

I am whatever category comes before "Newbie." Not only have I never welded anything, I've never (before now) had the least little desire or inclination to weld anything. There's a lot of good information in this thread about almost everything a "pre-noob" might want to know.

But I am the consummate cheapskate. I know how tempting it is to say "You get what you pay for." That's always an easy one-size-fits-all response and who knows, maybe the welding industry is the one industry on earth where that actually applies. I don't know. All I know is that in those areas where I do have some expertise, "You get what you pay for" is a pretty lazy and inaccurate statement.

I'm only interested in welding as it pertains to my other new found hobby . . . brewing beer. I want to build a brew stand out of 16 gauge 1.5" square steel tubing. That, as of this moment, is my only consideration where welding is concerned. I don't know if I'll like it, or want to continue, or get into welding weird space metals together or any of that - I'll cross the bridges when I come to them. For now, I want to weld 16 gauge steel together as cheaply as is humanly possible, with the most forgiving easy to use machine possible, to end up with the best and most structurally sound welds as possible.

My first consideration was between 110 vs 220, and after reading what I could find I kind of came to the conclusion I needed 220, which means installing a 220 outlet and breaker. But then on the machine I was leaning toward I read that it does great on metal 14 gauge on up, but it's almost impossible to weld anything thinner than 14 gauge with it - so now I'm back to wondering if a 110 machine is a better choice.

Anyway, I was also thinking flux core was my best option as far as the learning curve (and cost), but now I'm wondering if I can get a clean enough looking weld? The most recent machine that caught my eye is the Amico Power AWF-125e MIG 115V-125 Amp Welding Machine. It's like $140 brand new. If I decide after I build this stand that I don't like welding - I'm not out a lot of money. I could rent a welder, but it's like $75 a day to rent a small wire feed. If it takes me 2 days there's $150, (the price of the Amico 125e thing).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sremed View Post
    For now, I want to weld 16 gauge steel together as cheaply as is humanly possible, with the most forgiving easy to use machine possible, to end up with the best and most structurally sound welds as possible.
    ).

Cheaply as humanely possible + the most forgiving easy to use machine + end up with the best and most structurally sound weld = Asking a lot !

Sh!t welder = Sh!t welds typically
    Most forgiving easy to use machine = More money than $140 typically - Might score something on CL for cheap- Who knows
    Best and most structurally sound welds = decent machine in the hands of someone that knows what they are doing.

What you are trying to accomplish and your approach seems flawed.
    Maybe a seasoned pro will have better input. Im just a noob myself.
    When i grow up i want to be a welder

PRIMEWELD TIG225ACDCP
    Millermatic 215
    Everlast PowerPlasma 50
    oxy/ac
    Not enough talent to use any of it very well

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist