Thread: Coulda used a cnc plasma, but...

Post Thanks / Like

Coulda used a cnc plasma, but...

...I ain't got one. Had to lop off 3 feet from a full sheet (4' X 8') of 1/4" plate. Coulda used the hand held plasma, but, didn't leave meself the time. Awwwhhh!! Just get the torch. Had to dowse the smoldering bucket of trash, but nothing else got too badly burnt, as if it mattered...
    Anyway, I got a new top for my zero cost- shipping crate/ weld table. I had enough to overlay my wooden table at work as well, which is what the 3' was for. I figured it would be easier to handle at home without that 3 extra feet. I'll probably have to make another cut on top of my '73 cutting table. Yeah, coulda used that cnc plasma cutter.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    City of L.A. Structural; Manual & Semi-Automatic;
    "Surely there is a mine for silver, and a place where gold is refined. Iron is taken from the earth, and copper is smelted from ore."
    Job 28:1,2

Lincoln, Miller, Victor & ISV Bible

Danny

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coulda used a cnc plasma, but...

Quote Originally Posted by tanglediver View Post
    Yeah, coulda used that cnc plasma cutter.
    Or a 'good buddy' just down the street who has one!
    Rick V

1 Airco Heliwelder 3A/DDR
    3 CTC 70/90 amp Stick/Tig Inverters in Parallel
    1 Lincoln MIG PAK 15
    1 Oxy-Acet

Post Thanks / Like

Why would you need a plasma, let alone a cnc one? Just learn to cut with a torch and clamp something down to the plate and drag it along. It would look as good as if a plasma did it.

Post Thanks / Like

You're right, a straight edge should have been used. I crammed this into my schedule at the last minute of the day yesterday. Now I get to pay the piper (in grinding).

I should be ashamed for not grabbing a chunk of straight edge. It takes all of 2 minutes.

....or I can just dress up the edge with that straight edge and a pair of clamps!
    Last edited by tanglediver; 08-10-2010 at 11:18 PM.
    "Surely there is a mine for silver, and a place where gold is refined. Iron is taken from the earth, and copper is smelted from ore."

Danny

Post Thanks / Like

Can't you just cut another sliver off the piece, this time with a straightedge?

Post Thanks / Like

Why CNC? I think a track torch with a provision to hold your plasma torch would do just fine...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IrishBrewer View Post
    Can't you just cut another sliver off the piece, this time with a straightedge?
    Sure. That's what I meant in reply to Bob's post. Given the time, I can clean off the edge with another cut, using a straight edge as a guide.

Quote Originally Posted by greenbuggy
    Why CNC? I think a track torch with a provision to hold your plasma torch would do just fine...
    Track torch, same deal there, I ain't got one.

No big deal, I just got into a rush and made the rough cut with the little time I afforded myself. What I need now is to clean the surface. I got one DIRTY plate! The rough edge will be easy compared to cleaning the surface.

Danny