+ Reply to Thread

Thread: YARP: Yet another retireed programmer.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

YARP: Yet another retireed programmer.

Howdy,

I live 30 miles from silicon valley, and I've finally retired from the joys of creating works of art that you can neither touch nor see. To fill that creative urge I mess with gadgets, even creating one now and then.

I'm what is best described as a serial enthusiast. I will discover a skill or area of interest and research it deeply, learn the basics, become proficient and then ... run into another skill or interest to explore. As an example, I like fixing things, so I fix the doors. That led me to locksmithing. I got good at that, but some of the tools were downright expensive. That led me to getting a small mill to make tools for holding cylinders, making parts, etc. That introduced me to the world of machining. It dovetailed well with my flashlight fascination, and before long I was making custom parts for them. Of course, flashlights are cylinders and they need to be turned, so a lathe was next. See how it works?

Any woodworker can tell you that it's impractical to buy a tree trunk to make a bar stool. That's why they make glue. The same applies to machining. Welding is to machining as glue is to woodworking. It allows you to make bigger things from less metal.

Education wise, I've had a quick intro to gas welding / cutting and a similar one for MIG welding. I spend years in a job that required several hundred solder joints a day, so brazing and soldering is no big deal. I spent a weekend doing a 16 hour TIG course last month.

I have a small welder (sp100) and a decent TIG (Alphatig 200x) as well as a small oxy-propane brazing setup. I'm still learning TIG.

Dan

Post Thanks / Like

Re: YARP: Yet another retireed programmer.

Welcome, I'd you decide on a trip to SO CAL. For a weekend. Hit up one of our Weld-o-rama meets. See more details in the announcements section.
    If you need more help, I'm in the bay area occasionally if you want to meet up.
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.
    For Sale: Cobra Mig 250 w/ Push-pull gun. Lincoln Wirematic 250

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks southpaw. I'm in San Diego every few months. I might be able to arrange it to coincide with one of the the weld-o-rama meets. It's always fun and educational.

Dan

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome! Dan take a welding class at your community college. You will learn a lot faster. Tig welding is the most difficult welding process there is out there. I went to welding school in 1987 and I had a hard time with tig even though I could stick weld. There is no point in doing things the hard way. You may be retired, but you do want to waste your time teaching yourself tig. I am getting a tig machine, but I used to get PAID to tig weld. Otherwise, I would get a mig or stick machine. Just saying.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the warm welcome. It's appreciated.

The community college is a good idea. I tried to sign up but missed the registration date by a week or two. Classes are now full. The 16 hour TIG course I took last month at the industrial arts co-op was quite enlightening. I'm able to do decent lap, butt and filets with the TIG machine, but not too pretty yet. I practiced vertical up yesterday on 22 ga sheet and managed to complete about 15 inches of weld without burn through, pin holes or drips. Of course, it warped pretty well, but that was expected and I managed to minimize a lot of it.

I'll try to community college again next quarter, but I'll keep playing with it in the mean time.

Dan

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good that you took some tig courses. Keep practicing. I recommend that you go to your local steel supplier and get then to cut up some 11 or 10 gauge scrap into three inch by six or more inch pieces. They should charge around two dollars per pound and fifty cents per cut. I did this this week. Clean the metal with a grinder to the white metal and you will have some easy welding.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a good idea. I'll check it the local steel supplies.

I picked up an 8 inch sheet metal shear (shop fox) so I could make coupons. It maxes out around 16 gauge, but it's a quick and easy way to get consistent sizes with straight edges that are only slightly bent. A $10 6" x 24" 16 ga sheet has yielded 40 3x1 pieces. I have a band saw to cut down larger bar stock, but that's time consuming. The supply shop would be better for that.

In the mean time, the thinner stuff is teaching me consistency, heat control and patience. I need to learn patience a bit faster!

Dan

Coronado. CA across the bay from San Diego, CA
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard
    I offer three choices: Good, Fast, & Cheap. You may pick two.

Hobart AC/DC StikMate LX
    Harbor Freight AD Hood
    Harbor Freight Industrial Chop Saw
    DeVilbis 20 Gallon, 5 HP Compressor

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! I feel quite welcome.

Dan

Post Thanks / Like

Great to have you . There is a lot of helpful folks on the web.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist