Thread: Hello from California!

Post Thanks / Like

Hello from California!

Hi,
    I'm new here. I'd like to make a career change from construction to some type of welding. At this VERY early stage, I think I'd like to weld pipe. I realize that it will take a while (I've seen somebody write that it takes 'thousands of hours'?!) of course I will have to learn out of position plate welding first. Hopefully, if it only takes patience and LOTS of time (and lots of practice) I will eventually be able to do it. If not, I still want to do some type of welding. I think that I will stay away from GMAW as a career choice, it is too easy to be a career choice and probably too low pay (correct me if I'm wrong) But I may (eventually) buy one for hobby work. The welder I plan to buy (soon!) will be for TGAW/stick.
    I'm taking a community college beginning course now. We are trying SMAW, GMAW and next will be TGAW. We already had a 'day' on OAW (actually just cutting) We only get to weld from about 6:30 to 11:30, but everybody goes home at the latest at about 10:00 pm. We have a one hour lecture before going to the 'lab'.This is a one day a week class-from 5:30 to 11:30 Mondays (although I haven't seen it last to 11:00 yet!) I figure that I'll be about 60-65 if I continue to learn to weld at this 'pace', so I'm going to buy a welder. I've got my eye on some of the Everlast GMAW/SMAW welders now, hopefully I can get my questions answered from Everlast soon, and I'll order one. If I put ALL of my money together (and hope I don't lose my job/or get into a accident, etc) I could get one of the red/blue welders but I'm thinking of the Chinese welders at this point. I wouldn't know how to test a used red/blue welder anyway, if I ran into one at a reasonable price. And if it broke w/o a warranty (and me with no money) I'd be SOOL. I've heard that the red/blue welders use chinese parts anyway, so even if I decided to 'buy American'-I essentially wouldn't be.
    I'm thinking of getting into one of the Lincoln or similar schools that have you burning rod all day long so I don't have to start as a 'entry ' welder too. If I'm able to keep earning money at the rate I'm doing right now, I could afford it in a year or so. It would be nice if I could (with community college's help) learn plate welding on my own so I could go right to pipe welding.
    I guess that the above qualifies as a introduction, huh LOL? Or a autobiography? Anyway, hello and it's good to be 'here'!
    Richard A.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hello from California!

Welcome to the forum, Richard!
    Gravel

The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference.

Post Thanks / Like

have fun and enjoy what you are doing the atvantage is your in california you can go pick it up from the showroom in sanfrancisco and make sure that everything works right and see the people your dealing with wish i could aford miller or lincoln being a hobby welder i can't

this is one of my quotes "any one that after talking to you for 20 min says i'am not lying now it always make me want to say so you were lying up until now"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raxley View Post
    I've heard that the red/blue welders use chinese parts anyway, so even if I decided to 'buy American'-I essentially wouldn't be.
    It's not quite as simple as that Richard. Yes, the red and blue machines use components made overseas but there's the all critical matter of design/production specifications and Quality Control that set them apart from most machines that arrive in shipping containers but I won't go there as that topic has been beaten to death over and over here in the past.

Besides, I'm sure welders manufactured in China are known by the State of California to cause cancer.

So welcome to the forum.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

Richard, where are you from in this great people's Republic of kommifornia?
    Teach Ag Mech - Mike

At Home:
    Lincoln Electric AC225
    Miller Challenger 172
    Gas Axe

Work:
    eclectic bunch of 90's vintage blue boxes

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum
    Backed my CATMA over your CARMA oops clusmy me

What would SATAN do ??

Miller Trailblazer 302 AirPak
    Miller Digital Elite
    Optrel Welding Hat
    Arcair K4000
    Suitcase 12RC / 12 VS
    Hypertherm PM-45
    Rage 3 saw
    Rusty old Truck

Post Thanks / Like

You welcome to the forum and thanks for joining.

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck a pipeline welding job in CA!
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.
    For Sale: Cobra Mig 250 w/ Push-pull gun. Lincoln Wirematic 250