Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small Set Of Aluminum Driveway Gates

Post Thanks / Like

Small Set Of Aluminum Driveway Gates

I started these a while ago. I have just been working on them on the weekends or what is left of my weekend. And it is actually going pretty well. In order to get in some time of my own, I have been taking my Ipad Air into the basement with me and watching a movie while I cut, drill, countersink, counter bore, and thread.

Usually I just have a one track mind, and people could die if they get in my way when I am building something. But I really chilled out, while I did this project. Mostly because I did not want to make a mistake starting and stopping the project. It is amazing what a week will do to your memory. Or old age. Haha.

My friend wanted the most room he could get when the gates are open. So against my better judgment and recommendation, he wanted me to mount one side directly to the house. The reason you do not do this is because sometimes women have a tendency to drive into driveway gates, some men too. And if it is solidly anchored to the house, it makes a lot of work. But he said he is really not going to be driving through them. Rather occasionally storing a car or trailer behind the gates. So I designed one of the gates to mount on his house. One hinge mounts to the foundation, the other will mount on the side of the house, which is stucco over 3/4" tongue and groove, and wood framing. There is a beefed up area behind the hinge that was put there just for the gate. I will put some 1/2" double expansion anchors in the foundation. The other side already has a 4" square box tubing sticking out of the ground. The 5"x5" aluminum box tubing will sleeve over that.

The stucco and foundation are not level, about 1 1/4" difference.
    So one hinge has to be longer then the other. We might have to shim a little to get it right. Then we can set the other side that is mounted to the post to match the house side.

The post mounted side will not swing both ways, we want to optimize the amount of room between the post and the gate mounted to the house. So I made a different type of hinge, that will not protrude into the entrance. The gate when closed will cover the 5"x5" post. I counter bored for a socket cap stainless steel bolt, to penetrate the 4" deep hinge. I leave some space between the gate and the post so little kids do not get their fingers caught in the gate.

Now I just have to break it down and get it powder coated.

Name:  IMG_1633.jpg
Views: 1776
Size:  49.8 KBName:  IMG_1632.jpg
Views: 1772
Size:  41.6 KBName:  IMG_1639.jpg
Views: 1767
Size:  49.9 KBName:  IMG_1642.jpg
Views: 1769
Size:  52.2 KBName:  IMG_1645.jpg
Views: 1766
Size:  41.7 KB

Sincerely,

William McCormick

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Small Set Of Aluminum Driveway Gates

These are some pictures so you can get an idea of how the hinges mount.

Name:  IMG_1641.jpg
Views: 1731
Size:  30.5 KBName:  GateDrawing.jpg
Views: 1733
Size:  31.1 KB

Sincerely,

William McCormick

Post Thanks / Like

Inside the 5"x5" post there are two pieces of 3/8" thick aluminum, held with a rosebud weld, so I could drill and tap them.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice. A lot of work in those hinges. What will the centers of the doors be?
    Yeah, I know, but it'll be ok!

Lincoln Square wave 255
    Miller Vintage mig
    30a spoolgun
    Thermal Dynamics Pacmaster 100xl plasma
    Smith mc torch
    Ellis 1600 band saw

Post Thanks / Like

Just remembered I also have to stamp with numbers, the parts as I break them down, for powder coating. I do not like to deal with puzzles and the unknown when I get to the job site.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    Last edited by William McCormick; 10-19-2014 at 09:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by welderj View Post
    Very nice. A lot of work in those hinges. What will the centers of the doors be?
    It will be a chocolate brown standard plastic fencing. Either purchased that color or sprayed that color.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful hinges
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

http://www.farmersamm.com/

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a gate guy, but this seems like a problem to me: "The stucco and foundation are not level, about 1 1/4" difference.
    So one hinge has to be longer then the other. We might have to shim a little to get it right. Then we can set the other side that is mounted to the post to match the house side. ".

First, I think you mean plumb, not level. But if they are not plumb you will have 2 different radius's, and the gate will not operate correctly. Why not build it out so the two hinges are plumb to each other?
    Burt
    Hobart Handler 120

10FtDrillBit.com

Post Thanks / Like

The bottom hinge is longer then the top hinge, that means the pins will be plumb to one another even though they are sitting on different elevations, they will be level in terms of elevation off the wall of the house. But when we tighten the hinge plate to the house, I am sure we will get some compression. More then likely to level or plumb the gate we will need some 1/16" to 1/4" shims under the top or bottom hinge plate.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    Last edited by William McCormick; 10-21-2014 at 10:43 PM. Reason: I changed plump to plumb

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersamm View Post
    Beautiful hinges
    Thanks Sam. They take a bit of work. But they give you a unique look.

Name:  BeigeGates6[1].jpg
Views: 1333
Size:  85.6 KBName:  BeigeGates5.jpg
Views: 1329
Size:  61.2 KB

Post Thanks / Like

I dropped the gates off at the powder coater today. Along with all the parts, that I numbered to match the numbers I stamped on the gates. While I was there I saw this, it looked pretty wild so I got some pictures.

Name:  IMG1709.jpg
Views: 1213
Size:  90.6 KB

Name:  IMG1706.jpg
Views: 1205
Size:  90.8 KB

Name:  IMG1708.jpg
Views: 1223
Size:  70.5 KB

I thought it was really nice workmanship, for this day in age. Not even sure what kind of race or performance application it is for. Just looked cool.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

Post Thanks / Like

Those are beutiful hinges. I bet the customers where glad you they found you!thats a nice rear end looks likes its for a circuit car from how wide it looks. I wonder the thickness? Do you know?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    Those are beutiful hinges. I bet the customers where glad you they found you!thats a nice rear end looks likes its for a circuit car from how wide it looks. I wonder the thickness? Do you know?
    I do not know the exact thickness of the material. But it looked like pretty heavy plate welded together. I just had to get some pictures, in hopes someone else knew what I was looking at there.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like it would be used for drag racing or off-roading maybe?

Post Thanks / Like

I press bronze bushings into the hinges that get mounted to the post, or the house in this case, a 1/2" stainless steel pin will go through that and tie that to the gate. It does kind of seem like a lot of work and it is, and it isn't. If I have all my stuff to get it done, it goes well. If I am missing tools, cutters, custom extensions to hold the countersink, or materials, the job crashes. That is why I took my time on these. I was sure I was going to be short some materials tools and supplies. Plus I work crazy hours in the city, I have to travel almost four hours total each day. So I am not such a ball of energy when I get home. Sometimes. Ha-ha.

Name:  GateHinges.jpg
Views: 1071
Size:  81.9 KB

Sincerely,

William McCormick

Post Thanks / Like

I make my own Teflon washers with a 1 3/4" outside diameter, and I cut down large half inch stainless steel fender washers so they end up being 1 3/4" outside diameter. You need as much surface area as you can get to make it a smooth opening gate. It is just silent when you open it.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

Post Thanks / Like

I also run a 1/8" radius, corner round, router bit, over all the exposed edges, on the gate and pole. It just makes it look so much more finished. It kind of matches the fence look too. Plus it saves the powder coating from chipping off the sharp edge. I also cut two 3/4" round weep holes in the bottom of the gate. If I didn't, when winter comes it will just fill with water, freeze and expand the rectangle metal tube, almost into a round tube.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by balongdelossantos View Post
    When I pick up the gates, I will find out exactly what the rear end is for. The owner of the powder coat shop, stayed open a half hour past his normal closing hour and I had a lot of personal questions for him, about his family and cars. I knew he had to go so I did not really interrogate him ferociously about the rear.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

Post Thanks / Like

I welded up the drop bars, ground them and gave them a decent polish. I was supposed to go and insall the gates today but I was missing one piece of hardware. So I am going to try to get them done the day after Thanksgiving.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  62.6 KB

Views: 856
Size:  34.7 KB

Views: 861
Size:  35.4 KB

Views: 854
Size:  40.7 KB

Sincerely,

William McCormick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by balongdelossantos View Post
    They didn't know what the rear end was for. Ha-ha. They did it gloss black.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

Post Thanks / Like

We installed the gates today, it went well. Too cold for cement, so we brought our own heat and cured it minutes. They looked good and they worked well. My latest magnet system is working really well.

Name:  IMG_1817.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  66.3 KB

Name:  IMG_1816.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  57.1 KB

This is my friends house he has been working really hard to get it all in order. He is redoing everything.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

Post Thanks / Like

Looks really nice!!

Post Thanks / Like

The magnets are totally encapsulated in plastic. And super strong N42 magnets. They have a hole in them that is probably designed for a #8-24 or 32 TPI screw, but it will allow a #10-24 or 32 TPI screw to pass through, the head might stick up a little on the #10 screws. But you can countersink the thick plastic a little to make it flush. The hole is countersunk from both sides. I get them from K&J magnetics.

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/

Sincerely,

William McCormick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy's law View Post
    Looks really nice!!
    Thank You, they take a bit of work, but they will look and work like that for fifteen years or more. It was cold, thank God my boss let me take a space heater.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

Post Thanks / Like

Dang ...You do nice work
    Backed my CATMA over your CARMA oops clusmy me

What would SATAN do ??

Miller Trailblazer 302 AirPak
    Miller Digital Elite
    Optrel Welding Hat
    Arcair K4000
    Suitcase 12RC / 12 VS