Thread: Old (not new) in southeast Missouri- How do?!

Post Thanks / Like

Old (not new) in southeast Missouri- How do?!

Just found this forum when I googled a question about a welder I have. Glad to find another good resource for info and like minded craftsmen of the metals! Hope to come here often for help or to help others. I'm a retired union Ironworker (Local 396, St. Louis, Missouri), have been a welder for I guess about 35 years, and a welding instructor for the local for 4 of those years. My wife and I enrolled in a 2 year night welding/metallurgy class at the local community college about 30 years ago (when I realized that there was way more to learn than I could on any job). I just do small projects for friends and family these days. Anyway, after getting married unexpectedly while I was in college chasing a degree in hospital administration, I was finally talked into a job at a fabrication shop in Houston, Tx, and have been fascinated with all things welding ever since. It paid for raising my family, letting my wife stay home and raise our 3 kids, and allowed me to work in places that most people will never be allowed to see close up. My wife is a certified welder, and should I have ever died, she would have had an occupation that would have kept the family fed. She's a better tig and oxy-acet welder than I ever could have been, but since most of my work was stick and innershield wire welding, that's ok. And it's made it nice to have a spouse who can actually relate to what I did at work 75% of the time. (The other 25%, I was a connector). Nice to be here, folks!
    "When I rest, I rust" Old German proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Old (not new) in southeast Missouri- How do?!

Welcome bro!
    I hate being bi-polar it's awsome

My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum! Been here awhile myself, though not as active here as I used to be, I try to occassionally stick my head through the door and say hello. My dad was an Ironworker out of local #678 in Lake Charles,LA. (which is now closed) until his retirement. Though I never was officially a member, I did work several years out of that local as an apprentice and permit hand to help put myself through college and get employement experience until I could decide what I really wanted as a career. Most of my time was spent as a boltup hand with a few connecor stints thrown in here and there. I must admit, that those were some of the most memorable experiences of my life. I do miss them at times.
    A few of my toys !
    LinuxMint
    Manjaro

Miller Roughneck 2E
    Lincoln WeldPak 100
    HTP MTS 160
    Chicago Electric 80amp Inverter
    Victor O/A

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to have you.