Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TIG: Where do I go from here.

Post Thanks / Like

TIG: Where do I go from here.

So, I wanna get better at TIG. I wanna become "The man" at it. I can lay good welds on 5xxx aluminum, stainless, and carbon steel, 1g, 2g, and 3g. My employer has some specialty welder positions for welding inconel, HY 80, HY 100, and some titanium, 5xxx aluminum pipe. These are all welded to US military standards, so all welds must be virtually perfect. My problem is, how do I take it to the next level? Those metals are very expensive, and you can't just find them anywhere, nor will my company just let me screw around welding a superalloy like inconel. I feel kinda stuck. Any weld drills to get better at TIG or general advice would be great.

Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: TIG: Where do I go from here.

I'm no pro, so take this for a grain of salt. I'm led to believe that stainless steel (non Fe) is similar to inconel and hastelloy but the puddle is a bit more sluggish.

Post Thanks / Like

Some times you just have to pay to play. If you are a decent tig welder to begin with, and really want to move up to specialty alloys, a dedicated class at some place like Hobart or Lincoln may be worth looking into.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Use the internet like you just have and blow a lot of cash on material and machines.
    I hate being bi-polar it's awsome

My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys

Post Thanks / Like

gweah

Ask the 'in-house' welders that do the 'good work'
    how they: Broke on through to the other side.

Be open to all suggestions - especially those that
    are: outside of mere/pure welding practice.

Opus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gweah View Post
    So, I wanna get better at TIG. I wanna become "The man" at it. I can lay good welds on 5xxx aluminum, stainless, and carbon steel, 1g, 2g, and 3g. My employer has some specialty welder positions for welding inconel, HY 80, HY 100, and some titanium, 5xxx aluminum pipe. These are all welded to US military standards, so all welds must be virtually perfect. My problem is, how do I take it to the next level? Those metals are very expensive, and you can't just find them anywhere, nor will my company just let me screw around welding a superalloy like inconel. I feel kinda stuck. Any weld drills to get better at TIG or general advice would be great.
    1. What exactly are the AWS qualifications you pulled down at school?
    2. Do you drive?
    3. Do you have a Tig welder at home to practice on?
    4. Are you a student member of AWS?
    5. Are you aware that most Mil-Spec welding has been superceded by AWS governance?

Buy yourself a copy of Mil-STD-2219 on Amazon or ebay or somewhere cheap. Read it then buy the latest revision of AWS D17.1 from the AWS bookstore, as it superceded Mil-STD-2219. Cross reference between the two and learn baby, learn.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

You can download a free pdf of MIL-STD-2219 at www.everyspec.com

Back in the 80s and early 90s when I was doing quite a bit of production welding on aerospace parts for Military applications it was MIL-STD-1595A.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HT2-4956 View Post
    You can download a free pdf of MIL-STD-2219 at www.everyspec.com

Back in the 80s and early 90s when I was doing quite a bit of production welding on aerospace parts for Military applications it was MIL-STD-1595A.
    Good one!

Download 1595A also. It is the welder qualification spec specified in 2219.
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

listen brother i'm new here ,but straight up,,i am the man,i agree they are not the cheapest things to be practicing on,if you realy want to take it to the next level,,simple,bottom line you have to get educated my freind,,almost all trade schools rent out there booths,for testing upgrading,and general learning,i know that my trade school rents ,day to day ,or week to week,,ect,my point is ,the school has and supplies all you need,when it comes to any materials,machines,ectto practice watever ,procedures you want ,,,bottom line you'll probably have to into an up grade to certify any way ,gather up all the info,for wat ever it is you seek,take it to the company,,,most companies if they want you to certify in any ticket or procedure,they will pay for it ,they sen d you to school ,most companies ,you will stay on payroll,sighn you up you'll have plenty of material ,and tim e to learn these prcedures properly ,,,,,so ....want a shot at the tittle??...i'll be here..lol...best of luck to you brother ,,you can do it,,,to easy,,,,,mojo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    Good one!

Download 1595A also. It is the welder qualification spec specified in 2219.
    Back in the day when I was self employed and was getting into doing the welded assembly of aerospace parts I had to go to an office in the local Federal Building and print off all these various MIL SPECS and STDs from microfiche cards at .05 / page. The Internet has definetly made getting your hands on these things way easier.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mojorison View Post
    listen brother i'm new here ,but straight up,,i am the man,i agree they are not the cheapest things to be practicing on,if you realy want to take it to the next level,,simple,bottom line you have to get educated my freind,,almost all trade schools rent out there booths,for testing upgrading,and general learning,i know that my trade school rents ,day to day ,or week to week,,ect,my point is ,the school has and supplies all you need,when it comes to any materials,machines,ectto practice watever ,procedures you want ,,,bottom line you'll probably have to into an up grade to certify any way ,gather up all the info,for wat ever it is you seek,take it to the company,,,most companies if they want you to certify in any ticket or procedure,they will pay for it ,they sen d you to school ,most companies ,you will stay on payroll,sighn you up you'll have plenty of material ,and tim e to learn these prcedures properly ,,,,,so ....want a shot at the tittle??...i'll be here..lol...best of luck to you brother ,,you can do it,,,to easy,,,,,mojo
    Wow!!! Call me overly cynical but I'm already less than impressed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HT2-4956 View Post
    Wow!!! Call me overly cynical but I'm already less than impressed.
    I agree
    http://all-a-cart.com

Welding Cart Kits and accessories

Post Thanks / Like

zt step aside son "the man" is here

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe you should download those specs. There is a wealth of information in there that you may find interesting.

Otherwise your post is hard to take seriously.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Softail Rider View Post
    zt step aside son "the man" is here
    Would that be, "Mr Man"?

Post Thanks / Like

Take FieldRes for example

He's a little loony, but

If you watch his videos you will see he did what was suggested here

He took speciality courses at his local trade school

Then he went and bought supplies, Ti and inconel pipe - a length, an interpas temp and gas monitor Thousands of $ spent

then he practised, then he tested and got the tickets.

The reason they are top teir welders is they have speciality knowledge and experience that took time, effort and money to obtain.

Also agree, speak with the ones there that have that knowledge, maybe you can get some private training time, some scrap material, maybe your company pays for training...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZTFab View Post
    Would that be, "Mr Man"?
    Oh boy, here we go!

Are you a man ZT?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    Oh boy, here we go!

Are you a man ZT?
    A man, yes.

THE man, no.

Post Thanks / Like

listen brother i'm new here ,but straight up,,i am the man,

Cheers Andrew
    WIA 270amp Mig
    Transtig 200 AC/DC Tig/stick
    Hypertherm PM45

Post Thanks / Like

Man you really sound like a dlck.
    I hate being bi-polar it's awsome

My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FODFA View Post

Cheers Andrew
    hahahahah!!

Quote Originally Posted by weldermike View Post
    Man you really sound like a dlck.
    Sugarcoating things today bud?
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

"Discovery is to see what everybody else has seen, and to think what nobody else has thought" - Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, give him a chance to prove it.
    I wanna see what THE MAN welds.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12345678910 View Post
    Take FieldRes for example

He's a little loony, but If you watch his videos you will see he did what was suggested here

He took speciality courses at his local trade school

Then he went and bought supplies, Ti and inconel pipe - a length, an interpas temp and gas monitor Thousands of $ spent then he practised, then he tested and got the tickets.

The reason they are top teir welders is they have speciality knowledge and experience that took time, effort and money to obtain.

Also agree, speak with the ones there that have that knowledge, maybe you can get some private training time, some scrap material, maybe your company pays for training...

I was Travis' Welder Helper on a Job!

He was quite articulate and he could answer and explain every question I had about the Welding.

“Loony” he was not. Pretty normal guy actually.

In Canada, we have to go to school. We have to. We have to go to Welding school in order to be a Welder. In Alberta where Travis/Fieldres is from, it is 3 years. In another Province it may be 4 years.

Travis went to Nait in Alberta for 2 years and he did his 3rd year at another school, I can’t remember the name.

He went to a school named “GRB College of Welding” immediately after the 3 years of schooling at Nait.

I was talking about it with him because I wanted to be where he was and he said Since he got his B pressure ticket in January 2009 he has constantly been going to this GRB welding school

He was saying that Titanium costed $3600 for a 4 days course! But that’s like 3 days wage for him so I don’t think he really cares much.

Gotta pay to play I guess!