Thread: Check out my rack

Post Thanks / Like

Check out my rack

I had some down time this week, and here's what I did with it.

This is a two piece lumber rack for my truck bed. As an afterthought I welded a piece of galvanized Unistrut to the top of each one so that I can attach things like kayak carriers with spring nuts.
    (Is manganese poisoning the reason it burns when I pee?)

Anyway, there's also a small detachable section in the front that has it's own receiver under the front brush guard. It will allow me to move a few 20' sticks on occasion. It wasn't intended to be very heavy duty. The rear portion however, is pretty solid.

I also made some removable "J" carriers to hold kayaks.
    If I were to build another set, I'd bend a single piece of flat metal instead of all the hassle with the pipes.

Pictures are coming up here in a sec, but I've got a couple of questions:

I leaned these racks inwards 20 degrees to follow the contour of the cab for aerodynamics as well as aesthetics.
    What's the best way to cut a compound angle? I cut the vertical pieces at 20 degrees then measured the difference in length between one side of the cut and the other. (It was about a 1/2"). So I marked that on the support piece that I already cut at 45 degrees. Then I free handed it on the chop saw. , I've still got all my fingers, but there must be a better way.

Secondly, you'll notice a black square angle iron frame in one of the pictures. That goes around my truck bed because my truck didn't come with any stake pockets or any tie down points. The frame gives me something rigid to bolt through.
    Does anyone have a better idea for versatile rack/accessory solutions than what I've come up with?

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Check out my rack

Here's the rest.

Post Thanks / Like

err, nice racks

Post Thanks / Like

HundredaireSocialite,

I'm very curious.....
    1. What dimension tubing did you use for the kayak rack?
    2. Did you simply make the bends on a HF bender with the large 3.5 die?
    5. Did you fill them with sand to prevent kinking/crushing at the bend?

Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Now that's a nice, very well thought out and sturdy rack.
    MM350P/Python/Q300
    MM175/Q300
    DialarcHF

HTP MIG200
    PowCon300SM

Hypertherm380
    ThermalArc185
    Purox oa
    F350CrewCab4x4
    LoadNGo utilitybed
    Bobcat250
    XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic
    Suitcase12RC/Q300
    Suitcase8RC/Q400
    Passport/Q300

Smith op

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, pretty disappointed with the 'Title' of this thread...

I was REALLY hoping to see a 'Sweet Socialites Rack'.... bummer.
    (Still an nice RACK though !)

BTW, do you have a PIC of the front 'reciever attachment'? I'd like to make something like that for my Durango.

Cheers,
    Last edited by jman; 09-14-2010 at 12:03 PM.
    Miller Diversion 165
    120 amp Buzz Box
    Victor Oxy/Ace Oxy/LPG
    Smith "Little" Oxy/LPG
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    Lot's of Misc. tools n' crap....

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work - I might have to borrow a couple ideas from that when I make mine.
    Millermatic 135
    Syncrowave 250

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joedirt1966 View Post
    HundredaireSocialite,

I'm very curious.....
    1. What dimension tubing did you use for the kayak rack?
    2. Did you simply make the bends on a HF bender with the large 3.5 die?
    5. Did you fill them with sand to prevent kinking/crushing at the bend?

Thank you!
    Joe,

What I used is 5/8 od with 1/8 wall thickness. The back story here is that my elderly neighbor gave me a few thousand pounds of metal, mostly pipes of varying dimensions.
    So whenever I want to make something, I always think pipe first.

I tried to make them out of bigger pipes, but then I ran into kinking and crushing problems.
    The small pipe that I decided on didn't give me any trouble. I made the bend in the middle of the pipe on the HF bender with the large die.
    Then I clamped the U shape to my table, torched, and made the 4 remaining bends by hand.

I thought about trying to make some sort of a jig to keep everything straight and even, but it seemed like too much of a hassle for just two sets. Maybe if I ever have occasion to make more.

But I think if I didn't have so much free pipe, I'd make them out of 2" flat. It'd be quick and easy and you could drill holes for straps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Yeah, pretty disappointed with the 'Title' of this thread...

I was REALLY hoping to see a 'Sweet Socialites Rack'.... bummer.
    (Still an nice RACK though !)

BTW, do you have a PIC of the front 'reciever attachment'? I'd like to make something like that for my Durango.

Cheers,
    Haha, you should be thankful it's only pictures of the rack on my truck!

Anyway, here's a pic of the receiver. It's not very heavy duty, I don't plan on over loading it. I just thought it was a nice compliment to the two in the back. I've got a trailer when I need it but I usually don't buy more than a few pieces of anything at a time. So this should work fine for my needs. The receiver needs another bolt through it to keep it from pivoting but the way I feed the rack attachment through my brushguard doesn't allow for any movement anyway.

This part of the project was inspired by Jack Olsen's sweet Jeep rack.
    http://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=42108

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HundredaireSocialite View Post
    Secondly, you'll notice a black square angle iron frame in one of the pictures. That goes around my truck bed because my truck didn't come with any stake pockets or any tie down points. The frame gives me something rigid to bolt through.
    Does anyone have a better idea for versatile rack/accessory solutions than what I've come up with?

Thanks!
    What about Uni Strut on the inside of the bed, that way you could move your racks if needed. I have something similar in my frontier, and was actually planning on making rails like yours to hold a cargo box when I go camping or riding, or both.
    Last edited by AaronL; 09-14-2010 at 04:56 PM.
    There is no failure...only feedback

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HundredaireSocialite View Post
    Haha, you should be thankful it's only pictures of the rack on my truck!

Anyway, here's a pic of the receiver. It's not very heavy duty, I don't plan on over loading it. I just thought it was a nice compliment to the two in the back. I've got a trailer when I need it but I usually don't buy more than a few pieces of anything at a time. So this should work fine for my needs. The receiver needs another bolt through it to keep it from pivoting but the way I feed the rack attachment through my brushguard doesn't allow for any movement anyway.

This part of the project was inspired by Jack Olsen's sweet Jeep rack.
    http://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=42108

Ahh yes, I followed that one pretty good, but it didn't have the 'front setup' like yours... Speaking of the front setup, in that photo... Is that welded to a piece of angle and then attached to ?? I'm not good with Mechanics so I can't tell what part of the structure it is, although I would assume it's part of the frame or some type of support?

Cheers,
    Miller Diversion 165
    120 amp Buzz Box
    Victor Oxy/Ace Oxy/LPG
    Smith "Little" Oxy/LPG
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    Lot's of Misc. tools n' crap....

Post Thanks / Like

Great rack! I can see me building one of these in order to purchase full length metal without having to pay the cutting fees for hauling.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by captain belly View Post
    Great rack! I can see me building one of these in order to purchase full length metal without having to pay the cutting fees for hauling.
    Not so much the price of the cut sometimes as it is the cost of those short end sections left over when your material is pre-hacked to ten foot sections. All those short drops that hit the floor are money out of the bank.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome!
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job!
    Jason

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronL View Post
    What about Uni Strut on the inside of the bed, that way you could move your racks if needed. I have something similar in my frontier, and was actually planning on making rails like yours to hold a cargo box when I go camping or riding, or both.
    I'm liking the unistrut idea. I really wasn't familiar with it until I was half way through these racks. If I were to make a second set, I'd buy the deeper unistrut option, and use it for the top bars, instead of using the shallow option on top of the bar.

As for the bed, I think it would work great on the inside of the rail, but then my racks wouldn't fit anymore. I think I'm definitely going to work some of that stuff in there the next time I redo things back there.

It takes me 3 tries to get anything designed and built right, too bad I never find occasion to get past number 2!

I

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Ahh yes, I followed that one pretty good, but it didn't have the 'front setup' like yours... Speaking of the front setup, in that photo... Is that welded to a piece of angle and then attached to ?? I'm not good with Mechanics so I can't tell what part of the structure it is, although I would assume it's part of the frame or some type of support?

Cheers,
    Mine is just 1"x2" rectangular tube welded to a piece of 2" angle iron. There's really no mechanical ability necessary here. I bolted it on where my brushguard meets the frame. I'm sure your setup will be a little different depending on your specific vehicle. Just find something solid and out of the way and you'll be good to go. I came up with mine after looking at Jack's. His is different, but it was my starting point. Just remember to bolt in two places so that it can't pivot, or just weld it on depending on where you decide to stick it. I really should have done that before I put it up here.

Good luck and don't forget to take pictures!

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like what I need. I have a Rolling Lock cover on my Tundra and will have to fab. the brackets to fit over the rail/track. Thanks for posting this!