+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Jon boat / utility trailer

Post Thanks / Like

Jon boat / utility trailer

My plan was to have a true multi-purpose trailer. One that could haul my ATV / lawn mower, etc..... AND that could double as a Boat Trailer for a 14' Jon Boat.
    Simply put: I decided to build a Jon boat trailer with a 5'X8' bed.

this is the first trailer that I ever built (from the ground up). I went with 2" square tubing 3/16" thickness for the main frame and a couple cross members. Other cross members were 3/16" Angle. the tongue is 3" square tubing, and I put 3" Channel for the tongue-to- frame angles. Why such a heavy duty tongue? because the tongue is 6 feet long for cry'n out loud! Remember....this is also a Jon Boat trailer. I put a front gate that hinges down so that my Jon Boat will park over the tongue. When I want a utility trailer, I just close the gate. the extras include huge tie down rings welded around the frame, and RECEIVER HITCHES on both sides and back for plugging in my future inventions / accessories.....(fish cleaning table, spare tire holder, BBQ grill, clay pigeon thrower, double deck, foot steps, utility boxs, toilet seat, etc... you get the point........IT'S ENDLESS CRAZY FUN! SOMEBODY STOP ME!)

I put a treated plywood floor, submersible tail-lights, zinc hardware, and zerted hubs on this to make it water friendly.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jon boat / utility trailer

Excellent job. That's what I want to build out of the old trailer I have in my yard. But I need to find a good axle and spring set-up. Where did you get yours if you don't mind telling?

Looks great, Cam.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought my axle, springs, and hanger kits from a local farm store called "Orschelns" here in mid-missouri. I researched prices from many places before I found the quality and price that I wanted. I called trailer-sales lots, hardware stores, and searched on-line. It helped to find a place that actually sold trailers so that I could see the whole thing put together.

Post Thanks / Like

Very clean. Great job!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure glad to see someone else getting good use from a nice basic crackerbox machine. You'll be able to do just about anything with it.
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

http://www.farmersamm.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersamm View Post
    I'm sure glad to see someone else getting good use from a nice basic crackerbox machine. You'll be able to do just about anything with it.
    Just not in this project, the mig welder looks to be the one hooked up.

Nice trailer btw

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job. My neighbor just bought one around that size, you can feel the thing flex when you walk on it and the fenders have paint chips after 2 months.

Post Thanks / Like

For anyone looking for trailer kits like that one, check out utilitytrailerkit.com. Even with shipping costs, its hundreds cheaper than buying individually. I have built about 14 trailers with axle kits from these guys and they are great to deal with.
    UA Local 598

Post Thanks / Like

That's a nice trailer. It looks like a great job, it's perfect for your needs, and above all it comes with the satisfaction that you can only get from building your own.

That being said, I'm afraid to ask how much the whole thing cost.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HundredaireSocialite View Post
    That's a nice trailer. It looks like a great job, it's perfect for your needs, and above all it comes with the satisfaction that you can only get from building your own.

That being said, I'm afraid to ask how much the whole thing cost.
    More than a "store bought trailer"....... but you can't get a trailer at the store this well built with all the added features.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist