+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard Surfacing Rods

Post Thanks / Like

Hard Surfacing Rods

I'm using a 225 AC only stick machine and I occasionally hard surface agricultural shovels ( cultivators, deep tillers etc.) so they will last longer in our rocky clay soils, and yes, it makes a difference. In the past I have used 1/8" N700E's from Castolin Eutectic (honest, it's spelled that way) and 5/32 31's from Stoody. Don't ask me how they number these rods because I can't figure it out either. I prefer the N700E's, but the Stoody's have worked well too... they just seem to like more amps (usually around 170). I haven't bought any for a couple years and I don't remember the exact cost, but I remember thinking they were pretty pricey. Just wondering if anyone has a low cost source for some that work well. Thoughts?
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hard Surfacing Rods

I bet you have the same Sears AC stick welder as me.

I have seen some people use 8018, 9018 and 10018 electrode as hard facing rod.

I have used U.S. forge rods, on AC they ran a lot like 7014. I picked up 10 pounds of stoodys but have not had a chance to use them.
    The stoodys are pretty cheap compared to other hard face rods and I have been told that is what the farmers around here use and I know most all of them have old AC machines.
    old Miller spectrum 625
    Lincoln SP-135 T, CO2+0.025 wire
    Miller model 250 and WP-18V torch
    Craftsman 100amp AC/DC and WP-17V torch
    Century 115-004 HF arc stabilizer
    Home made 4 transformer spot welder
    Home made alternator welder

Post Thanks / Like

I ran the Stoody 5/32 size for several years topping 7014 on ground engaging tools at the mines. Good stuff and I was running about 180 amperes leaving a wide, smooth bead. I never purchased them as they were mandated and supplied by the mines.

I'm interested in cost also. Stoody is no longer around here that I know of.
    Slob

Purveyor of intimate unparalleled knowledge of nothing about everything.

Oh yeah, also an unabashed internet "Troll" too.....

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to use the Forney more than the Sears for jobs where I'm running a long time. For some reason the Sears likes to trip breakers moreso than the Forney, and the Forney is in the shed I use most for ag repairs. I did a Google search and Stoody are still listed on both the Praxair and Victor sites so they must still be out there. The ones I got came from a job site my brother was at so I'd have to do some calling to see who can get them out here. Some old Weldingweb threads came up as well, and they seem to have a decent reputation. I found the rods, but they say to call for prices. According to the site I can get them through Acklands... can't say that's sounding good for low prices. Should I be using my MIG instead? I've never seen anyone do it before so I never really thought about it. It would put a lot less heat into the shovels...
    Last edited by whtbaron; 11-09-2014 at 09:53 PM.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Do a Google search for Stoody rods and lots of hits will come up. Apparently, they are owned by Victor.

I use Stoody 31 to hardface just about anything on the farm that contacts the ground. Even used it on a neighbor's trencher teeth with excellent results...it was more of an impact application with the amount of rocks we have in the soil.

5/16" seems to run perfectly on 180A with my DC machine. Very smooth results with lots of smoke. Only problem is the rod starts to glow red about halfway through the stick. I just give it a rest for a while and then finish up the rod.

I have run the 31 on an AC-only Lincoln buzzbox and it seems to work just as well. A bit more popping and sputtering but overall the results were fine.
    Lincoln AC buzzbox
    Lincoln AC/DC buzzbox
    Hobart 125EZ (110V flux-core)
    Everlast PA200 (stick)
    Everlast PA300 (stick)
    Everlast PP70 (plasma cutter)
    O/A outfit
    Several Metabo, Bosch, HF grinders set up differently
    Misc tools

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    I tend to use the Forney more than the Sears for jobs where I'm running a long time. For some reason the Sears likes to trip breakers moreso than the Forney, and the Forney is in the shed I use most for ag repairs. I did a Google search and Stoody are still listed on both the Praxair and Victor sites so they must still be out there. The ones I got came from a job site my brother was at so I'd have to do some calling to see who can get them out here. Some old Weldingweb threads came up as well, and they seem to have a decent reputation. I found the rods, but they say to call for prices. According to the site I can get them through Acklands... can't say that's sounding good for low prices. Should I be using my MIG instead? I've never seen anyone do it before so I never really thought about it. It would put a lot less heat into the shovels...
    I tried to buy wire to hard surface. The best I found was a thirty pound roll of .035 gas shielded. It sticks in my mind it was somewhere between 2 and three hundred dollars. It wasn't the high manganese stuff that works well for build up of worn parts like crusher jaws.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used stainless rod for hard surface before. Probably not the best for impact stuff but it wears pretty well.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok... I was looking around and wasn't finding much. Thirty pounds might last me a few years, but the gas would probably add to the cost over what I'm already doing with the stick. I've got used to working on 2 or 3 shovels at a time and shifting around every 3 inches or so to avoid heating them too much. I'm also careful not to "drive" the heat down to the point or the entire pointed end will snap off. I've used the Stoody 31, and I see they also list a 35... am I using the right product for the job I am doing? Wouldn't stainless rod be more expensive?
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

I hard surface shovelers when I have time I use mig self shielded had some Hobart I think then got some lincoln I liked the lincoln better it takes more amps than you would think its .035 wire . I think it was like $300. For 25 pounds .
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 5066
Size:  145.7 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 5346
Size:  58.4 KB
    Here is what I do I also put some on the top point
    Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

If I remember correctly I used the "35" mostly as I was building up cutting edges and the "31" was used on impact based machinery like the pulverizing equipment.
    Slob

Post Thanks / Like

I run along the edge of the wings as pictured, and then run a single bead back from the tip top and bottom for about 1 1/2" ... seems to work ok.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Mckay also makes hardfacing rods...i have never priced them....i make the people i'm working for buy hardfacing rods
    Backed my CATMA over your CARMA oops clusmy me

What would SATAN do ??

Miller Trailblazer 302 AirPak
    Miller Digital Elite
    Optrel Welding Hat
    Arcair K4000
    Suitcase 12RC / 12 VS
    Hypertherm PM-45
    Rage 3 saw
    Rusty old Truck

Post Thanks / Like

lol...I'd complain to my boss, but I'm already tired of hearing complaints. Those N700E's are all I've seen stocked on the local shelves, so it's a bit of an eye opener to see what really is out there.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killdozerd11 View Post
    Mckay also makes hardfacing rods...i have never priced them....i make the people i'm working for buy hardfacing rods
    I have used McKay, and I like everything I've tried from them, especially their lo-hy. I still have some hardfacing rod of theirs. I'm pretty sure I have Hardalloy 32, 140 & 155, in various diameters.
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

Post Thanks / Like

So if I was looking for 1/8 or 5/32 rods for this job, which Mckay alloy would you suggest I price for this job? ...assuming I can get them around here.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

This is the stuff we run on all of the slopemaster pans and the excavator buckets at the state, I means its a little bit of a sticker shock but I've seen the pans break off and the excavators replaced before this stuff wore out. If the customer is paying, and you never want to see them again for that particular job, use Cronatron haha

http://www.lawsonproducts.com/Cronat...rode/CW1918.lp
    Miller Spoolmate 200 w/t S-52 Wirefeeder
    MM 211
    '09 Miller Trailblazer 302

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Duffin View Post
    This is the stuff we run on all of the slopemaster pans and the excavator buckets at the state, I means its a little bit of a sticker shock but I've seen the pans break off and the excavators replaced before this stuff wore out. If the customer is paying, and you never want to see them again for that particular job, use Cronatron haha

http://www.lawsonproducts.com/Cronat...rode/CW1918.lp
    Holy Moly masked man
    Backed my CATMA over your CARMA oops clusmy me

What would SATAN do ??

Miller Trailblazer 302 AirPak
    Miller Digital Elite
    Optrel Welding Hat
    Arcair K4000
    Suitcase 12RC / 12 VS
    Hypertherm PM-45
    Rage 3 saw
    Rusty old Truck

Post Thanks / Like

If it says Lawson , bend over. I'm sure its a good product but that's insane. Probably cheaper to replace parts instead of using that. I have used Lincoln and McKay with good luck. I have some large stainless rod that I got for cheap that works well for abrasion.

Post Thanks / Like

That makes the $300 MIG wire look cheap, and actually considering how long a 25lb roll of MIG wire lasts me, it might not be a bad alternative. To be honest, I haven't used the MIG enough yet to have a lot of confidence in it. Old habits die hard...A new set of shovels runs around $500 and I doubt that I can extend the life by more than a third.
    Last edited by whtbaron; 11-11-2014 at 10:26 AM.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/asset...ature/C110.pdf
    This will give you a listing. I find that special prices from "special" companies are rather high. Personally I don't trust snake oil salesmen.
    Lincoln also has a hardfacing guide that describes where to put your hardfacing. If I find it I will post link. It was available as a pdf file.
    With abrasive problems you want one side of an edge hard and the other side hard so that the soft side wears away leaving a knife edge. If you hardsurface all over the point just dulls and the cutting force goes up increasing required power and fuel consumption. Also hardfacing should go on cold. High amperages melt into the parent metal diluting the weld metal. Generally hardfacing beads should not look flat and pretty.

Post Thanks / Like

Im sure there is a cheaper place to buy the chronatron rod, i just haven't found it. as i said, i don't pay for it, the state buys it so price is no issue, maybe one of the 10lb boxes can fall off a truck and a few of those pounds can be shipped out!
    MM 211

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Duffin View Post
    Im sure there is a cheaper place to buy the chronatron rod, i just haven't found it. as i said, i don't pay for it, the state buys it so price is no issue, maybe one of the 10lb boxes can fall off a truck and a few of those pounds can be shipped out!
    Whaaat?! You do know who really pays for it and price IS an issue.
    Lincoln AC buzzbox
    Lincoln AC/DC buzzbox
    Hobart 125EZ (110V flux-core)
    Everlast PA200 (stick)
    Everlast PA300 (stick)
    Everlast PP70 (plasma cutter)
    O/A outfit
    Several Metabo, Bosch, HF grinders set up differently
    Misc tools

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GWD View Post
    Whaaat?! You do know who really pays for it and price IS an issue.
    considering they buy new tractors every year, at $100k a piece, x10 a year, for just my station, i think you guys can choke down $500 bucks for a box of rod x)

honestly, you guys dont even want to know what kind of silliness goes on on your dime, the $10,000 toilet seat saying isnt a joke x)
    MM 211

Post Thanks / Like

Was it hard surfaced with chronatron?
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Was it hard surfaced with chronatron?
    No it wasn't. The toilet seat in question was in the back of a Grumman E2C aircraft in the very seagoing squadron I was attached to. The then XO of the squadron was the "whistleblower" whom reported it and I myself testified to it amongst others.

We all wondered if we would have career's after that in the Navy. It turned out alright though.
    Slob

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist