+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 116 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: AHP Owners/Users Thread. No Trolling unless you have used/own one!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: AHP Owners/Users Thread. No Trolling unless you have used/own one!

Yep, its a complete unit. You can tell if its the newest installation by the knob orientation. First and second gen have 8 knobs, 4 to each "level" The newest unit has 9, 3x3 orientation. This is the one with frequency control.

Post Thanks / Like

I've only seen 2 points with one gap on the inverter style and 4 points with 2 gaps on the older transformer machines. My understanding from a discussion with Terry is these points only ignite to start the arc. After that, the HF is controlled or (simulated) completely electronically by the IBGT's

Yes it's the complete machine. Exactly like I bought over to your place. Only thing I would order (eBay) is a gas lens kit, esp as you have helium too. It the seller I have bought from several times has their own reg internet store too
    http://www.river-weld.com/ ordered stuff from them several times both eBay and store.
    Here is the adapter if you plan to add a water cooled torch
    http://www.riverweldstore.com/index....oducts_id=7713
    Last edited by soutthpaw; 12-06-2014 at 01:56 AM.
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.
    For Sale: Cobra Mig 250 w/ Push-pull gun. Lincoln Wirematic 250

Post Thanks / Like

soutthpaw> Ahhh…. thank you so very much for the clarification. Please understand my last reply in this thread was based on your initial PM to me in which you asked for my phone number and street address referencing a man named Oleg combined with this statement from an earlier post, “If you are able to arrange a local Welding Web meet, I'd be happy to work with you and see about getting a machine (maybe one of the AHP units we have now) sent your way.” Evidently, there truly was a little bit of wire crossing….
    --
    I truly believe if it’s reviews the company is going for…. it would be a win win situation for the AHP company owner if he gave a free demo TIG machine and some consumables to whoever this “Bub” member is that I ran across in another thread. The gentleman has 2 classes of 20 students each and is out there expending his personal resources dumpster diving to keep kids going in a program that is unconscionably underfunded with a budget that is so ridiculously low that…. the thought crossed my mind the school administrators want the kids in those welding classes failing so they can pull the program and route the funds elsewhere. This “Bud” is an extremely dedicated educator deserving of any breaks he can get IMHO. Again, please take a close look at post #14 here, http://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthread.php...amp-or-newbies.
    --
    * Guaranteed review from a professional weldor…. cost of one TIG machine
    * Potential revenue from future sales…. unlimited…. “Bub” and all 40 of his students plus word of mouth sales
    * Good Will associated with lending a helping hand to someone like a “Bub” treading water trying to keep an incredibly valuable program afloat for OUR children’s benefit…. PRICELESS
    --
    As for me…. this thread has been extremely enlightening. Many thanks to all those hosting weldoramas so little people like me can get a chance to trial machines we wouldn’t otherwise have access to.
    MM 211
    Smith Tru Lite O/A set, Thanks Bob!
    Lincoln AC-225
    --
    But you must not change one thing, one pebble, one grain of sand, until you know what good and evil will follow on that act. The world is in balance, in Equilibrium- Ursula K. Le Guin

Post Thanks / Like

Southpaw, thanks for the explanation for the points. If I understand, the two point system starts the hi frequency and IGBT's take over. In transformers, the 3 or 4 points are continually used for hi frequency? Also, thanks again for the Al electrodes. What polarity do I use? BTW, I cleaned up the garage, got light to the weld binch and I can dig up some Al if you can demo it again. Lets get an earlier start and I will order a pizza or something. I worked yesterday and will again today but will have time off later this week.

I have to say, I was impressed with your aluminum weld skills and use of balance on dirty Al to get decent welds. I believe you mentioned using a trick from Zapster for washing out crud on impossible to clean Al. It worked.

Post Thanks / Like

Equilibrium, unfortunately Bub's story is not unique. It's more the norm, when I was teaching 6 class of auto, metal and wood shop I had $1000 for the entire year. I tried everything to get donations from business and individuals but the power hungry admin refused any attempt I tried to develop donations of funds to the program.
    The education system has failed the vocational bound student. I contacted all the big name welding companies with huge marketing budgets to no avail. They are not interested in donating to some small program. So if these companies won't do it. Expecting some small mom and pop company on a very right profit margin to start giving away machines is a bit naive I'm afraid. I left the school because the superintendent had the entire board eating out of her had so there was no resource for me to challenge her for better funding our support of the program. Bing my wife taught there too, I could not make waves agree writing either for fear of reprisal against her. The students ultimately, were the ones who really got screwed. Before I started they had not have a voc teacher in a year and subsequently had a new one every year or two for basically the same reasons. I have real issues with working for stupid people.
    Last edited by soutthpaw; 12-07-2014 at 11:10 AM.
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Insaneride View Post
    Southpaw, thanks for the explanation for the points. If I understand, the two point system starts the hi frequency and IGBT's take over. In transformers, the 3 or 4 points are continually used for hi frequency? Also, thanks again for the Al electrodes. What polarity do I use? BTW, I cleaned up the garage, got light to the weld binch and I can dig up some Al if you can demo it again. Lets get an earlier start and I will order a pizza or something. I worked yesterday and will again today but will have time off later this week.

I have to say, I was impressed with your aluminum weld skills and use of balance on dirty Al to get decent welds. I believe you mentioned using a trick from Zapster for washing out crud on impossible to clean Al. It worked.
    The aluminum rods run on DC+ but you can try AC too. I got a box of Aluminum scraps that Terry gave me that we can weld on too. Email or PM me and we can set something up. Pizza Yes, transformer machines run the points continuously when welding AC HF. One reason they are much bigger.

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone ran a stic in A/C mode on these? Fron what I gathered, it didnt work. But if it does, sweet! Id also assume to run dcep rods to switch the leads around on the panel, but with a manual with about ziltch info I wasnt sure if the machince could or would handle it.

Post Thanks / Like

So is there a discount you guys are using for welding web? I see 700.00

Post Thanks / Like

That is the old price.

$650 for the 2014 model and $800 for the 2015.

The 2014 used to be $700.
    From the desk of Kevin Caron
    Trying to be the best me I can!
    www.kevincaron.com

AHP Alpha Tig 200x
    MillerMatic 251
    Miller Syncrowave 200

Post Thanks / Like

got my machine, definitely built well big step up from airco 160 and for $650 bucks can't beat.now just need to practice and practice to get my welds to look nice

Moe

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats!
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

So a quick update, I'm at Terry's shop right now, we set up the AHP. I just ran it on DC with 100% helium and some 3/8" plate, Was at about 120-130 amps running the beads. It does start on helium relatively well and does hold the arc fine once started. Only did a quick wire brush. The arc looks quite different with helium so need to get used to seeing the haze and helium puddle. Also really needs to be much cleaner. But pics anyway.
    It's also safe to say that the torch will get too hot to hold before hitting the duty cycle (which we didn't) on this machine.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1088
Size:  113.6 KB
    Just a couple welders, big hammers, grinders, and torches.
    Work will free you.
    Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
    Trump/Carson 2016-2024

Post Thanks / Like

Yea, I cant recall the advertized duty cycle, but I have yet to trip it at all. Highest Ive driven it is 150-160 Amps on A/C, approx 60-70% DCEN balance.

Post Thanks / Like

And that was welding nearly nonstop on some AL projects, nearly 3 hrs worth of work.

Post Thanks / Like

DJ was able to AC weld long enough to get the rubber smoking on the torch.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soutthpaw View Post
    So a quick update, I'm at Terry's shop right now, we set up the AHP. I just ran it on DC with 100% helium and some 3/8" plate, Was at about 120-130 amps running the beads. It does start on helium relatively well and does hold the arc fine once started. Only did a quick wire brush. The arc looks quite different with helium so need to get used to seeing the haze and helium puddle. Also really needs to be much cleaner. But pics anyway.
    It's also safe to say that the torch will get too hot to hold before hitting the duty cycle (which we didn't) on this machine.

you welded that alu on dc?
    AHP alphatig 200x
    clarke 130en MIG (first welder i ever bought)
    NT Plasma 375
    craftsman 240/180 ac/dc ARC
    custom 60x30x30 powder coating oven

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rossi...18853401526643

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by limegreentj View Post
    you welded that alu on dc?
    Yep. Machine set to kill with pedal. Once I got going with the bead was around the stated amps, (glanced up at display) which shows actual amps when welding.
    Only my second time using Helium and DC. I'll try again another time. Hopefully I can correct some of my issues and technique. I know the mistakes I made, just need some more seat time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AKweldshop View Post
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1088
Size:  113.6 KB
    Looking good! Come here and ill show you how to use that lol
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

What?

I was just flipping his picture for him.....
    Just a couple welders, big hammers, grinders, and torches.
    Work will free you.
    Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
    Trump/Carson 2016-2024

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AKweldshop View Post
    What?

I was just flipping his picture for him.....
    The force is not strong with me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    DJ was able to AC weld long enough to get the rubber smoking on the torch.
    Spent some me time yesterday trying to duplicate Southpaws smoking torch. He must have seasoned it pretty good because I could not get it to smoke. I felt the torch get warm, but then the welds started getting crappy. Checked everything. Went at it again, then about the 4 minute mark, crappy welds getting crappier, I stopped. The torch was blowing smoke. Hmmm.

Took a lunch break, went at it again and all was fine. Cool! Did some weaves and then crappy welds again. Eff it, kept going. Passed the 4 minute mark, 5 minute mark, then gave up. Torch was blowing smoke like a smoke bomb, but the torch was not that hot. All I can reckon is the power cable was burning off the varnish, or the copper cable was greasy, or glazing the ID of the power cable hose. Ground side was fine. Machine was cool. I will get to the bottom of this.

Let the torch cool and did some steel and all was fine and dandy. Went home for the weekend.
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

Show me a pic of the torch. If it's a vinyl or braided what's happening is that the lubricate they use to pull the copper line through the exterior cable is probably burning off. And no it's not normal either
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC with Flashcut CNC controls
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    Esab ET220i
    Razorweld 195 Mig
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    Tormach 770, Tormach xstech
    Carbide3d Nomad3
    Sherline 4400 CNC Lathe

Post Thanks / Like

Never had my torch smoke like that. But I have gotten it hot. Let me know what you guys find out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble View Post
    Show me a pic of the torch. If it's a vinyl or braided what's happening is that the lubricate they use to pull the copper line through the exterior cable is probably burning off. And no it's not normal either

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist