+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 116 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: AHP Owners/Users Thread. No Trolling unless you have used/own one!

Post Thanks / Like

AHP Owners/Users Thread. No Trolling unless you have used/own one!

Exactly what is says in the title. This is a thread in the other manufacturers forum for owners and folks who have used an AHP Branded product. Questions, answers, reviews, problems etc. This should make it easier for people to find info regarding these machines.
    NO AHP/CHICOM BASHING. There are already threads for that or go make your own. Positive and negative comments are great but lets keep it to actual experience. Just trying to keep one thread Drama free.
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.
    For Sale: Cobra Mig 250 w/ Push-pull gun. Lincoln Wirematic 250

Post Thanks / Like

Re: AHP Owners/Users Thread. No Trolling unless you have used/own one!

I did receive 2 Demo machines, both AHP200dx models. Currently (Shovelon) Terry has one of them and I have the other. I know Terry is real busy right now so probably won't get much chance to mess with it yet. I'm currently in a full back brace due to herniated discs, so limited at the moment on what I can do also. anyone if welcome to contact me and come play with this machine LA, or Reno area. Possibly could even arrange to visit ya if you are between the two locations, (and buying lunch) Will bring to weld-o-rama's if possible.

Anyway I just ran a few aluminum TIG beads. I definitely see what folks mean about very smooth arc. because it does not use traditional HF but rather some square wave IBGT arc, (need to get better explanation of this. Anyone?) it really feels like you are on DC. there is no buzz in the torch from the 60 cycle current. I can see and feel the HF in the Everlast Precision TIG I have. This is very different. this model does not have that silly amp adjustment on the pedal like some other machines. its all controlled on the panel. weights in at 46 1/2lbs (9lbs heavier than the PT185)
    Also it runs 6010 very well. i ran a couple beads of 3/32 6010 at 45 amps. a little sticking starting the arc but once i got going it was good to go. 75 amps for 1/8th 6010 same thing. ran even better with easy starts by moving up into the middle range for those rods. 7018 ran well too.

I would like to see Dinse 50 connectors on it rather than the smaller version it has, a faster pulse, 5PPS is a bit useless. From discussions with Terry, 60-100pps even would be a significant improvement. Last would be add a flowmeter in place of standard regulator. More to come once back is better!
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.

Post Thanks / Like

The 3rd gen machines have A/C Freq control as well!

Works just like the PowerTig 255esxt.

Just did a video showing it off..

Not sure on all the technical stuff but it seems to work very well..

Anyone in the Phoenix Az area that wants to try this machine just get in touch for directions to the shop...
    From the desk of Kevin Caron
    Trying to be the best me I can!
    www.kevincaron.com

AHP Alpha Tig 200x
    MillerMatic 251
    Miller Syncrowave 200

4. Likes vdotmatrix liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll chime in, just to say that I have one.

I've been using it only for TIG. I have no stick training. I have had only a few hours (16 hours, to be exact) of TIG training. I'm practicing my TIG while I'm also learning the machine. I run mine on 220V.

I've enjoyed using the 200X. It's a nice addition to my little oxy-mapp welder (braze, really) and my SP100+ MIG unit.

No problems so far.

Dan
    ----------------------------
    Measure twice. Weld once. Grind to size.

MIG: Lincoln SP100
    TIG/STICK: AHP Alphatig 200X

south GA where its hot in summer and cold in winter
    Post Thanks / Like

A word of clarification. If it is an Everlast unit you have Southpaw, it is not a precision TIG. It is a powerTIG and it does not have HF overlay. After the start it cuts out.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Post Thanks / Like

First Gen owner hoping to upgrade to the third gen unit in time. For the money, it is definitely a great unit. I think they spent their time designing it. As stated before, I have a hundred hours or more running it at 150+ on AC. 60/70% DCEN, and not once have I had it kick off, hit the "overheat" light, etc. Merely played with the stick feature, it said it only seems to weld DC rods, as it says on their features list 7018, 6013, etc.

All in all, I love it. Even the goofy foot amp control knob.

Post Thanks / Like

I should have said... My Alphatig is the second generation. It has the "improved" foot pedal.

I'm thinking of making a new housing that pivots the pedal at the center like the Lincoln that I trained on. Of course, I can use use that project to hone my sheet metal welding skills.

I've done a lot of practice. I'm on my third 60cf argon bottle. Most of what I practice on is 150 amps and less. I have not hit the duty limit yet.

Dan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lugweld View Post
    A word of clarification. If it is an Everlast unit you have Southpaw, it is not a precision TIG. It is a powerTIG and it does not have HF overlay. After the start it cuts out.
    Thanks, yeah my bad Powertig 185 and AHP200X (2nd Gen) not DX. Definitely too many initials and too much pain meds heh! They work better with a little Alcohol chaser. Yep the full length pedal conversion would be an interesting mod to make. In fact, something that sits on top of the existing pedal with just a cam roller at one end (to push down on existing pedal) and hinge at the other would make it function/feel similar to the old Miller RFC23-A that was on the old 330ABP and Dialarc HF machines.
    Last edited by soutthpaw; 11-27-2014 at 11:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Side by side size comparison. No idea why pic is upside down and sideways.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by soutthpaw; 11-28-2014 at 12:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I really like the one I have. It been 8 months and I have used 3 3/4 (92CF) bottles of argon. 6 people have taken welding classes on it and I have been using it on almost every tig job that has come in.

I like the foot pedal, it is crisp and has no dead spots. I mounted it to a paice of composite with rubber on the bottom so it don't slide. Just use the toes to push it down. A lot less movement on the old ankles, legs and feet ( get a lot of cramps and have arthritis in my feet and legs from 40+ years on concrete floors).

I have used the pulse and going higher would be nice, but it does work on some thin stuff I was blowing holes through even at low amps

I am still using the stock torch lead, just put a wp9 on it with gas lens and it is still working fine. I have a CK9 with the super flex hose and it seems to work better at very low amps, but on the upper side I didn't see any difference other then the torch did stay cooler.

Can't wait for my new one to get here and try it out.
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com
    Plasma Cutter and Welder Sales and Repairs--Ebay store
    Tec.Mo. Dealer Consumables for the PT and IPT torch's

Post Thanks / Like

Funny you mention the rubber feet. I have used the stick on rubber diamond plate sheets from Harbor Freight on a couple pedals. http://www.harborfreight.com/self-ad...ead-98856.html

Post Thanks / Like

Just heard there is a sale going on at AHP.

$650.00 plus shipping for the 2014 models...
    From the desk of Kevin Caron
    Trying to be the best me I can!
    www.kevincaron.com

AHP Alpha Tig 200x
    MillerMatic 251
    Miller Syncrowave 200

Post Thanks / Like

Just FYI, If you cut the zip tie on the tig hose cover. There is enough room to put a fish tape through the cover and pull the plug end of the torch switch through the cover without any disassembly of the plug needed. Then both the switch cable and hose are inside the cover. Just did this yesterday.
    Usaweld also listed an American made torch in 12 and 25 ft for these machines. http://www.usaweld.com/AHP-TIG-Torch...0xtigtorch.htm

Post Thanks / Like

I have a second generation machine (one foot pedal plug on the front panel, no amp dial on the foot pedal) that I have made some upgrades to: I replaced the torch with a 20 series water cooled CK from HTP, and I swapped out the regulator for another one I already had. Toying with the idea of upgrading the foot pedal. the current one works fine, but it slides all over the floor, and I am tired of chasing it. You can make your own upgrade with a 10K pedal and 16 mm 5 pin plug. I love the way it TIG welds on steel. Have not had much experience with it yet on aluminum. I am not a fan of the way it stick welds. At least for mine it has way too much arc force/digs into the plate too aggressively. For the money it can't be beat. But I am really disappointed they didn't come out with the AC balance control sooner. I am really bummed out about that.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

The frequency control is the only thing I think that would make this complete. And now they have it on the 3rd generation. I need to call them to see if I can get a credit on a new one for my old one, and since I took the plunge when they were "brand new"

Its a great welder regardless.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by turismolover22 View Post
    The frequency control is the only thing I think that would make this complete. And now they have it on the 3rd generation. I need to call them to see if I can get a credit on a new one for my old one, and since I took the plunge when they were "brand new"

Its a great welder regardless.
    I feel for you. I always buy high priced items the month before they announce the new model. Cell phones, computers, even cars. I would not expect a credit on the old one since they don't sell used machines. You might do better selling it locally and then buying the new model outright.

Or... you could use the philosophy that I've adopted for these cases. I ask myself "Was I satisfied the day before the new model was announced?" and if the answer is "yes", then I resume enjoying the new toy. If the answer is "no", then I rush out and buy the bigger/better/faster.

Dan

Post Thanks / Like

Louie, do you mean AC frequency control? Balance is the cleaning control. Agree the arc force is strong. I wonder if there is an internal pot for adjusting the arc force? I will see if I can get an answer to that. If actually prefer an arc force control over frequency, hopefully I'll get an opportunity to try the frequency control on the 2015 model. I'd also like to be able to use start amps and HF start on Stick mode. That was a really nice feature on my old 330 ABP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kevinacaron View Post
    Just heard there is a sale going on at AHP.

$650.00 plus shipping for the 2014 models...

The Company's website does list the 2014 models for $650.00 and the 2015 models for $800.00, but out of stock. It seems like they want to clear out the 2014 models before they start selling the 2015 models.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, you are right, frequency. My unit already has a balance control
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

What's a decent thread without a highjack? Probably not worth the effort to break up this little love-fest anyway..
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Viking 250 mig/2410 feeder
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brand X View Post
    What's a decent thread without a highjack? Probably not worth the effort to break up this little love-fest anyway..
    Cool! You bought one too? Which model?

To keep on topic... I don't see much difference in results between using the Lincoln Precision TIG 275 and the Alphatig. I'm doing OK with horizontal welds. I'm practicing aluminum now. Once I can do that predictably I will resume practicing the vertical welds.

Dan

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a good deal for the hobby guys, Wouldn't mind trying it out.

Post Thanks / Like

soutthpaw> Truly sorry about your back…. glad you were feeling well enough to start this thread through. I don’t have one of these machines and never tried one but…. I promise I'm not being a troller as you call it. I always figured these welders were a heck of a lot better quality than what some were willing to let on to in part because the manufacturers don’t sink millions and millions of $$$ into advertising that then must be passed onto the consumer.
    --
    Also too…. this comment strikes a chord, “Not sure on all the technical stuff but it seems to work very well.” I’m not into anything technical if I can avoid it…. too much neural cell activity required…. I'm just trying to figure out a way to weld year round!!!
    --
    TIG would be the natural progression after MIG…. for me at least…. so I have a question for you. You made this statement, “I did receive 2 Demo machines, both AHP200dx models”. How does one go about receiving a demo or even a refurbished machine one could use for saaaay…. 60-90 days? And why would anyone want two machines.... wouldn't one have been enough? I tried a Lincoln at the airshow up in Oshkosh for all of 5 minutes and didn’t have near the problems other newbies had and I stood around and watched others have their 5 minute TIG trials for a while. Perhaps this is because I sew which requires the use of both hands and one leg to operate a presser foot? Regardless, I got home and looked at the price tag on the Lincolns and felt like I was in need of a defibrillator.
    --
    Regardless…. it’s killing me living in the greater Chicagoland area…. the only place I have to weld with a MIG is ouside on my upper driveway… when the weather is decent as in…. not too windy…. not bitterly cold… no foot of snow to stand in and no torrential downpours. Can’t weld with a MIG in the garage like one could with a TIG because well…. our garage is attached to our house which… I sure wouldn’t want burned to the ground. The Everlast Powertig 185 IS the machine I’ve been wanting to try because I liked the features but more so because of the pricing… it’s within reach of the average “Joe” or in my case…. average “Jane” just starting out. Unfortunately, nobody I know has one and…. Reno is waaaaaaay too far away for me so…. please fill me in on demo details…. is there an application process? Did you need to provide them with a security deposit? If you did and you decide to keep the machine, will they apply the deposit to a purchase? I presume a manual came along with the machine? Is there contact information to support people should you run into any start up burps or hiccups?
    --
    One last little thing…. how about scheduling a weldorama in Chicago or Milwaukee… we can put you up at our house for free with your own bedroom and bathroom and I’d feed you well…. just don’t forget to bring that 200dx you’ve got.
    MM 211
    Smith Tru Lite O/A set, Thanks Bob!
    Lincoln AC-225
    --
    But you must not change one thing, one pebble, one grain of sand, until you know what good and evil will follow on that act. The world is in balance, in Equilibrium- Ursula K. Le Guin

Post Thanks / Like

Some dude outside of Chicago, eh? Talking behind my back I see. Men!!!!
    --
    Actually.... the eggs are pretty good.... bring your wife and that son of yours I've read about in posts and come pick some up yourself... plenty of spare bedrooms. You, my husband, and your son can go to Six Flags Great America and me and your wife can take off for Gurnee Mills with my husband's charge card and your charge card. Wheeeeeeeeeee, what fun we'll all have.
    --
    Incidentally, there's fresh chicken, rabbit, and lamb meat where the eggs came from too so bring a cooler for the drive home and I know somebody who would send you home with fresh pork too. Oh oh oh.... I forgot.... I just made 48 pints of fresh butter. The butter and eggs are especially nice for baking around the holidays... they're so fresh and thick.... wonderful in breads and pastries. The yolks are orange and really lend some color to a basic white bread. Oh.... and now that the hairy legged locusts all went back to school.... the pantry will fill back up.... there won't be any mountains of dirty laundry laying around to trip over and.... the house won't look like a HS gym locker any longer..... it will be cleeeeeeeeean again. Yay!!! Psst.... bring a TIG machine with you if you can come.
    MM 211
    Smith Tru Lite O/A set, Thanks Bob!
    Lincoln AC-225
    --
    But you must not change one thing, one pebble, one grain of sand, until you know what good and evil will follow on that act. The world is in balance, in Equilibrium- Ursula K. Le Guin

Post Thanks / Like

I will say this. Love the machine, but the manual that came woth mine was absolutely useless. It really is. I cant recall if t even had any exploded diagrams in it, it wasnt any sort of in depth book either, maybe 20 pages.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist