+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: T-Bone's Tiny (Temporary?) Truck Thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: T-Bone's Tiny (Temporary?) Truck Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by pennsylvaniaboy View Post
    Since when did an F550 ever come with coil springs?
    From 2005 up, just like the front springs on every other Super Duty.

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index....ducts_id=10190

2WD Super Duties thru F350 had front coils since '99, but all 4WD's and all F450 and F550's had leaves through 2004. From 2005 on, every Super Duty has had coils in the front.
    Last edited by user 9328330; 04-03-2017 at 01:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to the rain which is keeping me from a time-sensitive job, there has been much weeping and gnashing of teeth around here. But I've made a little progress on some other important things.

I cut the wood bumper off quite awhile ago.

Name:  P1090175.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  51.1 KB

Starting layout on the hitch part of the work deck.

Name:  P1090156.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  66.9 KB

Continued layout ...

Name:  P1090180.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  62.8 KB

The basic frame clamped in place.

Name:  P1090185.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  69.0 KB

The deck set on top to be sure the frame's in the right place. This is where I stopped tonight, after discovering the piece of 3/8" plate I had sheared at a local shop for the deck was sheared out of square by 1/4". It's tempting to say the heck with it and leave it, but I have to look at it from now on. So I have a new cut line laid out and I'll recut it with my circular saw.

Name:  P1090190.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  66.6 KB

I'll end up with around a 3.5" overhang past the bumper tube which will be good for clamping. I'm going to round the corners, will probably need to cut a little inset for the front of the vise so it can clamp something longer than deck-height at true vertical in the jaws. I can't space the vise all the way to the rear because I want to straddle the 4" x 4" bumper tube with the vise bolts, and the bumper tube's backspacing is set by the retainer pin hole location in the receiver hitch tube. The hitch is spaced so that the end of the receiver tube is flush with the back deck plate. So X determines Y determines Z. The deck's overall depth is around 18".

The vise is a Reed 204R with original copper jaw covers. It needs a good cleaning, lube, and paint job. But right now I'm just hoping to get everything on the bumper mostly done so I can head back to the job with a functional rear deck for the first time ever. I debated putting lights in the hitch tube, but have decided on reflective tape for the short run. We'll see what happens long-term.

Post Thanks / Like

One of my pet peeves is getting a piece sheared and it showing up out of square!!!!
    I would've cut it myself and been within a 1/8" if I didn't care about it being square!
    Nice job on all your work. I don't know where you find the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 6Boys View Post
    I don't know where you find the time.
    Rain days and midnights.

It's looking like I'll get this mostly done today; subframe and deck are welded on already and I've come in for a late lunch. Going to locate the vise so it can be swiveled to the side while driving so it isn't beyond the deck acting like a bumper. Also still need to fill in the gap above the 3" angle, mount the bracket for trailer wiring, and prime and paint everything. The priming / painting is almost definitely not happening today.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 6Boys View Post
    I don't know where you find the time.
    There's 24 hours in a day. If you can't get it done in that time frame you can always work nights.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duaneb55 View Post
    There's 24 hours in a day. If you can't get it done in that time frame you can always work nights.
    Yeah, right now I'm working on a major job that has a hard deadline of May 1 and have lost 4 days from rain. Tomorrow it's pedal to the metal on that job, daylight to dark. Then from there to another job on an excavator that's down for good-sized repairs. Should finish in the wee hours of the morning, then back to bed for a quick nap before time to start on the big job again.

I did get a fair bit done on the F350's work deck and it'll be usable tomorrow. Hoping to remember to toss a few cans of primer in with the tools tomorrow morning and maybe I can get a chance to shoot it with primer over lunch. There are a few things left to do before final prime and paint though. And I have no idea when I will get to them.

Post Thanks / Like

There is always winter too in that nice big shop you are going to have leased by then TBone!

Lincoln SA-250
    Lincoln SW 200
    Miller Thunderbolt
    SA-250 TMD
    Squarewave 200
    Thunderbolt AC/DC
    1951 G.E. welder

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, we will see about the shop. My wife quit her job unexpectedly last week (she has health problems), so single income family here now. We'll have to see how the expenses stack up when the time comes to decide what to do about that lease space. I was leaning towards giving it a try since the extra $1k / month wasn't going to kill me if it didn't work out, but money is tighter now.

I just got rained out of my big job AGAIN. Was planning to burn the midnight oil there tonight, guess I'm working on my business property taxes which are due May 1 instead.

In on-topic news, the work deck seems like it'll be nice although I'm not really using it on this job -- nothing really small enough to lock in the vise. Still haven't gotten it primed although I was able to beat the rain home so no rust either.

Post Thanks / Like

t-bone,
    Sorry about your wife and necessary adjustments.

VA taxes/licenses are somewhat confusing, depending on location. I went last week to renew my county business license (assuming May 1st, like state income/business) and found it was due Apr 1st. 10% penalty. Revenue commissioner tacked on the penalty then I crossed the hallway to the treasurer to pay, who added another 10%. That got fixed after some discussion about twice screwed. Treas said they didn't realize rev had already penalized me. Wonder how often that happens elsewhere (this is VA's second smallest county).
    Jerry

Jerry
    30+ yrs Army Infantry & Field Artillery, 25 yrs ago

Miller 350LX Tig Runner
    TA 210, spool gun
    Lincoln 250/250 IdealArc
    ESAB PCM 500i Plasma
    Kazoo 30" vert BS
    Kazoo 9x16 horiz BS
    Clausing 12x24 lathe
    20T Air Press

Post Thanks / Like

The personal property taxes are a County thing, so I'm sure it varies from place to place. The one local business license I keep renews every March 15. All of my other licenses are state issued, some renewing annually and some biannually.

I'm hoping my wife will be able to fill in for me on some of this paperwork, which will allow me to at least get a bit of a break when I get home rather than keep feeding time and energy into the business.

Post Thanks / Like

Hope your wife gets better. Been single income here for several years. It is tighter sometimes but better all the time. I am guessing the same front that got us got you.

Lincoln SA-250
    Lincoln SW 200
    Miller Thunderbolt
    SA-250 TMD
    Squarewave 200
    Thunderbolt AC/DC
    1951 G.E. welder

Post Thanks / Like

Like always, working on my own stuff took longer than what I wanted. But with a deadline of this Friday, I pushed the bumper on through and got it primed and painted today. Swapped the old tail and backup lights for LED's. Now I need to get a trailer flasher to get the LED's to blink at the correct rate, find the old mudflap brackets, cut new flaps and install them, and I still have to get the retro-reflective tape put on the bumper and center rear of the body. Also, going in to town tomorrow at 9 a.m. to get a new windshield, and Thursday I should have 4 new Toyo M55's arriving so I'm not driving 1200 miles on old dry-rotted tires to get my "new" SAE-400.

Here are the pics of the work deck. The vise cut is so that stuff longer than the height to the deck can be locked at true vertical in the jaws. I turn the vise 90 degrees when driving the truck, and the nose of it sticks just past the edge of the deck. Keeps it from becoming the rear bumper. I decided not to paint the majority of the flat deck, as I'm just going to be scratching it all up anyway. What paint is on there is just overspray. Think I might just rub it down with a little motor oil to keep the rust down and call it good. Going to leave the vise off until I get back from NY; no reason to haul an extra 60 lbs around for that trip.

PS - Yeah, I know the paint colors don't match. Or maybe they do if I wash the rest of the truck.

Name:  P1090239.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  84.4 KB

Name:  P1090240.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  87.0 KB

Name:  P1090244.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  94.2 KB

Name:  P1090242.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  67.2 KB

Name:  P1090243.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  40.0 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Look's GOOD!Give rhat white a few days it'll match!
    either you LIKE BACON or you're WRONG!!!! "There are three kinds of men.The ones that learn by readin'.The few who learn by observation.The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves"-Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good to me. I keep my work decks clean with a coarse flap wheel if I'm welding on them and using the deck for a ground.
    Those M-55's are the cat's... I've been running them since the mid 90's and never had a penetration flat, and I run on some nasty shale roads going to drilling and pump sites. I even ran 6 ply 55's on my '98 Ranger.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist