+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fights

Post Thanks / Like

Fights

Public notice to all.

We've had some fights lately. Some have wanted to keep bringing things up. That's not going to be tolerated.

A bit of background so you will understand past history. In the past we had some pretty bad issues with similar situations. It started off as name calling and so on. Real or just in fun, it was taken seriously. Members started to take sides and it got ugly before the threads got closed. Those involved weren't happy just letting it all drop. They went on to start other threads and pick up the fight where it left off. That didn't satisfy them as well, they took the fights to other sites, making ugly comments and so on. Many of those involved got banned, but the damage was already done. We lost a lot of really good members who weren't happy with how things got handled by the Mods at the time. Back then what Mods could or could not do was much more limited. We also lost a lot of good members who just didn't want to deal with the drama and didn't want to be involved with a site causing the kind of fights that were now going on on several other sites like Hobart, miller and several others.

Everyone gets mad and makes statements that they later regret. Or they make comments that get taken the wrong way and get interpreted in ways they were never meant. Some guys get boozed up and post things they wouldn't do otherwise. Usually a pubic slap on the wrist is enough to let most know, they went too far and need to back off. It ends there and it's no harm no foul. You get told by the Mods to let things drop and you don't, you are going to pay a penalty. In this case Kiwi can't post for 2 days.

Yes I'm making a public example of Kiwi. He's gotten a minor "ticket" for what he did. We gave him a warning the 1st time and he wanted to make a public statement in reply to Mikecwik's. Fine, I left his public statement up rather than delete it. Mikecwik got his public say, I'll give Kiwi his. However Kiwi also knew I told him NOT to respond if Mikecwik wanted to continue this, but to leave it to us. I told him specifically not to respond if he felt provoked. He was told to simply report the post or if it was a PM, forward it to a Mod. He chose not to do this, so he gets to not post for a while. He comes back and still wants to play this game, he's going to be gone. I know Zap or Steve will NOT play around, neither will I.

All of us who are Mods now saw what happened back then and will NOT let things get out of hand like that again. We are going to give people some room, but don't cross the line. Cross the line in a small way, and you are going to get slapped. Cross the line in a big way and you are gone, possibly with no warning.

If you get told to drop things and some one else doesn't want to let things go, DON'T respond. Report the post or forward the PM. We will take care of the issue depending what happened. Don't and you get to deal with the consequences even if you weren't the one starting the fight.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fights

Seems reasonable to me.
    30+ yrs Army Infantry & Field Artillery, 25 yrs ago

Miller 350LX Tig Runner
    TA 210, spool gun
    Lincoln 250/250 IdealArc
    ESAB PCM 500i Plasma
    Kazoo 30" vert BS
    Kazoo 9x16 horiz BS
    Clausing 12x24 lathe
    20T Air Press

Post Thanks / Like

i must have missed that one. the ww is too cool to let bogus bickering drag it down. good job mods!
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Post Thanks / Like

I'd also like to add, you may not see what we do when we have to take action. We may send the person causing the problem a PM rather than make a statement publicly. Many times bringing a problem out openly like that, just makes things worse, as others who don't know the whole story may want to chime in and keep things soaped up. We may simply give someone a temporary ban to make our point. I notice Kiwi's profile doesn't show that he's banned from posting at the moment. He doesn't have "banned" listed under his name like what happens when a member gets the boot permanently. It may also take a bit for us to deal with the issue. In some cases things may be a bit complicated and we may take a bit of time 1st to try and sort out what is going on vs simply pulling the trigger on some one. Also while the Mods try to keep an eye on things all the time, there are times when someone isn't watching at that minute. Or we have a bunch of issues to wade thru like reported spam and a limited amount of time we can give to dealing with it, though the spam problem is greatly reduced compared to what it once was. Holidays are a favorite time for spamers, so I expect the closer we get, the more us Mods will have to deal with over the next few weeks.

Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean nothing is being done if you reported a post/PM. If it keeps happening, just keep reporting it, don't give in to the temptation to respond and fight back. It will get dealt with, but you also need to give us a bit of time as well. In some cases we'll give someone a bit of rope and let them hang themselves.

Keep in mind though, this site isn't G rated. Welders tend to be blunt and a bit abrasive in general, especially those who do this as a living. Most also love to poke fun at people in jest. Try and use some common sense with things. If someone call you stupid or an idiot, comments on your clothing choice being a bit gay, or what ever, there's probably no reason to report it. If the person is showing a pattern of abuse and name calling in several threads or PM's, then there probably is more going on that might need to be addressed.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

I don't post a lot, but I've been here quite a while. I remember some of the "fights" you mention. I also remember some members you don't see here anymore because in large part the BS. I think the mods that are in place now do a good job keeping things under control.
    -------------------------
    Chemetron AC/DC 300 HF
    Snap-On MM300L
    Lincoln SP140
    Lincoln AC/DC 225g
    Lincoln SA200
    Lincoln SA200
    Miller Bobcat 225G
    Victor torches
    H&M and Mathey beveling machines
    McElroy Plastic pipe fusion

Post Thanks / Like

bump.

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Look what they did to me once, they don't play around. Minnesota Dave my so called buddy was taking video while BD1 Bob was jumping up and down screaming KICK HIS FCKIN AZZ, KICK HIS FCKIN AZZ!
    Name:  untitledweldpolice.jpg
Views: 1817
Size:  55.2 KB
    I hate being bi-polar it's awsome

My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys

Post Thanks / Like

Well said Doug.
    If you don't want to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Not so sure it would be easy to be called out and not respond, but instead to have to tell the teacher.
    Tim Beeker.

Post Thanks / Like

In the interests of de-ruffling feathers, would it be possible to get the "OK to EDIT" timeout advanced beyond the current 90 minutes?

Every once in a while I will post something that looks great and says just what I want, but when I read it later I realize that it could be taken in the wrong way. I NEVER want to intentionally insult the people here. Sometimes it takes the first reader's response to give me a clue that I worded it badly. If I had 12 or 24 hours it would be easier to change the badly worded post instead of having to post a followup that (hopefully) clears the air.

Dan
    ----------------------------
    Measure twice. Weld once. Grind to size.

MIG: Lincoln SP100
    TIG/STICK: AHP Alphatig 200X

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by weldermike View Post
    Look what they did to me once, they don't play around. Minnesota Dave my so called buddy was taking video while BD1 Bob was jumping up and down screaming KICK HIS FCKIN AZZ, KICK HIS FCKIN AZZ!
    I only said it once , ok twice . You can see how their recognize authority and follow directions well !

I did get them to stop when I said there is a " SIZE LIMIT " .

Post Thanks / Like

Look what they did to me once, they don't play around. ...
    Looks like they were just trying to wake you up. Sleeping on the job while pretending to weld overhead is not permitted. If you have to, wear a fixed shade helmet and light a sparkler.
    "USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250, Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    Firepower TIG 160S (gave the TA 161 STL to the son)
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches
    Miller spot welder

Post Thanks / Like

Like a redheaded step child!
    Gravel

The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference.

Post Thanks / Like

"Discovery is to see what everybody else has seen, and to think what nobody else has thought" - Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gravel View Post
    Like a redheaded step child!
    It aint easy brother, tell me about it. And I really have to start questioning my friends.
    I hate being bi-polar it's awsome

My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys

Post Thanks / Like

It aint easy brother, tell me about it. And I really have to start questioning my friends.
    I had totally red hair until I was 5. Now it is red, brown, blonde, and chrome.
    Gravel

The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Views: 1558
    STOP RESISTING! STOP RESISTING! STOP RESISTING!

Quote Originally Posted by docwelder View Post
    the ww is too cool to let bogus bickering drag it down. good job mods!
    X2 ^^
    Thanks guys!
    Hobbyist - At what point is a "hobby" out-of-control?

Post Thanks / Like

Outstanding forum. Thanks to all the Mods that help keep it this way. Please keep up the good job folks. I am retired but I, and I know I speak for others, learn a lot of things on this forum.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbstoo View Post
    In the interests of de-ruffling feathers, would it be possible to get the "OK to EDIT" timeout advanced beyond the current 90 minutes?

Every once in a while I will post something that looks great and says just what I want, but when I read it later I realize that it could be taken in the wrong way. I NEVER want to intentionally insult the people here. Sometimes it takes the first reader's response to give me a clue that I worded it badly. If I had 12 or 24 hours it would be easier to change the badly worded post instead of having to post a followup that (hopefully) clears the air.

Dan
    Cuts both ways Dan. Back when we had all the major troubles, the editing time was much longer. Guys made statements that got things soaped up, then went back in and edited out their comments. To others arriving late on the scene, it then looked like others later were making things up that had originally been said.

The edit function is a lot longer now than it was right after than whole mess. I want to say back then, after they shortened the limits eventually, you had maybe 15 minutes tops to make any corrections. Most of the sites I go to have a limited time frame of maybe an hour or so.

Time limit on editing works ok right now. You'll never be able to avoid issues with things that just don't get worded the way they were originally intended, You can't see facial and body expressions of those posting, hear inflections and so on. Emoticons can help, but is the laughing face at the end of the message, laughing at the comment or mocking the person being commented to?

Some are always going to be ready to take offense at comments, even before you write them.

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

So...anybody build a backyard trailer recently?
    1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit

Miller TB280 w/Spoolmatic 30a
    2016 AHP AlphaTIG 200X
    Ancient Millermatic 35
    Zeny Cut50 plasma cutter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by q240z View Post
    Gravel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by q240z View Post
    Yes, but with an Harbor freight 70v welder so can't post

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbstoo View Post

Dan

The message here is that you REALLY should preview your post BEFORE you hit bye bye...
    You can do that yaknow???

I have to because of the position I am in and trust me...
    Lots of "Rewording" happens... because it has to.

...zap!

I am not completely insane..
    Some parts are missing

Professional Driver on a closed course....
    Do not attempt.

Just because I'm a dumbass don't mean that you can be too.
    So DON'T try any of this **** l do at home.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm guilty of saying things that offend others. Usually I'm taken completely off guard to learn they were offended. This evening I asked my wife where the grated cheese was. After standing too long with the refrigerator door open, she got up, came in to the kitchen, and found it. I pointed out if it were put in the same place each time it would save time, energy, and ultimately, the planet.

I hate the guest room!

I'm a failure at understanding what will set someone off.

Thinking back, I should have been more sensitive to Kiwi's feelings.
    Last edited by Willie B; 12-13-2014 at 08:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, they had to do it more than once, pics were blurry from me laughing and shaking the camera
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist